The Bledsoe Factor

DeeRay

Basically, opposing defenses are "cheating" up at the line of scrimmage to enable themselves to have a distinct advantage in defensing the run. If Bledsoe notices the extra numbers of defenders in the "box"and "checks" out of the run, the opposing defense is only too happy to oblige that... for two reasons...

1) they don't have to defend the run, even though they're in position to stuff it (so they are covered)

2) the odds that Bledsoe can run backwards (drop back) 7 or 8 yards faster than a young linebacker or DB can run forward, say, 12 yards is overwhelmingly in the opposing defense's favor. Also, since Bledsoe has almost no ability to slide left ot right, he's rarely outside the tackle perimeter to allow him to throw the ball away. So the defense has such a distinct advantage when Bledseo is at QB that it is as if they were playing with 13 defensers on the field each and every play.

Sure, every now and then they may get dinged for a meaningless gain, but in playing this type of defense against Bledsoe and company, they've prevented the Bills from any offensive continuity and ability to sustain their offense.

What pisses me off as a Bills fan is that all of us Bills fans must suffer through this disastrous Bledsoe experiment while the current front office regime and coaching staff continue to try to figure out a way to enable Drew to function rather than focus on what it takes to win games. Yes, my Bills brethren, what we have here is the tail wagging the dog... and if this coaching staff and front office can't recognize this then they have no business have a job in footbal on any level.

The bottom line is this... the sooner Bledsoe is benched, the sooner the bills will get back to winning. Bledsoe may be a very nice lad, but he stinks as a QB and he won't and can't get better than he is.

Dude shut up.

You made your point 100 posts ago.

You hate Bledsoe.

Go route for the patriots or something.

41466[/snapback]

You shut up. That guy is 100% accurate. If we have to say it over and over again, we will. Bench Bledsoe! Your a Bledsoe apologist. How much does that job pay?

Dude shut up.

You made your point 100 posts ago.

You hate Bledsoe.

Go route for the patriots or something.

41466[/snapback]

The thing is, if we didnt want him to do good, we wouldnt be here. The reason we keep bringing up the different aspects of his sucktitude is because we WANT him to do good. But that just isnt going to happen. If we weren't Bills fans, we wouldnt care.

Its the ones that aren't concerned that you should ask about their fandom.

Route for who is on the field or route not at all.

--------------------------------------

route like interstate route?

I don't take advice for someone who can't even spell the word they are trying to give advice on.

Root

support (ENCOURAGE) [show phonetics]

verb [T]

1 to agree with and give encouragement to someone or something because you want them to succeed:

2 (US USUALLY root for, AUSTRALIAN ENGLISH barrack for) MAINLY UK If you support a sports team or a sports player, you want them to win, and might show it by going to watch them play:

route [show phonetics]

noun [C]

1 a particular way or direction between places:

Route for who is on the field or route not at all.

41490[/snapback]

I'm with you Kota. Damn people. Think about this angle. Bledsoe doesn't have time to look down the field. Bledsoe is forced to dink and dung for short passes since the run is being stuffed. Bledsoe catches stevestojan because the offense doesn't move. Give Bledsoe some time, receivers do what the !@#$ you're paid to do and catch passes, spread the field and force the defense to get the hell out of the box and you will have production. I agree that they are hanging in the box but if we don't spread the field to force them out and give Bledsoe some time to hit receivers DOWN the field rather than five yards out we're going to get killed every game. A run defense works just fine when the passing game is within 5 yards of the LOS. Wake up!

The thing is, if we didnt want him to do good, we wouldnt be here. The reason we keep bringing up the different aspects of his sucktitude is because we WANT him to do good. But that just isnt going to happen. If we weren't Bills fans, we wouldnt care.

Its the ones that aren't concerned that you should ask about their fandom.

41493[/snapback]

Steve, you don't want Bledsoe to do good. Then you'd have absolutely nothing to talk about on this board. :blink::blink:

and give Bledsoe some time to hit receivers DOWN the field rather than five yards out we're going to get killed every game

41506[/snapback]

Have you seen what Bledsoe has done with passes 5 yards in front of him though? He threw three at receivers feet, two over their heads (one so hard through henry's out stretched hands that he could have broken them) while the receiver is in the middle of the field (just begging for broken ribs). Lets get those 5 yard passes close to the numbers before we launch the ball.

