(OT) Anyone get a dental crown?

Fezmid

Went to the dentist today for the first time in years because part of my back molar broke off. :blink: (didn't hurt luckily). She said that I have several cavities that need to be filled (no big deal), but that I need a crown on the broken tooth (that was previously filled before). I go for the "crown buildup" next month, and then the permanent crown a couple weeks later. Anyone care to share their experience with getting crowns? Does it hurt like hell? What should I expect?

Thanks! :blink:

CW

Went to the dentist today for the first time in years because part of my back molar broke off. :blink:  (didn't hurt luckily).  She said that I have several cavities that need to be filled (no big deal), but that I need a crown on the broken tooth (that was previously filled before).  I go for the "crown buildup" next month, and then the permanent crown a couple weeks later.  Anyone care to share their experience with getting crowns?  Does it hurt like hell?  What should I expect?

CW

41460[/snapback]

I had one. Didn't hurt at all, and only felt *slightly* uncomfortable for a few hours. It's no big deal.

I had 2 crowns a long time ago (these days I have all my lowers - with 1 bridge, and have no upper molars. Likely an upper plate next year) and it was a 2-day process. They ground the tooth down, took a mold, and next visit they popped it on. If it had an interference problem, the dentists said to just walk in anytime and he'd give it a quick grind - no charge.

My wife had a crown "build-up" about eight months ago, on a molar. It took about 3 months and five or six visits - which I wondered about. That is, I wondered if this is yet another dental scam - keep you coming back and paying.

I had 2 crowns a long time ago (these days I have all my lowers - with 1 bridge, and have no upper molars. Likely an upper plate next year) and it was a 2-day process. They ground the tooth down, took a mold, and next visit they popped it on.  If it had an interference problem, the dentists said to just walk in anytime and he'd give it a quick grind - no charge.

My wife had a crown "build-up" about eight months ago, on a molar. It took about 3 months and five or six visits - which I wondered about. That is, I wondered if this is yet another dental scam - keep you coming back and paying.

41516[/snapback]

My crown lengthening took 1 visit, 1 hour. 2 follow ups, 5 minutes each. If crown buildup is the same as crown lengthening, sounds like your wife got scammed. I was quoted the price over the phone before my first appointment, @ $650 of which I got @ $425 back. They also told me what to expect with the 1 visit and 2 follow ups and never deviated from what they told me on the initial call.

Went to the dentist today for the first time in years because part of my back molar broke off. :blink:  (didn't hurt luckily).  She said that I have several cavities that need to be filled (no big deal), but that I need a crown on the broken tooth (that was previously filled before).  I go for the "crown buildup" next month, and then the permanent crown a couple weeks later.  Anyone care to share their experience with getting crowns?  Does it hurt like hell?  What should I expect?

CW

41460[/snapback]

My tooth was really rotten and even after several numbing shots, all I remember was intense pain for as long as he was grinding and drillnig away. Sorry to have to tell you that. Sounds to me that a broken tooth will cause considerably less misery.

CW

41460[/snapback]

As long as you won't need a root canal you will be ok. If you are anxious just ask for the old nitrous oxide (ask for it anyway, you will leave happy)

As long as you won't need a root canal you will be ok.  If you are anxious just ask for the old nitrous oxide (ask for it anyway, you will leave happy)

41647[/snapback]

She was afraid I'd need a root canal, but did some tests (one of which was taking something REALLY cold and applying it right to the tooth to see if I could feel it - and feel it I did!!! Ouch! When I put my tongue on it to warm it up, fog came out of my mouth!).

I've read some stories about nitrous oxide, and sounds like some people don't react to it well. Not sure if I want to try that or not...

CW

She was afraid I'd need a root canal, but did some tests (one of which was taking something REALLY cold and applying it right to the tooth to see if I could feel it - and feel it I did!!!  Ouch!  When I put my tongue on it to warm it up, fog came out of my mouth!). 

I've read some stories about nitrous oxide, and sounds like some people don't react to it well.  Not sure if I want to try that or not...

CW

41655[/snapback]

Ask for a shot of Novocaine. The shot hurts a tad, but you'll feel great afterwards.

It's cake. Really. I was terrified, and the actual work was totally unfelt. The lidocaine does that. Here's the best part ... if the dentist does a good job (mine did) then you don't ever feel like you've got anything other than your God-given tooth in your mouth. You'll be surprised, you'll see!

