• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Some observations from last night:

1- Miller Outstanding

2- Derek Roy has the potential to become our own Dale Hunter

he was driving everybody apesheet.

3- surprised by how much skating there was relative to shots on goal that were relatively low.

4- Buffalo can skate with any team in the league.

5- It is nice to slump on PP and still get two PP goals.

2 pts!!!!!

You'd expect a bit of a letdown after a 10-1 laugher and a long plane flight to West Bumblefck to start a long road trip. And in fact the Sabres didn't play all that well in the first two periods -- their passing was particularly off -- and never could get the PP untracked. But here's some things they DID do:

1. They all showed up in the third period. The Oilers couldn't get a damn thing going all period.

2. They got some tremendous individual efforts. Miller in the nets, Connolly on his goal, Max on both his goal and assist.

3. As awkward as their PP was, their PK was outstanding. Edmonton had several opps in the third period and couldn't set it up to save their lives.

You've really got to like the Rochester kids. Look at how many of these guys were with the Amerks last year and are playing key roles now. I don't think any team took advantage of the lockout the way the Sabres did.

Last thing. We've got the best captain in the league, for this team especially. Remember this is a guy who's been in the spotlight since he was 12 and it's no accident that his teams have won all manner of championships (Little League, Bantam, high school, NCAA, Stanley Cup). He was overshadowed in Colorado but still ended up wearing the A on a team that had Sakic, Forsberg and Blake. The guy is preternaturally calm in pressure situations and I think the team feeds off it -- they don't panic when they get down. Also he gives 100% every shift and plays 20 minutes a game; guys see their captain doing that and they want to follow him.

You'd expect a bit of a letdown after a 10-1 laugher and a long plane flight to West Bumblefck to start a long road trip.  And in fact the Sabres didn't play all that well in the first two periods -- their passing was particularly off -- and never could get the PP untracked.  But here's some things they DID do:

1.  They all showed up in the third period.  The Oilers couldn't get a damn thing going all period.

2.  They got some tremendous individual efforts.  Miller in the nets, Connolly on his goal, Max on both his goal and assist.

3.  As awkward as their PP was, their PK was outstanding.  Edmonton had several opps in the third period and couldn't set it up to save their lives.

You've really got to like the Rochester kids.  Look at how many of these guys were with the Amerks last year and are playing key roles now.  I don't think any team took advantage of the lockout the way the Sabres did.

Last thing.  We've got the best captain in the league, for this team especially.  Remember this is a guy who's been in the spotlight since he was 12 and it's no accident that his teams have won all manner of championships (Little League, Bantam, high school, NCAA, Stanley Cup).  He was overshadowed in Colorado but still ended up wearing the A on a team that had Sakic, Forsberg and Blake.  The guy is preternaturally calm in pressure situations and I think the team feeds off it -- they don't panic when they get down.  Also he gives 100% every shift and plays 20 minutes a game; guys see their captain doing that and they want to follow him.

570660[/snapback]

great post..these sabres are fun to watch..nice to see the Bank selling out on a regular basis too

One more observation: you have to give Darcy credit for picking up Mike Grier. He is solid for what he is asked to do night in and night out.

570718[/snapback]

That's something else Drury does: he has the front office's ear and while he can't order trades, he can certainly influence them. It's no secret Drury lost patience with Satan and sanctioned his release, or that he knew Grier well from their BU days.

His teammates know he's in a position to hold them accountable.

That's something else Drury does:  he has the front office's ear and while he can't order trades, he can certainly influence them.  It's no secret Drury lost patience with Satan and sanctioned his release, or that he knew Grier well from their BU days.

His teammates know he's in a position to hold them accountable.

570745[/snapback]

I never knew Drury influence was that far-reaching. But if he is showing that kind of leadership, he deserves to keep the C and not see it rotated.

How, I ask you how, do the Sabres score 10 goals and then no one, not ESPN not Sports center, NO ONE shows a freakin' highlight!

570851[/snapback]

Connolly sort of alluded to that in his postgame quotes last night. "We're in Canada," he said, "so I'll get to see a replay of my goal on TV."

I never knew Drury influence was that far-reaching. But if he is showing that kind of leadership, he deserves to keep the C and not see it rotated.

570755[/snapback]

I like Danny a lot and I don't think Chris has a problem sharing the C with him. You don't become a leader just because you have a letter on your sweater (see, e.g., Miro Satan, October 2003), and you don't stop being one just because you don't have the C on a given night.

Connolly sort of alluded to that in his postgame quotes last night.  "We're in Canada," he said, "so I'll get to see a replay of my goal on TV."

570874[/snapback]

:D

You left out his full quote: "We're in Canada, so I'll get to see a replay of my goal on TV when I'm at the strip club."

I like Danny a lot and I don't think Chris has a problem sharing the C with him.  You don't become a leader just because you have a letter on your sweater (see, e.g., Miro Satan, October 2003), and you don't stop being one just because you don't have the C on a given night.

570887[/snapback]

Miro=POS. Don't miss him one bit.