How do you feel about the hiring of Dick Jauron?

103 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about the hiring of Dick Jauron?

• Im p'd off!
    • I'm okay with it
    • Im very happy
    • other

I'll wait until I see his staff before passing intial judgement.

578082[/snapback]

i'd actually wait til it's announced before i pass judgement. But, i've always said I can deal with it, if it happens.

I did a little digging, here's what I think the link should have been

Linky

578176[/snapback]

Thats not it either...its suppose to say this:

Why Dick Jauron will never be a successful NFL coach

Dec 13, 2005 | 4:53PM | report this I sort of feel bad for Dick Jauron. I think his biggest fault while he was here in Chicago was that he wasn’t Mike Ditka. He didn’t yell and scream on the sidelines. He didn’t try to become a “Chicago guy”. He was just a nameless, faceless coordinator when the Bears hired him to try and steer the “Good Ship Wannstedt” back into placid waters. He was Coach of the Year in Chicago in 2001, in a year that looks more and more like an aberration, the more data you stack up against it. Even we hard-core Bears’ fans would admit, “we got every bounce” during the 13-3 season which lead to a playoff loss to the Eagles in the divisional round.

I mentioned in yesterday’s blog that I felt Detroit made enough mistakes on the Sunday night game to fill up the Internet. That might be a slight exaggeration, but I want to show this sequence of plays at the end of regulation. It’s sequences like these that maddened Bears’ fans and may explain why Jauron may not be a head coach again:

(Note: the time and result of each play is from nfl.com’s “full play-by-play” feature)

3-16-GB 31: (1:59) B. Favre right end to GB 38 for 7 yards.

Analysis: Okay, the game is tied at 13, and the Lions have stopped the Packers. They're punting. Are the Lions going to take a shot at winning the game, or are they just going to run the clock out and try for overtime? Seems to me that given the circumstances, I would take a shot for overtime. You’re on the road and the 13-3 lead you had in the first half is gone. Samkon Gado is gashing your run defense, and you don’t have an answer on offense. The longer this game goes, the greater advantage to Green Bay, in my opinion.

4-9-GB 38: (1:13) B. Sander punts 36 yards to DET 26. R. McQuarters to DET 30 for 4 yards. Penalty on DET-S. McHugh, Illegal Block Above the Waist, 10 yards, enforced at DET 30

Analysis: Forty-six seconds ticked off the clock, so the strategy appears to be to run out the clock. I don’t agree with it, but at least there’s a discernible strategy. I also don’t think R. W. McQuarters is a very good defensive back, but he’s a dangerous punt returner. Yet he never gets the chance here because one of his guys threw a block in the back. Not good discipline.

1-10-DET 20: (1:02) A. Pinner pushed out of bounds at DET 24 for 4 yards.

Analysis: If you’re trying to run out the clock and play for overtime, why are you calling running plays that have a chance to get knocked out of bounds?

2-6-DET 24: (:56) A. Pinner right guard to DET 31 for 7 yards.

Analysis: Detroit picks up a first down. So now you’ve atoned for your mistake in going out of bounds on the previous running play. You can run the clock out and play for overtime. But wait…Detroit calls time out?! Getting a first down is now making Jauron think, “Hmm, maybe we can get into field goal range after all.” It’s this type of thinking that drove Bears’ fans nuts. Dick, you already laid out your strategy by letting 46 seconds tick off the clock before Green Bay punted to you, and now you’re changing your mind mid-stream? You're at the 31. It's going to take a few plays to get into field goal range.

1-10-DET 31: (:45) J. Garcia pass incomplete to S. Vines.

Analysis: So now you’ve switched over to actually trying to win the game in regulation. You’re in no-man’s land right now. You don’t exactly have the Colts’ offense, and you’re asking them to move about 40-45 yards in :45 seconds. Not impossible, but again, why didn’t you just decide to do this in the first place? Then you’d have 1:30 on the clock, not :45.

2-10-DET 31: (:40) J. Garcia pass incomplete to R. Williams

Analysis: Now that’s two straight incompletions, and you’re facing 3rd and 10. Now you’re REALLY in no-man’s land. Can you get a first down, or are you going to flop back to running out the clock?

3-10-DET 31: (:37) S. Bryson right tackle pushed out of bounds at DET 37 for 6 yards.

Analysis: Pushed out of bounds without getting the first down?! Now you have to give the ball back to Green Bay with about :30 on the clock.

So to summarize Detroit’s strategy: they were playing for overtime. Then they got enough yards in their minds to start playing for the win in regulation. Then they had a couple of incompletions and decided most of the way through to go back to playing for overtime. Then they couldn’t run out the clock, so they had to give the ball back to Green Bay. This happened all in the span of 25 game seconds, mind you.

This is Jauron’s legacy. He’s like a Texas Hold’em player who won’t bet big until he’s sure he has the best hand. The problem is, by that point, most of the players have left the pot, and your chance to score big winnings has gone out the window. Oh, sure, you’ll still win a little bit, but not nearly as much as if you’d decided up front that you were going to be aggressive. And it’s why he never was, and never will be, a big winner as a coach.

I'm not happy, I am not unhappy.

The way I look at it, we have to wait and see how things develop:

Who will be the coaching staff??

What systems will be used???

Who will be the conditioning coach???

Will the players react towards a TEAM culture, or will they revert to the d?onahow culture, the "me" culture???

What will the draft be like???

What free agents will be targeted???

It isn't all about one person or coach, it is all about TEAM.

I'm OK with it so far. Big improvement over Meathead, and Sherman really isn't "all that"... won't lose any sleep about him not coming at all. Now let's see who the OC/DC are & how long DJ's contract is (hopefully no longer than 2 years) :rolleyes: .

DJ > RJ.