(OT) Help me with my music collection

ajzepp

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm into story/concept albums where you're basically listening to a 60-90 minute movie done with music instead of pictures.  These are some of the best.

Ayreon - Into the Electric Castle

Ayreon - The Human Equation

-- Ayreon is different than most traditional bands in that there's only one guy.  He then brings in new singers for each album.  The Human Equation is HIGHLY recommended -- I've been listening to it non-stop for well over a month.

Shadow Gallery - Tyranny (one of my favorite albums)

Savatage - Dead Winter Dead (it's a story about the war-torn country of Serejvo (sp?)

Savatage - Streets: A Rock Opera

Savatage - Wake of Megellan

Savatage - Of Poets and Madment

Dream Theater - Scenes from a Memory (although all Dream Theater albums are great, this is my favorite)

Trans-Siberian Orchestra - Christmas Eve and Other Stories

Trans-Siberian Orchestra - The Christmas Attic

Trans-Siberian Orchestra - Beethoven's Last Night

-- If you get a chance to see them live, GO FOR IT!  It's an amazing concernt.  I went last year with my wife, her parents and her grandmother (81 years old).  I didn't realize it was going to be quite as loud as it was (some parts definately start rocking), and was afraid her mom and grandmother would hate me forever for bringing them to rock concert.  After the show, her grandmother said, "That was AWESOME!" and then followed up with, "I didn't like the slow parts as much.  They got a little boring.".  Go grandma!!! :lol:

http://www.trans-siberian.com/ontour/index.php

Let me know if you get any of these and what you think of 'em! :w00t:

CW

42627[/snapback]

I will definitely let you know, thanks! The concept you are describing is very interesting to me.....can't wait to check this out!

Thanks to all you guys again, this is awesome.....exactly what I was hoping for :w00t:

I haven't gotten Sketches b/c Jeff wanted to scrap it and start over before his drowning. But Grace is HIGHLY recommended. Just recently got the Legacy Edition remaster. He basically started the "emo" genre, but that's reductive to his entire style. Great voice and actual FEELING in the words and music. I can't tell you how many artists name him as a big influence.

I'd also suggest Jane Monheit - "Come Dream With Me"

42629[/snapback]

I never heard that about Sketches...

What I heard was that he wanted to use a New Producer that the Lable was not thrilled with...So he got them to give him enough time with his Producer to put together two tracks which were supposed to be "The Sky Is A Landfill" and "Everybody Here Wants You." In typical Jeff Buckley genious fashion he did all of sketches in that span of time, which is like 11 Songs plus...I believe the version of "Satisfied Mind" on the 2nd CD is a Live track... Anyway, I don't believe any of Sketches was ever intended to be the final product. I think it was more of a demo to prove the Producer to the Lable...

I LOVE Sketches, and I think it shows that Buckley was growing musically at a rapid pace...

He was a genious, and the Music world misses him every day... B)

Okay, I wasn't going to delve into any of these suggestions for another couple of weeks, but yesterday I went out and picked up Jeff Buckley "Grace", Ayreon's "Human Equation" and Dream Theater's "Scenes from a Memory". I was pretty interested in Fezmid's description of the last two - the whole rock opera thing is not something I have really heard much of. I am through the first of the 2 discs, and I have to say I'm pretty excited about it. It's very dramatic and engaging, and I found myself almost with a "need" to hear all the lyrics. I'm definitely looking forward to hearing the second part of it. My only disappointment was that when I heard it in the car, I was excited about hearing all that instrumentation on my home system, which is very very good. I anticipated the recording to be in the "excellent" category, but found it to be simply good or maybe a little more than good. I wanted badly to consider it among my reference CDs, but just couldn't. But overall it was a good recording and this type of music was very appealing......great recommendation! I'm looking forward to giving Dream Theater an audition this weekend <_<

Jeff Buckley......what can I say? I honestly had never even heard of this guy, but wow, what a talent. Intelligent, profound lyrics combined with a signature voice that can almost be considered "haunting" given the fact that he has passed away. (Sort of freaked me out that he passed on my birthday.....not sure why, but it did lol.) Anyway, again, the sound quality of the recording was good, not great.....but the music was amazing. Another great recommendation!