She was afraid I'd need a root canal, but did some tests (one of which was taking something REALLY cold and applying it right to the tooth to see if I could feel it - and feel it I did!!!  Ouch!  When I put my tongue on it to warm it up, fog came out of my mouth!). 

I've read some stories about nitrous oxide, and sounds like some people don't react to it well.  Not sure if I want to try that or not...

CW

41655[/snapback]

These days, seems like all dentists feel that any cavity needs a root canal.

Ambrose Bierce, one of the literature's finest cynics, published his "Devil's Lexicon" (a.ka. "Devil's Dictionary) in the late 1800's.

He defined "Dentist" thusly...

"Dentist. n. A man who can stick a hand into your mouth and pull gold out of your pocket."

I have a few crowns. The way I got them was first I went in and they ground the bad tooth down to a stump. Then they seated the temporary crown on to the stump. It worked OK. Then the real crown came in a week later and they put that on with strong glue. This is the important part. When they place the crown on for good MAKE SURE your bite is OK and the crown doesn't pinch your gums at all. They can make sure it fits perfect.

The worst of the pain is the needle with the novocaine or whatever it is they use.

Good Luck ~

These days, seems like all dentists feel that any cavity needs a root canal.

Ambrose Bierce, one of the literature's finest cynics, published his "Devil's Lexicon" (a.ka. "Devil's Dictionary) in the late 1800's.

He defined "Dentist" thusly...

"Dentist. n. A man who can stick a hand into your mouth and pull gold out of your pocket."

41667[/snapback]

I *love* Beirce. Found him in highschool and read a bunch of his stories (including the Devil's Dictionary).

I didn't finish my first statement -- she thought I'd need a root canal on the cracked tooth, but after the tests, said that the tooth was alive and well and that wouldn't be necessary. Whew!

So the crown doesn't just sit on the top, it's basically a whole new tooth connected to (what's left of) the bad tooth?

CW

I *love* Beirce.  Found him in highschool and read a bunch of his stories (including the Devil's Dictionary).

I didn't finish my first statement -- she thought I'd need a root canal on the cracked tooth, but after the tests, said that the tooth was alive and well and that wouldn't be necessary.  Whew!

So the crown doesn't just sit on the top, it's basically a whole new tooth connected to (what's left of) the bad tooth?

CW

41738[/snapback]

A crown sits on top. As previously mentioned, the existing tooth id ground to provide a stup, so to speak, to affix the crown to.

I've been critical of a crown buildup in a previous post - they can be a scam - but it is legit if there is a fracture below the gum line.

Glad you appreciate 'ol Ambrose. He wandered into the deserts of Mexico and was never heard from again.

If I may be presumptuous, you are a candidate for the works of the '30's columnist and author, Don Marquis, and his decades-long telling of the stories of the cockroach, Archie.

Look him up - biting commentary, an exqusite philosophy of life, and side-splitting humor. I think you will be well-pleased.

A crown sits on top. As previously mentioned, the existing tooth id ground to provide a stup, so to speak, to affix the crown to.

I've been critical of a crown buildup in a previous post - they can be a scam - but it is legit if there is a fracture below the gum line.

Glad you appreciate 'ol Ambrose.  He wandered into the deserts of Mexico and was never heard from again.

If I may be presumptuous, you are a candidate for the works of the '30's columnist and author, Don Marquis, and his decades-long telling of the stories of the cockroach, Archie.

Look him up - biting commentary, an exqusite philosophy of life, and side-splitting humor. I think you will be well-pleased.

41836[/snapback]

I'll definately look him up, thanks.

Have you seen the movie, "Old Gringo?"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098022/

It's based loosely on Beirce's life.

Thanks to all about the info on a crown -- puts my mind to ease somewhat, although I'm still very nervous. However, a cracked tooth must not be that big a deal if they're not going to start working on it until next month...

CW

• 4 weeks later...

Just got back from the dentist. They asked if I wanted Nitrous (not covered by insurance, of course), but I declined since I didn't really know what it would do.

The novacain (or whatever they use) shots hurt like hell. Probably psychological as I hate needles....

The grinding was freaky, but didn't hurt... They filled a cavity back there was well on the back-most tooth. Apparantly they had trouble getting back there and now I have a nice bruise inside my mouth - that hurts the most right now...

We'll see what happens when the novacain wears off. Right now it doesn't quite feel right - feels too low - but it could be the novacain. We'll see...

It looks funny too - but I'm guessing that's because it's just the temp one.

So it wasn't as bad as I expected, but it wasn't pleasant either :) I go back on the 3rd of Nov for the permanent one...

Thanks everyone.

CW