Steve, you don't want Bledsoe to do good. Then you'd have absolutely nothing to talk about on this board.  :blink:  :P

41511[/snapback]

belive me brother, not having something to say has never been an issue with me. Bledsoe could shake hands with Christ before next game, and I'll still have something to say...

:blink:

Have you seen what Bledsoe has done with passes 5 yards in front of him though? He threw three at receivers feet, two over their heads (one so hard through henry's out stretched hands that he could have broken them) while the receiver is in the middle of the field (just begging for broken ribs). Lets get those 5 yard passes close to the numbers before we launch the ball.

41517[/snapback]

Holy stevestojan. Something we agree on. But you know as well as I do that Bledsoe throws deep much better than he throws short. He always has. I'm just saying to try to spread the field a little to open up the "box" and create some more opportunities.

To clarify why the Bledsoe factor makes it easy for D coordiantors.

The D does not care if it is a pass or a run.

They can blitz fearlessly specificaly to stuff the run on every play. If the play happens to be a pass, they know where Drew is because he can't move.

They have no fear of the play being a pass because Drew is totally incapable of making the defense pay for its arrogance with a big play.

Just has crippled the entire offensive philosophy, even though he may have a decent completion percentage on some meaningless passes.

Conceded that the WR need to hang onto all the passes in order to maximize the possibility for plays, but it all starts with Drew.

Basically, opposing defenses are "cheating" up at the line of scrimmage to enable themselves to have a distinct advantage in defensing the run.  If Bledsoe notices the extra numbers of defenders in the "box"and "checks" out of the run, the opposing defense is only too happy to oblige that... for two reasons...

1) they don't have to defend the run, even though they're in position to stuff it (so they are covered)

2) the odds that Bledsoe can run backwards (drop back) 7 or 8 yards faster than a young linebacker or DB can run forward, say, 12 yards is overwhelmingly in the opposing defense's favor.  Also, since Bledsoe has almost no ability to slide left ot right, he's rarely outside the tackle perimeter to allow him to throw the ball away.  So the defense has such a distinct advantage when Bledseo is at QB that it is as if they were playing with 13 defensers on the field each and every play.

Sure, every now and then they may get dinged for a meaningless gain, but in playing this type of defense against Bledsoe and company, they've prevented the Bills from any offensive continuity and ability to sustain their offense.

What pisses me off as a Bills fan is that all of us Bills fans must suffer through this disastrous Bledsoe experiment while the current front office regime and coaching staff continue to try to figure out a way to enable Drew to function rather than focus on what it takes to win games.  Yes, my Bills brethren, what we have here is the tail wagging the dog... and if this coaching staff and front office can't recognize this then they have no business have a job in footbal on any level.

The bottom line is this... the sooner Bledsoe is benched, the sooner the bills will get back to winning.  Bledsoe may be a very nice lad, but he stinks as a QB and he won't and can't get better than he is.

41458[/snapback]

Unfortunatly, putting Drew in a short passing, ball controlled offense is like mixing oil and water. What in the hell were the Bills thinking?

It's like they were setting him up to fail. (if you believe in conspiracy theories)

Drew has been average, to downright awful at times, but to pin his lack of production all on him, is ignorant at best. He has arguably the worst pass protecting O-Line in football, and he's got a diesel engine for legs. If the Bills want this O-Line to line up every Sunday, then they shoulda got a QB with fuel injection to hold the reins until JP was ready.

I can deal with the fact that people are pissed at Drew, I'm amongst that crowd. To blame everything on him is crazy.

Holy stevestojan. Something we agree on. But you know as well as I do that Bledsoe throws deep much better than he throws short. He always has. I'm just saying to try to spread the field a little to open up the "box" and create some more opportunities.

41526[/snapback]

Ok, now that we can stop bickering for one second, i do agree with you. The issue is, I think he would need to roll out in order to get time for Evans to get down field.