Thanks again to all you guys who helped me out :)

Okay, I wasn't going to delve into any of these suggestions for another couple of weeks, but yesterday I went out and picked up Jeff Buckley "Grace", Ayreon's "Human Equation" and Dream Theater's "Scenes from a Memory". I was pretty interested in Fezmid's description of the last two - the whole rock opera thing is not something I have really heard much of. I am through the first of the 2 discs, and I have to say I'm pretty excited about it. It's very dramatic and engaging, and I found myself almost with a "need" to hear all the lyrics. I'm definitely looking forward to hearing the second part of it. My only disappointment was that when I heard it in the car, I was excited about hearing all that instrumentation on my home system, which is very very good. I anticipated the recording to be in the "excellent" category, but found it to be simply good or maybe a little more than good. I wanted badly to consider it among my reference CDs, but just couldn't. But overall it was a good recording and this type of music was very appealing......great recommendation!  I'm looking forward to giving Dream Theater an audition this weekend <_<

Jeff Buckley......what can I say? I honestly had never even heard of this guy, but wow, what a talent. Intelligent, profound lyrics combinded with a signature voice that can almost be considered "haunting" given the fact that he has passed away. (Sort of freaked me out that he passed on my birthday.....not sure why, but it did lol.) Anyway, again, the sound quality of the recording was good, not great.....but the music was amazing. Another great recommendation!

44977[/snapback]

Glad you enjoyed Human Equation. My wife says that you'll like Dream Theater's "Scenes from a Memory" MUCH better. :) (not sure if I agree; but they're both excellent). :)

I think I'll check out Jeff Buckley myself based on your recommendation. :)

CW

Okay, I wasn't going to delve into any of these suggestions for another couple of weeks, but yesterday I went out and picked up Jeff Buckley "Grace", Ayreon's "Human Equation" and Dream Theater's "Scenes from a Memory". I was pretty interested in Fezmid's description of the last two - the whole rock opera thing is not something I have really heard much of. I am through the first of the 2 discs, and I have to say I'm pretty excited about it. It's very dramatic and engaging, and I found myself almost with a "need" to hear all the lyrics. I'm definitely looking forward to hearing the second part of it. My only disappointment was that when I heard it in the car, I was excited about hearing all that instrumentation on my home system, which is very very good. I anticipated the recording to be in the "excellent" category, but found it to be simply good or maybe a little more than good. I wanted badly to consider it among my reference CDs, but just couldn't. But overall it was a good recording and this type of music was very appealing......great recommendation!  I'm looking forward to giving Dream Theater an audition this weekend :)

Jeff Buckley......what can I say? I honestly had never even heard of this guy, but wow, what a talent. Intelligent, profound lyrics combinded with a signature voice that can almost be considered "haunting" given the fact that he has passed away. (Sort of freaked me out that he passed on my birthday.....not sure why, but it did lol.) Anyway, again, the sound quality of the recording was good, not great.....but the music was amazing. Another great recommendation!

44977[/snapback]

Glad you like the Buckley...Maybe I should not say this but that CD has worked for Me with Women like magic. My current Girlfriend attacked me the 1st time I played it for her... <_< The chicks love Jeff!

Interesting thing about Jeff is that he always recorded "Live" with the whole Band and rarely did much overdubbing. The fact he could sing like that while playing is really amazing...He'll always be one of my all time favorite Artists. I really miss him a ton... B)

Glad you like the Buckley...Maybe I should not say this but that CD has worked for Me with Women like magic. My current Girlfriend attacked me the 1st time I played it for her... <_<  The chicks love Jeff!

Interesting thing about Jeff is that he always recorded "Live" with the whole Band and rarely did much overdubbing. The fact he could sing like that while playing is really amazing...He'll always be one of my all time favorite Artists. I really miss him a ton... B)

45001[/snapback]

Speaking of "live" studio recording, Warren Haynes & Gov't Mule have always made it a point to record that way.

btw, KOK, I have this Gov't Mule CD called "The Deep End - Vol 1". It was done as a tribute album for the late Allen Woody, their bass player. It came out in 2001. A lot of guest bassist and guitarists. Jerry Cantrell appears on it......only he doesn't play the guitar. He sings back up vocal on a tune called "Effigy". Best song on the CD. Starts off as a sluggish southern-rock/blues that erupts into a heavy footstomper in the Molly Hatchet mode. WOW. awesome tune and CD.

the Mule rocks.

Speaking of "live" studio recording, Warren Haynes & Gov't Mule have always made it a point to record that way.

btw, KOK, I have this Gov't Mule CD called "The Deep End - Vol 1". It was done as a tribute album for the late Allen Woody, their bass player. It came out in 2001. A lot of guest bassist and guitarists. Jerry Cantrell appears on it......only he doesn't play the guitar. He sings back up vocal on a tune called "Effigy". Best song on the CD. Starts off as a sluggish southern-rock/blues that erupts into a heavy footstomper in the Molly Hatchet mode. WOW. awesome tune and CD.

the Mule rocks.

45012[/snapback]

Good call on that one ByTor. I'm cranking up Gov't Mule, Live at the Roseland Ballroom right now! I was fortunate enough to see the Mule open for Jethro Tull before Allen Woody died.

