The Jay Cutler Hype

I can totally see it happen. I could actually see someone try to jump ahead of NY to grab one of the three. The Jests could actually draft someone like Reggie Bush out of sheer dumb luck.

Either way, we need line help and if D'Brick is there, we grab him with both hands!

Eric Winston?  Certainly not an 8 so far, but he is good and fills a need. That would not be the best scenario for us.

585621[/snapback]

No way do we draft Winston at 8. He's projected late-1st, maybe early 2nd. I don't even think he's the THIRD best OT. I'd have to put Winston Justice, Marcus McNeill, and maybe even Jonathan Scott ahead of him.

that leave us with Kiawanuka, I´m all for it.

Not with the way I saw him play in BC's bowl game and the way he's been being "pwned" at Senior Bowl practices.

Kambla Hali would be the next best DE. And with the way Manny Lawson has been beasting it, he might jump ahead of Mathias as well.

No way do we draft Winston at 8. He's projected late-1st, maybe early 2nd. I don't even think he's the THIRD best OT. I'd have to put Winston Justice, Marcus McNeill, and maybe even Jonathan Scott ahead of him.

585845[/snapback]

Just say NO to jonathan Scott, another fat UT lineman. Word form the senior bowl is that his stock has really fallen, and hes now being projected as a late 2nd to 3rd round pick. (i dont have the link)

You know I'm not a big fan of Mortensen, but I think he's dead on with Cutler. However, I'm not too sure that even with a good senior bowl/combine that he's going to jump into the top 10....UNLESS chad pennington cannot return to the Jets with his injuries. So right now a lot revolves on outside factors where Cutler will go.

Here's how I see it:

Pennington returns

1.) Houston - Reggie Bush, RB USC

2.) New Orleans - Vince Young, QB Texas

3.) Tennessee - Matt Leinart, QB USC

4.) New York Jets - Mario Williams, DE N.C. State

5.) Green Bay - A.J. Hawk, LB Ohio State

6.) San Francisco - Toss up between Ngata, Hali, Huff (probably best athlete available)

7.) Oakland - Ngata or Williams, maybe White

Pennington isnt good to go

4.) New York Jets - Cutler

6.) San Francisco - Mario Williams

7.) Oakland - Ngata or Hali, maybe Williams

Still a little early for a solid mock though...lots of factors that need to be determined

You know I'm not a big fan of Mortensen, but I think he's dead on with Cutler.  However, I'm not too sure that even with a good senior bowl/combine that he's going to jump into the top 10....UNLESS chad pennington cannot return to the Jets with his injuries.  So right now a lot revolves on outside factors where Cutler will go.

Here's how I see it:

Pennington returns

4.) New York Jets - Mario Williams, DE N.C. State

6.) San Francisco - Toss up between Ngata, Hali, Huff (probably best athlete available)

7.) Oakland - Ngata or Williams, maybe White

Pennington isnt good to go

4.) New York Jets - Cutler

6.) San Francisco - Mario Williams

7.) Oakland - Ngata or Hali, maybe Williams

Still a little early for a solid mock though...lots of factors that need to be determined

585858[/snapback]

No way does New York take Mario Williams over D'Brickashaw Ferguson.

Note that the report on the Jets' liking Cutler said that they would be interested in trading DOWN to draft him, meaning that they would not take him with the #4 pick.

585864[/snapback]

Well that makes...taking him at #4 would be plain nuts...no?

Considering that right after the Bills pick, the Lions pick and need a QB, the Jets might not want to risk losing him and will think long and hard about taking Cutler at #4. Or they could say, call up the Bills at #8, offer slightly less in trade than the points value chart would indicate. In any case, the Jets being interested in Cutler is good news for the Bills.

but he isnt. leinhart has a noodle arm. cutler will be far and away the better pro than leinhart will be. Personally i'd take vince young before either.

585613[/snapback]

What's the matter? Don't you want a brittle pocket QB with bad knees starting behind our stellar line?

Just think of all those fantasy-world 10 second to develop, drop back and zip it, bombs that he feathers in behind quadruple coverage when you see him get hit in the chops and riding out on the back of the cart.

I agree.

But my nightmare scenario is the following draft, with no trade down partner:

2.) New Orleans - Matt Leinart, QB USC

3.) Tennessee - Vince Young, QB Texas

4.) New York Jets - D'Brickashaw Ferguson, OT Virginia

6.) San Francisco - Mario Williams, DE N.C. State

7.) Oakland - Haloti Ngata, DT Oregon

If Williams, Ngata, and Ferguson are off the board; there isn't another DT or OT worth taking at #8. Some could argue Tambla Hali may be worth #8, but I think that would be a tad of a stretch (anyone else would be a MAJOR stretch).

If there's no market for a trade, what would we do?

585619[/snapback]

I'd LOVE this scenario because then the Bills could take Cutler; using picks 2, 3, and 3 for the OL. This draft is DEEP on the OL, so there's no sense wasting picks in rounds 2 or 3 on anything else.

Trading partner or not- Marv will not trade on draft day

585697[/snapback]

Where is this Marv will not make a trade thing coming from? Has Marv come out and said he doesn't believe in trades? I know no one is suggesting that he has shown this tendency in his previous experience as a GM. I'm not busting your balls, I'm seriously wondering were this is coming from.

Considering that right after the Bills pick, the Lions pick and need a QB, the Jets might not want to risk losing him and will think long and hard about taking Cutler at #4.  Or they could say, call up the Bills at #8, offer slightly less in trade than the points value chart would indicate.  In any case, the Jets being interested in Cutler is good news for the Bills.

585883[/snapback]

teams are starting the propaganda hype to increase the likelihood that someone will trade with them.

if Bills were serious about a trade, they would be interested in Cutler too

Where is this Marv will not make a trade thing coming from? Has Marv come out and said he doesn't believe in trades? I know no one is suggesting that he has shown this tendency in his previous experience as a GM. I'm not busting your balls, I'm seriously wondering were this is coming from.

586400[/snapback]

after Polian left, Marv was VP in charge of football operations for the Bills, including being the boss of Butler. Butler was the talent evaluator, but Marv had final say on the picks.

The Bills never made any draft day trades during this time and the stated rationale was that they would let the draft come to them and they would stay true to their draft board.

This fits Marv's conservative philosphy. He is not a wheeler dealer like Teflon Tom who was looking to get on Sports Center for the next shocking personnel move.

teams are starting the propaganda hype to increase the likelihood that someone will trade with them.

Well the Jets bit on the Dwayne Robertson hype a couple years ago. Why not again?

if Bills were serious about a trade, they would be interested in Cutler too

Actually Marv has said that he's high on Cutler. I guess he's learning quickly about the draft and how to wheel and deal!

Edited by MadBuffaloDisease