Dick the Philanthropist

In one of the articles today, they tell the story of when a rookie DB, whose paycheck somehow was late, was all panicky because he needed the money for things like day care payments.

I was ready to reach for my hanky when I read what Jauron did to help the lad. He told him to get on the field and play, and forget about the check. Call the people he owes money, and tell them they'll have to wait!

Wow, what a fantastic human thing go do!!

Or maybe he could call the front office and ask them where the hell this kid's check might be, or even front him a few bucks till it gets resolved.

But no, he told him to go on the field and hit somebody.

That may have been the right thing to do, but I don't think it illustrates any big hearted player friendly nature.

In one of the articles today, they tell the story of when a rookie DB, whose paycheck somehow was late, was all panicky because he needed the money for things like day care payments.

I was ready to reach for my hanky when I read what Jauron did to help the lad.  He told him to get on the field and play, and forget about the check.  Call the people he owes money, and tell them they'll have to wait!

581514[/snapback]

It's because Dick knows that on the street, Day Care = Crack

I was ready to reach for my hanky when I read what Jauron did to help the lad.  He told him to get on the field and play, and forget about the check.  Call the people he owes money, and tell them they'll have to wait!

Or maybe he could call the front office and ask them where the hell this kid's check might be, or even front him a few bucks till it gets resolved.

That may have been the right thing to do, but I don't think it illustrates any big hearted player friendly nature.

581514[/snapback]

I thought the same thing. The way the story was going I thought FOR SURE he was going to float him the money... :D

the kid is in the nfl, do you really think the day care would be overly concerned about his payment. common man. would your boss give you the money? how do we know that Jauron did not look to one of his assitants to get on it ASAP. Stop looking for dirt, give the guy a goddam chance!

581514[/snapback]

Just like when I was 17 years old and called in to work and said I couldn't make it in because my car broke down. The manager said "I don't see how that is my problem, if you want your job, find a way to get here". Yeah it was harsh, and I was ticked, but I found a way to work and learned a very valuable lesson. The young man had a job to do, and that job, done well would indeed make his financial problems disappear. Sounds line tough love to me.

Also, even at league minimus I have a hard time with poor professional athlete stories.

well that goes totally against everything that was posted on the bears board that was linked here yesterday, people love to play for the guy, he just has deficiencies in "bettering" them. lets here from the rookie db to see what he got out of that encounter

My point is, and it's in my original post....that they used this as an example of what a "player's coach" this guy Jauron has been.

I said that may have been the right thing to do. 

I just don't think it makes sense to put it in as a measure of the man's big heart.

581524[/snapback]

well that goes totally against everything that was posted on the bears board that was linked here yesterday, people love to play for the guy, he just has deficiencies in "bettering" them.  lets here from the rookie db to see what he got out of that encounter

581527[/snapback]

how about it was just an asinine anectdote used to illustrate DJ's player's coach mentality?

I'm not questioning Jauron, I'm questioning the writer.

I tuned in and heard some of the press conference. I'm off the ledge. I'm on board. Actually excited to have somebody besides TD and his gang running the ship.

Because I am a Bills fan, I reserve the right to make crazy statements and retract from them once I come out of the ether.

My point is, and it's in my original post....that they used this as an example of what a "player's coach" this guy Jauron has been.

I said that may have been the right thing to do. 

I just don't think it makes sense to put it in as a measure of the man's big heart.

581524[/snapback]

So, how do you know what was going on in DJ's head? You are looking at a snapshot of a moment and making a judgement call. What happened before? What happened after? The simple fact is we need a tough coach, not a buddy for the players. The authority figures in my life that I respect the most as I look back are not the ones who stroked me to make me feel good, but the ones who challenged me, and disciplined me. The guys who kicked me in the shorts when I needed it.

Would you go to your boss at the most crucial time of the work week, when his attention needs to be on the task at hand and talk to him about a personal problem? Timing is everything. Professionals do their job! Flat out! The DB had a job to do.

So, how do you know what was going on in DJ's head?  You are looking at a snapshot of a moment and making a judgement call.  What happened before?  What happened after?  The simple fact is we need a tough coach, not a buddy for the players.  The authority figures in my life that I respect the most as I look back are not the ones who stroked me to make me feel good, but the ones who challenged me, and disciplined me.  The guys who kicked me in the shorts when I needed it.

Would you go to your boss at the most crucial time of the work week, when his attention needs to be on the task at hand and talk to him about a personal problem?  Timing is everything.  Professionals do their job!  Flat out!  The DB had a job to do.

581534[/snapback]

I am not questioning Jauron. I'm criticizing the inclusion of this little ditty as an example of his largesse.

I agree that the DB should focus on the field, and handle his business in the 4 hours a day he has during training camp for such a purpose.

581514[/snapback]

The statement is a whole lot easier to understand and a lot less damning when taken in context.

From Rodney McKissik's article in the Buffalo News:

"Butler recalls a time when Jauron was in Green Bay, and a free agent rookie defensive back didn't receive his check on time and a huge child care bill needed to be paid. The player's thoughts were on his family, and not the upcoming game, until Jauron pulled him aside.

"He told him that when he's on the field, that's the only way he can pay for those things," Butler said. "Just go out and make plays. He told them to tell the people whenever he gets paid, that's when they'll get their money. A lot of coaches wouldn't get involved in anything like that. He's a special guy."

Here's the full article: http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20060...?tbd1036301.asp

I agree that it needs to be taken into context. Here's the preceding paragraph:

"He treats men like men," said Bills right guard Chris Villarrial, who played for Jauron in Chicago. "He enjoys the game, he loves the game and he's always straightforward with you. You always know where you stand with him. You can talk to him about family. Once he meets your family once, he remembers everyone's name. He'll ask you every day how everybody is."

I took that as a setup to what a family guy he is, and then I thought it was not a family type response to the DB's situation. I thought it was a Lombardi like response, which I like.

But hardly the Bighearted Bennie type counseling that was implied.

After reading all these responses, I can see how it could be interpreted either way.

OK, I did not get that when I read it.

I'm not questioning Jauron, I'm questioning the writer. 

I tuned in and heard some of the press conference.  I'm off the ledge.  I'm on board.  Actually excited to have somebody besides TD and his gang running the ship.

Because I am a Bills fan, I reserve the right to make crazy statements and retract from them once I come out of the ether.

581533[/snapback]

I believe in paying people on a Monday, rather than on a Friday. That way money for family needs is not blown on weekend caberets. And if one wants weekend yahoos, one learns the value of bugeting.

All in all, it makes for a better economic life and a happier family life, especially for the young just starting out.

Just a general observation - nothing to do with this post.