Marv and Ralph are taking their sweet time.....

..... and that's not neccessarily a bad thing. But it completely contradicts their act "swiftly" statement.

Yesterday it looked like it was between Sherman and Jauron and that we'd probably have a coach today (after the Lofton interview). Then came the curveball, Dom Capers. While Dom has a horrible record, I don't think it's all his fault. There's not much one could do with that Texans team.

I, like most other Bills fans; wanted Sherman. But the fact that they're bringing in Capers worries me. It makes me think that if they wanted Sherman, we wouldn't be looking at Capers.

Now reports are coming out that we will be interviewing former Jets DC Donnie Henderson and Indy Asst. HC Jim Caldwell in the coming days. There has also been some more Haslett talk as well.

I feel that we must have a HC announced by Thursday of next week so that we have a guy under our banner for the trip to Mobile and the Senior Bowl. It would have been nice to have a HC for the East/West Shrine Game and the Hula Bowl this weekend, but that's not near as important as the Senior Bowl trip.

We can afford to take our time with only Oakland still searching. So bring in Henderson and Caldwell. And while Marv's at it, he should bring in Haslett, Fassell, Martz, Mike Singeltary, Art Shell, or anyone else that he can think of. In the end, I hope they come back and say that Sherman was the best.

But I feel a whole hell of a lot more comfortable with Marv making the decision then TD.

Yesterday it looked like it was between Sherman and Jauron and that we'd probably have a coach today (after the Lofton interview).

575431[/snapback]

according to who? espn? buffalo news? d & c? this silly board?

you are jumping to a conclusion based on a bunch of sources who are pulling straws.....

..... and that's not neccessarily a bad thing. But it completely contradicts their act "swiftly" statement.

I feel that we must have a HC announced by Thursday of next week so that we have a guy under our banner for the trip to Mobile and the Senior Bowl. It would have been nice to have a HC for the East/West Shrine Game and the Hula Bowl this weekend, but that's not near as important as the Senior Bowl trip.

575431[/snapback]

Someone please fill me in on why the Senior Bowl is the be all end all of all scouting methods. I hear folks talk about how their are many coaches there, and maybe one can fill out a staff there. But dam, I hope we hire a coach who is not reliant of meeting a guy in a bar and finding out that, hey your a DC, we need one, lets talk.

In terms of scouting, I hear they get good looks at these guys in (my best Allen Iverson voice) "practice"!!!!. I dunno, I guess I'm one of those guys who puts a lot more faith in how a guy played in "games", then how he looks in practice, or many many times he can lift a weight.

I say, no rush, take your time, and get the best guy you can.

BTW, one other thing that pops in my mind is that Marv is picking these guys brains, asking how they would like to work with a GM, what they would want out of a GM, and will put this info to use as he is an 80yr old rookie at this job

Someone please fill me in on why the Senior Bowl is the be all end all of all scouting methods. I hear folks talk about how their are many coaches there, and maybe one can fill out a staff there. But dam, I hope we hire a coach who is not reliant of meeting a guy in a bar and finding out that, hey your a DC, we need one, lets talk.

In terms of scouting, I hear they get good looks at these guys in (my best Allen Iverson voice) "practice"!!!!. I dunno, I guess I'm one of those guys who puts a lot more faith in how a guy played in "games", then how he looks in practice, or many many times he can lift a weight.

575445[/snapback]

The Senior Bowl is far and away the most anticipated college "All Star" game. All the NFL teams are represented by coaches and GM's. It include's sort of a mini-combine where teams can see them workout and you can pick their brains a little.

Each college team is even coached by an NFL HC. Philip Rivers went from a projected mid-2nd rounder to the 4th overall pick based on his performance at the Senior Bowl. J.P. Losman probably wouldn't have been picked by Buffalo where he was without the Senior Bowl.

It's as big as you can get.

The Senior Bowl is far and away the most anticipated college "All Star" game. All the NFL teams are represented by coaches and GM's. It include's sort of a mini-combine where teams can see them workout and you can pick their brains a little.

Each college team is even coached by an NFL HC. Philip Rivers went from a projected mid-2nd rounder to the 4th overall pick based on his performance at the Senior Bowl. J.P. Losman probably wouldn't have been picked by Buffalo where he was without the Senior Bowl.

It's as big as you can get.

575476[/snapback]

I get that, I just saying that I do not understand it. So waht a guy does in "practice" over a few days is important than Game scouting. This chit always baffles me.

I get that, I just saying that I do not understand it. So waht a guy does in "practice" over a few days is important than Game scouting. This chit always baffles me.

575501[/snapback]

One of the reasons is that it's hard to tell how good a college player is when the guy across the line from him may be inferior. This is the first time these guys have played against other players where all of them are potential NFL players. So it is semi-important to scouts and GMs and coaches to see talent against talent, and see who rises to the top. Surely it's not the end all, and only one factor, and I agree with you that personnel guys often don't rely enough on how well these guys play in games. But it has true value to see them perform, against good players, knowing that they are being watched and evaluated, for a full week. It actually would be a pretty cool study to see, say, what the 10 or so best reviewed Senior Bowl players eventually became in the NFL. I would imagine it was pretty high.

People relax. If you have never had to hire someone in a leadership position you do not understand.

Part of my job in interviewing and hiring leaders for my company. This takes time. I generally will not make a decision without at least 8 to 10 candidates to talk to.

After interviewing I then will spend 2 to 3 days to discuss with the leadership staff and make an informed, educated decision.

At times it can take as long as 3 weeks to pick the right person?

When you interview for a job are you the people who call the recruiter 2 times a day for a decision?