Russ Grimm for offensive coordinator!!

http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/article...nator100106.php

Jim Zorn sounds like a real possibility here. JP's style of play actually is very similar to the way Zorn played. I remember that Zorn used his feet to make a whole lot of big plays when he was in the league. I'm sure he's learned a ton being in Seattle, especially about the need for a great running attack. This might be the perfect candidate if a proven guy like Norv Turner isn't willing to come over here.

561109[/snapback]

There are some good candidates there. I like the sound of Norv Turner as OC. Former HC's moving back toa co-ord. position usually do very well. Norv has been successful as an OC.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/article...nator100106.php

Jim Zorn sounds like a real possibility here. JP's style of play actually is very similar to the way Zorn played. I remember that Zorn used his feet to make a whole lot of big plays when he was in the league. I'm sure he's learned a ton being in Seattle, especially about the need for a great running attack. This might be the perfect candidate if a proven guy like Norv Turner isn't willing to come over here.

561109[/snapback]

I think Mike Heimerdinger's interesting, too. He wants to be a HC, but it looks like the Jets are going after Eric Mangini from the Pats.

Heimerdinger has a nice background with the Titans and Broncos and might find the Bills to be a good landing spot for an experienced OC with HC aspirations. WM reminds me of Eddie George to some extent, so Heimerdinger with a better O-line might be a good fit:

he subscribes to the philosophy that a team's best defense is sometimes its offense. His goal is not only to score, but to maintain long, back-breaking drives that keep the opposition's defense on the field and wears it out. While big plays are nice, six- and seven-yard passes and a solid ground attack keep both the chains and the clock moving, and that's what running an offense is all about.

"You just want to stay in a rhythm," says Heimerdinger, the new offensive coordinator for the New York Jets. "You want to keep the defense running and keep it on the field."

If the Bills can't get Grimm due to that assistant head coach stuff, maybe they should take a long, hard look at NE QB coach Josh McDaniels. This would be an opportunity to hurt a division rival while getting a guy skilled in the death by a thousand small cuts style of offense. I still remember the way the Giants offense killed the Bills back in the Super Bowl; and the Patriots' offense looks remarkably similar. McDaniels could import this offense to Buffalo.

Now, you say the players shouldn't be expected to learn a whole new offense. But for whose sake are the Bills supposed to keep their offense the same? The offensive line, even though all its players should be replaced? The QB, even though there is no established QB right now? The receivers, even though Moulds won't be here much longer? The RBs, even though McGahee has had an off year?

No, if the offense is going to go in a new direction, now is the time to do it.

I thought we were talking offensive coordinator here, not head coach

561316[/snapback]

Yes, I was talking about the OC position as well.

My point was that SW doesn't have the most stellar winning tradition behind him at Cincy and TB (although working for Bill Walsh is a big plus). He may be an offensive innovator, but all things being equal, I'd rather hire folks whose experiences and every day environment make winning an expected and natural part of their BAU approach, rather than a sometime thing.

No slam on Sam, but I was comparing his experience with that of Russ Grimm, who played for one of the most successful teams of his era (4 SB apparences and three rings) and has coached on teams with high winning percentages.

11 years as a player---0.699% winning percentage

9 years as a asst. coach---0.604% winning percentage

20 years in NFL---only two losing seasons---0.656% winning percentage

Lori...where's your rebuttal?? :w00t:

My point was that SW doesn't have the most stellar winning tradition behind him at Cincy and TB (although working for Bill Walsh is a big plus).  He may be an offensive innovator, but all things being equal, I'd rather hire folks whose experiences and every day environment make winning an expected and natural part of their BAU approach, rather than a sometime thing.

No slam on Sam, but I was comparing his experience with that of Russ Grimm, who played for one of the most successful teams of his era (4 SB apparences and three rings) and has coached on teams with high winning percentages.

561389[/snapback]

Be careful what you wish for..... :D

Just my opinion, but I still prefer the guy whose offensive innovations included the 'sugar huddle' -- which spawned the modern use of the no-huddle offense (including the Bills' K-Gun) for something besides the two-minute-drill -- over a guy who, to the best of my knowledge, has never called a play in an NFL game.

But as you pointed out last night, it's probably a moot point anyhow. Grimm's a good bet to get a HC job somewhere, and Wyche's cardiomyopathy -- he's got a pacemaker, you know -- would likely preclude him from taking a job any more stressful than the one he already has.

(In response to another name mentioned in this thread: rumors have Heimerdinger reconnecting with Mike Shanahan out in Denver; he'll need a new OC after Gary Kubiak leaves for the HC job in Houston.)

My point was that SW doesn't have the most stellar winning tradition behind him at Cincy and TB (although working for Bill Walsh is a big plus).  He may be an offensive innovator, but all things being equal, I'd rather hire folks whose experiences and every day environment make winning an expected and natural part of their BAU approach, rather than a sometime thing.

561389[/snapback]

here's the rebuttal.

cincinatti offensive rankings (nfl overall) with wyche as head coach:

1991 13

1990 11

1989 2

1988 1

1987 6

1986 1

1985 4

1984 5

here's the rebuttal.

cincinatti offensive rankings (nfl overall) with wyche as head coach:

1991  13   

1990  11

1989  2

1988  1 

1987  6 

1986  1

1985  4

1984  5

561461[/snapback]

I sort of find that a knock on Sam...he had a fast strike offense that did nothing to help his defense. I thought the point was to win... :w00t::D

Defensive Rank (total yards)...W-L

1991___28 (dead last)....3-13

1990___25.......................9-7

1989___14.......................8-8

1988___17.....................12-4

1987____7.....................4-11

1986___20.................... 10-6

1985___21.......................7-9

1984___12.......................8-8

I sort of find that a knock on Sam...he had a fast strike offense that did nothing to help his defense.  I thought the point was to win... :w00t:  :D

561483[/snapback]

One could use those stats to make the opposite argument: the defense was lousy, it did nothing to help the offense, yet the Bengals had offensive success anyway.

Yeah, because the Bills have never had a successful season while running the no-huddle offense.  :w00t:

561504[/snapback]

Well....Parcells, Gibbs and Johnson might agree with that assessment! :D

Now, now...just having fun. Sam knew how to move the ball back in the day, but I'd just as soon not have his jail break offense with the Bills current personnel. I like Mike Heimendinger's ball control/keep the D off the field philosophy more (see my post above).

(boldtype added for emphasis)

Well....Parcells, Gibbs and Johnson might agree with that assessment!  :w00t:

Now, now...just having fun.  Sam knew how to move the ball back in the day, but I'd just as soon not have his jail break offense with the Bills current personnel.  I like Mike Heimendinger's ball control/keep the D off the field philosophy more (see my post above).

561508[/snapback]

Ah... now we're getting to the REAL issue.... :D

I'm still convinced Mularkey wants to run the ball; he's just lost faith in the line's ability to do so when needed. Just my opinion...

If the Bills can't get Grimm due to that assistant head coach stuff, maybe they should take a long, hard look at NE QB coach Josh McDaniels. This would be an opportunity to hurt a division rival while getting a guy skilled in the death by a thousand small cuts style of offense.

561308[/snapback]

The Patriots have more plays of 20+ yards than any team in the league. So much for death by a thousand cuts.

The Patriots have more plays of 20+ yards than any team in the league.  So much for death by a thousand cuts.

561715[/snapback]

They probably have more total offensive plays than most teams in the league, because their offense is so good at staying on the field and avoiding three and out.