"With the 8th pick in the 2006 draft, The

billsboys

I would go so far as saying that Max-Jean Giles is the best lineman (O or D) in the entire draft.

561598[/snapback]

I was hoping Max Jean Giles might last to be our first second round pick...but I guess that is not realistic. I'm thinking Ngata will probably be our number eight and we will get an o-line man or two or possibly a second defensive tackle with our second round picks. There will be LOTS of great talent at tight end, offensive line and defensive tackle available in round two so I'd be extremely reluctant to trade up at all.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless we trade next years first and our two third rounders this year for a pick in the bottom of the round.

Of course we can't trade our 2nd this year because we'll need to use that to draft DT Rodrique Wright after we use our first to draft OT D'Brickshaw Ferguson.

Now that would be a great draft.

561612[/snapback]

Rodrique Wright? Nooooooo!!!!

We need a 2 gap run stuffer, not another interior pass rusher who won't hold up against the run. He seems to be more of a 3 technique rather than a pure 1 gap or 2 gap. I'd rather see Gabe Watson here than Wright. He's the Wrong fit.

1.) Houston - Reggie Bush

2.) New Orleans - Matt Leinart

3.) Tennessee - D'Brickashaw Ferguson (Curveball)

4.) New York Jets - D'Angelo Williams (CP is healthy again and they acquire Philip Rivers from San Diego for their 2nd and future consideration)

The Green Bay Packers have traded the 5th pick overall to the Buffalo Bills in exchange for the 8th pick overall, their 2nd round pick, and a 3rd round pick (acquired via comp. for Pat Williams). The Buffalo Bills select Vince Young, QB Texas.

Later in the day......

With the 23rd pick acquired by the New York Giants in exchange for CB Nate Clements, the Buffalo Bills select Max-Jean Gilles, OG Georgia

Later still......

With the 3rd round pick acquired by the Titans in exchange for RB Travis Henry, the Buffalo Bills select Gabe Watson, DT Michigan

Four picks later......

The Buffalo Bills select Will Blackmon, CB Boston College

Every year the next Pace and Ogden are in the draft.  Guaranteed!!  How many Pace's and Ogden's are running around?  In fact...we have one of them right now.

You are assuming that the only way to fix this line is to address it with the first round pick.  Really, I'm just as excited at the starting guard prospects that will be available in the low second round like  Max Jean-Gilles, Davin Joseph, and Charles Spencer.  Those guys would all upgrade the line, and allow us to have 2 starting players added in the draft as opposed to 1.  Also of note is the fact that this draft is so deep at lineman it would be very possible that we could find another starter, or soon to be starter, for the inside of the line with one or both of our 3rd round picks.  So I don't want to trade those either.

We need the picks, and no GUARANTEED lineman is worth giving those picks up IMO.

561546[/snapback]

A good post. Clearly no draft pick at any position is a sure thing. Having said that, I think that if the Bills are truly confident Da Brick is the real thing, they should trade up and grab him. What about those interior OL that you're excited about? That's easy. Franchise and trade Nate Clements for a late first/early second round pick, or just use Clements + our first rounder to get Da Brick in the first place. The Bills should also consider any reasonable offers for Takeo Spikes, because Spikes only has a few good years left, and the Bills are at least two years away from contending. The Bills could probably get at least a second rounder for Spikes. Getting rid of existing defensive personnel would also help the transition to a 3-4 defense.

1.) Houston - Reggie Bush

2.) New Orleans - Matt Leinart

3.) Tennessee - D'Brickashaw Ferguson (Curveball)

4.) New York Jets - D'Angelo Williams (CP is healthy again and they acquire Philip Rivers from San Diego for their 2nd and future consideration)

The Green Bay Packers have traded the 5th pick overall to the Buffalo Bills in exchange for the 8th pick overall, their 2nd round pick, and a 3rd round pick (acquired via comp. for Pat Williams). The Buffalo Bills select Vince Young, QB Texas.

Later in the day......

With the 23rd pick acquired by the New York Giants in exchange for CB Nate Clements, the Buffalo Bills select Max-Jean Gilles, OG Georgia

Later still......

With the 3rd round pick acquired by the Titans in exchange for RB Travis Henry, the Buffalo Bills select Gabe Watson, DT Michigan

Four picks later......

The Buffalo Bills select Will Blackmon, CB Boston College

561972[/snapback]

Third round picks Jesse Mahelona (DT Tennessee) and Safety Jason Allen (Tennessee...would have been a first round pick, but coming off an injury.)

The Bills trade their choice with Minn. (17).  The Bills pick Ngata DT.  With their three second round picks they take Max-Jean Gilles (G), Jonatan Scott (OT-Texas)

and Rodrique Wright (DT-Texas wright

561751[/snapback]

Hey! In another thread, you were advocating picking a TE!

Isn't you finger getting a bit cold, sticking it in the wind all the time? :devil::D

Hey! In another thread, you were advocating picking a TE!

