Young QB

That offence was set up for a new QB to come in and learn as he played.  He was not asked to throw 24-30 times a game.  I think the offence should get most of the credit there.

583901[/snapback]

:doh: You're the one who asked the question. It's been answered.

I dont believe Marino came into his own until his 2nd or 3rd season.

583907[/snapback]

Marino broke records in his 2nd and 3rd seasons. In his first season he only led the Dolphins to a 12-4 record.

You ask a question. We answer, then you discount them. Is there a point to this?

My point is there are way more great QBs that started slow and developed into superstars(Kelly,Elway,Young,Manning,Favre). 
I don't think you'll find too much disagreement on that.

I think everyone is jumping the gun on JP.

583916[/snapback]

So that's where you were going. Fair enough. But you could have just said that here -- nobody would have jumped all over you or anything. In fact, you'd be in the majority. :doh:

That offence was set up for a new QB to come in and learn as he played.  He was not asked to throw 24-30 times a game.  I think the offence should get most of the credit there.

583901[/snapback]

You've got to be kidding right, while Pittsburgh's offense was based on the run, the fact remains though with all the steelers injuries on line and at RB in 2004, ben shouldered a helluva lot more than what you are thinking....give the kid his due as he more than avoided the sophmore jinx with another fine season again this year!!!

You've got to be kidding right, while Pittsburgh's offense was based on the run, the fact remains though with all the steelers injuries on line and at RB in 2004, ben shouldered a helluva lot more than what you are thinking....give the kid his due as he more than avoided the sophmore jinx with another fine season again this year!!!

584063[/snapback]

A lot of people argued that Big Ben was never asked to win just not make mistakes last year. That may have been true his first few games, but when he was called upon to perform he did. Ben still maintained a passer rating of 98.1 for the year (5th in the league in 04).

What was the most impressive was when he was behind in the 3rd or 4th his QB rating was over 105 in 04. FYI, this year when he is behind his QB rating is 115. The kid is the real deal. He had a 98.6 passer rating for the 05 regular season (3rd). Oh and for his 3 playoff appearances this year he has a 124.8 rating (1st).

Too bad we couldn't move ahead of Pittsburgh in the draft to get Ben. Then again he would have been killed by our lack of OL.

I dont believe Marino came into his own until his 2nd or 3rd season.

583907[/snapback]

Back in 1983, when Fergie had probably his best day as a Bill QB and threw for 419 yards in a shoot out win against the Dolphins, the opposing QB was a kid named Marino, who threw for over 300 yards IIRC. Marino, played in 11 games as a rookie, threw for approx 2200 yards, 20-TDS and only 6 -INTS. By the way, he completed over 58% of his passes.

In only his second year, he threw for over 5000 yards, and 48-TDs

As much as I disliked Marino, he came ready to play from day one......