Evans runs a 4.3 40? or close to it? So, if we are talking long ball, Evans needs to be at least 20 yards down field before Bledsoe launches it. Thats ONLY 2 seconds. To hit Evans in stride 40 yards down field, two, maybe 2.5 seconds is how long Bledsoe should have it before throwing it. The ball is in the air the remaining 1.5 to two seconds.

Anyway, we can assume if Evans lines up wide, a blitz will come. That is where rolling out comes in. So, if he rolls out to get him self a solid 2 seconds, he needs shelton to pick up an outside Blitz. Maybe even Henry too.

I dont see the problem with this.

Why cant we line up 2 TEs, 2 WR, and Shelton in the back field. You now have 7 guys on the line to block, a FB in the backfield to block, a decoy in Moulds, and Evans should be single covered with Maybe a safety cheating towards him. But Bledsoe should have time.

Basically, opposing defenses are "cheating" up at the line of scrimmage to enable themselves to have a distinct advantage in defensing the run.  If Bledsoe notices the extra numbers of defenders in the "box"and "checks" out of the run, the opposing defense is only too happy to oblige that... for two reasons...

2) the odds that Bledsoe can run backwards (drop back) 7 or 8 yards faster than a young linebacker or DB can run forward, say, 12 yards is overwhelmingly in the opposing defense's favor.  Also, since Bledsoe has almost no ability to slide left ot right, he's rarely outside the tackle perimeter to allow him to throw the ball away.  So the defense has such a distinct advantage when Bledseo is at QB that it is as if they were playing with 13 defensers on the field each and every play.

What pisses me off as a Bills fan is that all of us Bills fans must suffer through this disastrous Bledsoe experiment while the current front office regime and coaching staff continue to try to figure out a way to enable Drew to function rather than focus on what it takes to win games.  Yes, my Bills brethren, what we have here is the tail wagging the dog... and if this coaching staff and front office can't recognize this then they have no business have a job in footbal on any level.

The bottom line is this... the sooner Bledsoe is benched, the sooner the bills will get back to winning.  Bledsoe may be a very nice lad, but he stinks as a QB and he won't and can't get better than he is.

41458[/snapback]

If it was a simple as that, every immobile QB would get max blitzed all the time. Teams should start to do that to Peyton Manning. Geez, If only the Bills had known it was that easy in SB XXVI, they could have employed that fail safe strategy against Mark Rypien.

Ok, now that we can stop bickering for one second, i do agree with you. The issue is, I think he would need to roll out in order to get time for Evans to get down field.

Evans runs a 4.3 40? or close to it? So, if we are talking long ball, Evans needs to be at least 20 yards down field before Bledsoe launches it. Thats ONLY 2 seconds. To hit Evans in stride 40 yards down field, two, maybe 2.5 seconds is how long Bledsoe should have it before throwing it. The ball is in the air the remaining 1.5 to two seconds.

Anyway, we can assume if Evans lines up wide, a blitz will come. That is where rolling out comes in. So, if he rolls out to get him self a solid 2 seconds, he needs shelton to pick up an outside Blitz. Maybe even Henry too.

I dont see the problem with this.

Why cant we line up 2 TEs, 2 WR, and Shelton in the back field. You now have 7 guys on the line to block, a FB in the backfield to block, a decoy in Moulds, and Evans should be single covered with Maybe a safety cheating towards him. But Bledsoe should have time.

41545[/snapback]

This could work. You know what I see in your post though? You're saying our O-Line can't block for 2 seconds!! That's exactly what some of us who defend Drew have been saying. For the O-line to be that bad, missed blitz pickups and poor catching NO quaterback with the exception of a Vick could produce in this offense. Hell, start in the shotgun, or take a seven step drop. Create some time somehow.... I'm not saying that Drew has A LOT of work to do, because he does, but the rest of the offense has to get their heads out of their asses too!

If it was a simple as that, every immobile QB would get max blitzed all the time.  Teams should start to do that to Peyton Manning.  Geez, If only the Bills had known it was that easy in SB XXVI, they could have employed that fail safe strategy against Mark Rypien.

41547[/snapback]

Usually there is a risk with the blirtz that the QB will complete a pass downfield creating a big play.

Drew hasn't done it.

Until he does it, teams will blitz at will, disrupting both the running game and the passing game.