Isn't you finger getting a bit cold, sticking it in the wind all the time? :devil:  :D

562017[/snapback]

I really do like Pope..but I'm getting convinced too many folks like him for the first round. Vern will clearly go in the first round. I would LOVE to get either of them as I think they are exactly what we need at the position we need to fill almost as badly as OT and DT. I guess I might give up on Allen the safety (who I think will be one of the best players available in the third or fourth round because of his injury.) for a good tight end. If Pope slips into the second round, of course I would go for him. As the days go by and he is getting assessed so highly, I don't think that will happen.

I really do like Pope..but I'm getting convinced too many folks like him for the first round.  Vern will clearly go in the first round.  I would LOVE to get either of them as I think they are exactly what we need at the position we need to fill almost as badly as OT and DT.  I guess I might give up on Allen the safety (who I think will be one of the best players available in the third or fourth round because of his injury.) for a good tight end. If Pope slips into the second round, of course I would go for him.  As the days go by and he is getting assessed so highly, I don't think that will happen.

562029[/snapback]

Do your calves hurt with that backpeddling? :devil:

So how many draft picks do we have? All of our 7 picks, plus Tennessee's 3rd is all that I'm aware of. I've read in this thread about multiple second rounders and compensatory picks and all that. Are these just mistakes, typos, and conjecture, or do we truly have additional picks that I'm not aware of?

So how many draft picks do we have? All of our 7 picks, plus Tennessee's 3rd is all that I'm aware of. I've read in this thread about multiple second rounders and compensatory picks and all that. Are these just mistakes, typos, and conjecture, or do we truly have additional picks that I'm not aware of?

562041[/snapback]

Part conjecture, part imagination. We do live in a Madden world after all.

Chances are we will get comp picks for Williams and Jennings. I wouldn't be surprised if one of them were as high as the end of round 3, but they could be round 4 or 5 too.

We do not, and will not, have any extra picks in the second round without trading for them.

Do your calves hurt with that backpeddling? :devil:

562030[/snapback]

Not backpedaling. If Ferguson were available at 8 I'd take him I might even be tempted if Reggie Bush were available at 8...That isn't going to happen. I think we have to draft Ngata (not because he is the best player...becauses he will most likely be the best player available at a position of critical need for the Bills (DT and OT). I thought Pope would slip under the radar and be available in the high second round, and if that should happpen (about as likely as Bush, Ferguson or Young being available at 8) we should draft him. I suspect Ngata would be available somewhere lower than eigth, so a trade down might work. Just because we need a tight end, doesn't mean we need ANY tight end. There are two out there worth first round picks. There are many more DT's and OT's that are available in the second and third. Allen definitely is backpedaling from my contention that the O-line (including tight end) and d-line were the paramount criteria, but I have a hunch he may be overlooked until well into the third round and hopefully by then we'll be comfortable enough with the line picks to chance it.

"The Green Bay Packers have just traded their first round pick to the Buffalo Bills for their first and second rounders.  With the 5th pick in the 2006 draft, the Buffalo Bills select D'Brickashaw Ferguson."

561437[/snapback]

There is just way too much talent available in the first round for us to trade up and sacrifice what could also be a productive number 2 pick. If anything, I think we could trade down a bit, still get a very productive lineman, such as Eric Winston OT from Miami, and then get an extra second or third rounder as well. This is a very deep draft for some reason, so I believe more picks is better than higher up picks.

That's easy. Franchise and trade Nate Clements for a late first/early second round pick, or just use Clements + our first rounder to get Da Brick in the first place. The Bills should also consider any reasonable offers for Takeo Spikes, because Spikes only has a few good years left, and the Bills are at least two years away from contending.

561985[/snapback]

Not easy. First you have to assume that there is a high market value for Clements after the worst year he has had. Assuming that the market is there, it still leaves a huge hole in our secondary. Sure, the lines would be better, but do you really think McGee can handle the leagues top recievers? Chances are we aren't going to get any extra Safety help this offseason that doesn't come in the form of raw talent with "potential". Our corners need to be GOOD. Clements needs to be franchised and KEPT. Work out a deal if possible, if not...oh well. Maybe he will have a huge year and we can get a high first the next year. IF Clements is traded, we better be bringing in some damn good talent to replace him.

I won't even bother with the Spikes thing, as it is too ridiculous to even think about.

The Bills trade their choice with Minn. (17).  The Bills pick Ngata DT.  With their three second round picks they take Max-Jean Gilles (G), Jonatan Scott (OT-Texas)

and Rodrique Wright (DT-Texas wright

561751[/snapback]

I'd be surprised if Scott or Wright were available in round 2. If they were, I'd say take them in a heart beat. BTW Ngata won't be there at 17 either IMO.

I can see it now , The bills are on the clock. Cameras switch to war room, were you see Ralph, Marv and Modrak, with their mouths wide open and drool dripping on their silk Bills ties, drooped over their chairs in a coma like sleep. :devil::D