Ruben is supposed to be past it.

Wow, the 1966 Green Bay Packers sure looked good beating Carolina on the opening Monday Night Football game, then on Sunday the 1966 Green Bay Packers looked great beating the 2004 Green Bay Packers at Lambeau. Wasn't that the 1966 Green Bay Packers? Pulling guards on almost every run. With the Bears leading 14-3, guard Ruben Brown pulled right and pasted a Packer at the point of attack; Thomas Jones found that it's pretty fun to run 54 yards when everyone in front of you has already been knocked to the ground. Chicago scored a touchdown three plays later, and the rout was on.

Ouch. How sweet would it be right now to have Ruben Brown in place of Who Dat LG Lawrence Smith??

The prosecution rests....

Lawrence Smith is not the answer at LG, but neither was Ruben Brown - especially at that cap number.

40986[/snapback]

Do you honestly feel you can make sweeping statements like this after a man has played 2 whole NFL games in his life?

:o:o

Ruben hasn't made a block like that in Buffalo in four years.  Get over it!

40982[/snapback]

Actually, that is exactly the kind of block that Ruben excelled at. He is a textbook pulling guard, and he does a beautiful job at that and that only...when he doesn't pull too early (before the snap). I've been noticing that most times I see false start called on a guard (including our current guards), he's moving in such a way that might indicate he's pulling on the called play....anybody else notice that?

Do you honestly feel you can make sweeping statements like this after a man has played 2 whole NFL games in his life? 

:o    :o

41149[/snapback]

I agree on giving Smith a chance. Look how much time they gave Pucillo both during the season last year and most of training camp this year, before FINALLY removing him from the starting 5.

Actually, that is exactly the kind of block that Ruben excelled at.  He is a textbook pulling guard, and he does a beautiful job at that and that only...when he doesn't pull too early (before the snap).  I've been noticing that most times I see false start called on a guard (including our current guards), he's moving in such a way that might indicate he's pulling on the called play....anybody else notice that?

41189[/snapback]

Yup - and as a guard myself - you want to get out of the blocks fast when you pull cos you've got a long way to go. When I false start it is 99% on a play where it's a pull/trap... Also - you are generally back on your heels a little more to help get turned, so that makes you more unstable...