Our New Coaching Staff

JDG

they've been doing that for 5 years going without fail (since mularkey became OC there), and their record since then is 55-24-1. you can do it if other teams respect your running game.

559974[/snapback]

Yes, you can do it - the Steelers just did. Should you?

This play involved a WR making a pass over the head of a Bengals defender, Ben Roethlisberger making a clean catch, and then making a clean throw downfield - all while counting on no Bengals defender sticking with the WR downfield, or staying at home on Roethlisberger. It is very easy for me to see that play blowing up, and instead of the Steelers going up 14, the Bengals are getting the ball down 7. To me, it is too big of a risk on a potentially drive-killing 3rd down. Run it on 1st or 2nd down if you think that you have it.

JDG

It's cleary a combination of the two.  The problem with the playbook is it seems to the ignore the weaknesses in the talent.  When things are rough and talent weak the answer is NOT to get trickier and more complicated is it?  It seems this staff never got back-to-basics and tried to do simple things correctly FIRST.  This team had a chance to gel if the playcalling was more straight-forward and the coaches put their players in a position to succeed.

559990[/snapback]

especially with a rookie QB

This is precisely the situation that a coordinator who has aspirations for HC would love, as it's a win win. 

If the Bills continue to suck, then it's not the coordinator's fault, since it's obvious that Mularkey is over his head, and the HC job goes to the hot shot assistant (as per Wilson's past history).  If the Bills improve, then it's obviously done with the addition of the hot-shot assistant, who'll be able to land a HC spot elsewhere in the NFL.

559911[/snapback]

I dunno about that. To use a recent example, it looked to me, after Jim Fassel was let go from the Giants, that he had a decent shot at landing on another HC opportunity right away. Instead, he's gone on to the perennially-struggling Baltimore offense, and has hardly been heard from since.

Dom Capers has now been fired from two HC gigs - to get a third gig, he needs to succeed somewhere. As another example, Wade Phillips has gotten a few HC nibbles this time around - if he had taken a DC gig where he wasn't succeeding, that would not have happened. In other words, it looks to me like Dom Capers has his choice of a couple different DC gigs, and his Top Concerns should be:

1) Likelihood of Succeeding

2) Responsibility and Autonomy

3) Money

I find it hard to see Buffalo's gig rising to the top of either criteria.

JDG

I dunno about that.    To use a recent example, it looked to me, after Jim Fassel was let go from the Giants, that he had a decent shot at landing on another HC opportunity right away.  Instead, he's gone on to the perennially-struggling Baltimore offense, and has hardly been heard from since.

Dom Capers has now been fired from two HC gigs - to get a third gig, he needs to succeed somewhere.    As another example, Wade Phillips has gotten a few HC nibbles this time around - if he had taken a DC gig where he wasn't succeeding, that would not have happened.    In other words, it looks to me like Dom Capers has his choice of a couple different DC gigs, and his Top Concerns should be:

1) Likelihood of Succeeding

2) Responsibility and Autonomy

3) Money

JDG

560042[/snapback]

Didn't you just answer your own question.

Fassell isn't getting HC opportunities because Balt's O did not improve, while Wade is on the radar screen because both Atlanta & SD's defenses improved dramatically since he came onboard.

There's obviously a better chance that Miami's D will be better than Bills next year, but the questions will always be whether it's Saban or the DC.

great, great post, and i was just thinking about the same thing.  i love bates, and think he would be great for the bills. also, on offense, the pittsburgh guys sound intriguing.  as for palmer, doesn't he sort of fall in the same category as martz (i.e., a completely different philosophy)? he's also had a very bad run of late.

559855[/snapback]

I'm not an Al Saunders fan. They hated him in MN when he succeeded Bud Grant, and he didn't do much better with the Chargers. And the Chiefs passed on him for their new head coach so what does that tell you? Chris Palmer wants to sling the ball down the field. But Tim Couch didn't have the gun for that in Cleveland, and Houston didn't have the OL to make it work for David Carr.

Dom Capers? Gets a lot of credit for being one of the creators of the zone blitz defense but does he sound very inspiring? And The Texans have been in denial about their OL ever since Tony Boselli couldn't play OLT. After the qb, that's the most important position on the team!

I think Marv is thinking of recommending Ted Cottrell to Mike Mularkey but I think Ted would like to hold out for a head coaching position somewhere. Maybe they could make him asst. head coach again, as I believe he was with Wade.

His System produced the worst offense in Bills history. He needs someone to come in with their own playbook and burn his.

559857[/snapback]

You hit the nail on the head. Throw Malarkey's playbook in the trash. I think they need to go with the three wideout, single back offense.