If I could pick one guitarist to emulate, it would be Warren Haynes. He's just so versatile, he always seems to know what to play. I heard he rocked it playing with The Dead this summer...

Good call on that one ByTor. I'm cranking up Gov't Mule, Live at the Roseland Ballroom right now! I was fortunate enough to see the Mule open for Jethro Tull before Allen Woody died.

If I could pick one guitarist to emulate, it would be Warren Haynes. He's just so versatile, he always seems to know what to play. I heard he rocked it playing with The Dead this summer...

45069[/snapback]

Live at Roseland Ballroom!!!! I love the instrumental "Trane". Seldom have I heard 3 guys play so tight as a unit as they do on that song.

I saw them in April of this year. They came to Tempe's Marquee Theatre. AWESOME place to see a show, an old converted movie theatre. I also saw them in Scottsdale (Cajun Club) shortly after Woody died. They had Widespread Panic's bass player (don't know his name).

When Warren plays, I get goose bumps. Nuff said.

Oh, and check this out (new CD):

http://stores.musictoday.com/store/product...5Fid=322&sfid=2

and this!!!!:

http://www.mule.net/tracks.html

<_<

45008[/snapback]

Yeah, any pink floyd is a necessity - early Barrett era is great! And "Wish you were Here" is their best CD, IMO. But that changes from month to month. Last month I could not put down Animals, and before that it was "Soundtrack from the Film More."

Also, a new band I am starting to really like is The Polyphonic Spree. They are a great alternative to the stevestojan that is out now. Their web site is very cool, check it out at polyphonic spree

Much like Fez, I'm big into the whole prog/concept album scene. I love all the Dream Theater and Shadow Gallery albums, and I just recently found out about Ayreon and bought "Into the Electric Castle" - great stuff! I'd classify all that as prog-metal. For something not-as-hard, here are some symphonic prog-rock recommendations from my corner of the universe:

The Flower Kings ("Space Revolver" is a good starting point, but they're all amazing. If you're really brave, check out "Flower Power")

Spock's Beard ("Snow" is a masterpiece - a two disc tour-de-force musical story that is reminiscent of The Who's "Tommy")

Marillion (one of my favorite albums of all time is "Misplaced Childhood." The vocalist sounds eeriely similar to Peter Gabriel)

Transatlantic (a super-group comprised of members from the above three bands plus Dream Theater's drummer Mike Portnoy - they made only two albums, and I HIGHLY recommend both, as these guys are virtuoso musicians and have a sound that pays homage to groups like ELP, Yes, and Genesis....btw the two albums are "SMPTe" and "Bridge Across Forever")

All of the above are availabe on Amazon....so, go buy and ENJOY!

B)

Scanning through I didn't see any posts for a country group. A current band I really like is "Emerson Drive" out of Canada. There latest Cd "What If" is a must have. They have a sound that bridges country and rock very successfully. In fact cut number 6, "November" has become my favorite all time song. All time is a long time as I am 53 years old!!!

my recommendations, and my favorite album by each:

Steve Earle- The revolution starts...NOW.

Luna- Penthouse

Nick Cave- And no more shall we part

Rufus Wainwright- Poses

Liz Phair- Exile in Guyville

Ben Folds five- The unauthorized biography of reinhold messner

Alice Donut- The untidy suicides of your degenerate children

Shane macgowan- Crock of gold

musically, there is everything here from blaring punk rock to dreamy psychedelica to alt country to gay piano crooning (and more!), but i love all these artists because they are all such great lyricists. in fact, i am currently very stoked that i have 5th row seats to see rufus tonight in bethlehem pa.

enjoy your search!

Scanning through I didn't see any posts for a country group.  A current band I really like is "Emerson Drive" out of Canada. There latest Cd "What If" is a must have. They have a sound that bridges country and rock very successfully. In fact cut number 6, "November" has become my favorite all time song. All time is a long time as I am 53 years old!!!

45368[/snapback]

Yep, I wasn't going to admit this, but a few years ago my ex-wife turned me on to contemporary country music via osmosis. I HATE traditional/old country, but I have to admit that I find myself really liking some of the newer artists. Tim McGraw, Kenny Chesney, Rascal Flats.....I didn't really think I'd like any of them, but in all honesty some of their stuff is pretty good. Martina McBride.....her voice is amazing, and she's a hottie, too. There is new artist called Julie Roberts who has a decent song or two, but DAMN is she pretty.....check her out: http://www.cmt.com/artists/az/roberts_julie/flipbooks.jhtml

But anyway, the point was that I agree, there is some good modern country....and Emerson Drive is pretty good, too. "I should be Sleepin" and "Fall into You" are a couple good songs that got some air play.