Although Mularkey doesn't know him, Bruce Arians is a former OC for Cleveland, and became WR coach in Pittsburgh after Mularkey left - so at least Arians was presumably familiarizing himsellf with the Steelers' offense during that time frame. 

A friend of mine has pointed out to me that Arians was Kelly Holcomb's OC in Cleveland, and Kelly Holcomb rung up 36 points on the Steelers on the road in the playoffs.

Sounds like a winner to me.

I'll be rooting for him and McGinnis.

JDG

3) Money

JDG

560042[/snapback]

Money shouldn't be a concern for Capers since Houston will continue to pay him at his HC salary, less the amount paid by the Bills.

Mularkey is here because his salary is on par with most Asst. coaches. In other words, a bargain. He should delegate like Marv and burn his playbook. I hate it.

559925[/snapback]

The playbook was invented by inspector gadget. It's full of lots of cutsie tricky stuff and is impervious to fire.

On a serious note...anyone else think to themselves " ;) " when the Steelers ran their trick play successfully on Sunday? The announcers talked about how Cincy knew something was coming and had reviewed film going back years, yet the Steelers still pulled it off. Why? Because their offense is successful to begin with--especially the running game. When a defense has to worry about all facets of the offense a trick play can be hugely successful. When you have the 30th ranked red zone offense tirckeration is not likely to work. Again, I say " :w00t: "

If Brett Maxie is any indication, it looks like whoever it is will cheap and inexperienced.

Marv should be building the best staff possible, not hiring guys on a shoestring.

If MM has significant input, is he suffering from Teflonitus and looking to hire a staff which does not threaten his position?

If Brett Maxie is any indication, it looks like whoever it is will cheap and inexperienced.

Marv should be building the best staff possible, not hiring guys on a shoestring.

If MM has significant input, is he suffering from Teflonitus and looking to hire a staff which does not threaten his position?

561060[/snapback]

I look at the Maxie interview the same way the Texans probably did about JG and their HC opening...a cursory look-see with no real chance / expectation of being hired.

I can't see Marv counseling MM to go with a first-time coordinator, given the task at hand. And if anyone can convince Ralph to pay up for a proven coordinator, its Marv.

I look at the Maxie interview the same way the Texans probably did about JG and their HC opening...a cursory look-see with no real chance / expectation of being hired. 

I can't see Marv counseling MM to go with a first-time coordinator, given the task at hand.  And if anyone can convince Ralph to pay up for a proven coordinator, its Marv.

561084[/snapback]

the difference is that the Jerry Gray filled their quota for a minority candidate.

The Bills are under no such requirement for coordinators.

Guest BackInDaDay

Unless there's an experienced ex-coach / ex-coordinator available who's trying to resurrect his career, don't look for anyone to accept a subordinate role to Mularkey. If the perception among candidates is that he threw Tom Clements and other assistants under the bus to save his own job, it will be difficult to lure capable candidates to Buffalo. Only men with few options will be interested.

Like him, or not, for that reason alone, keeping Mularkey was a big mistake.

Unless there's an experienced ex-coach / ex-coordinator available who's trying to resurrect his career, don't look for anyone to accept a subordinate role to Mularkey.  If the perception among candidates is that he threw Tom Clements and other assistants under the bus to save his own job, it will be difficult to lure capable candidates to Buffalo.  Only men with few options will be interested.

Like him, or not, for that reason alone, keeping Mularkey was a big mistake.

561170[/snapback]

What about Jim Zorn? I posted this link in the Russ Grimm thread...

http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/article...nator100106.php

Like it or not, this is the type of guy we'll end up getting. I liked Zorn as a player, Losman certainly can run around like he once did.

Realfootball 365, apparently being repeated by Leo Roth, has suggested Norv Turner. I find it hard to see Mularkey brining in an established offensive guy with his own system. Mularkey will either bring in a guy who knows his system, or a young guy who wants to learn Mularkey's system. So we'll see who is right on this one.

Steve Fairchild from the Rams (and Gregg Williams' RB coach) apparently has an interview, and I like the idea of trying for Josh McDaniels - New Bruschi's (we're not worthy) QB Coach (think Tom Brady.) I still think that a lot has to be said for Arians - hopefully he's available come Sunday night.

On defense, I'm not excited about Ted Cottrell - but with Marv as GM, he has to be the front-runner with Mularkey really needing a strong defensive guy. Maxie intrigues me as a young up-and-comer, and learning defense from Jim Mora isn't a bad thing on the resume. And of course, time in New Bruschi (we're not worthy) is an instant coaching qualification these days, so Pepper Johnson, NE's DL coach makes sense too. My money's on Cottrell, unfortunately, but would still love to see us at least check out Ryan from Oakland.

JDG