Variable ticket pricing question

LabattBlue

There was a column yesterday by Donn Esmonde of the Buffalo News on the Buffalo Sabres resurgance. In it, he stated that the Sabres were the first professional team to institute variable ticket pricing where ticket prices vary from game to game based on the quality of the opponent and day of the week. I was surprised by this statement(that no one else has done this) and was wondering if anyone knows of other pro sports teams that have gone down this route.

Thanks.

http://buffalonews.com/editorial/20060106/1049468.asp

I don't know of any that changed pricing depending on the game, but the Bills several years ago would do a 2 or 3 game package of one high-profile game and a lesser game. One year, I think it was in 96, it was Dallas and Indy. That's the one where Todd Collins led the Bills to defeat Dallas, because JK was injured. And the Indy game was a 4pm game that didn't end till after 8pm.

There was a column yesterday by Donn Esmonde of the Buffalo News on the Buffalo Sabres resurgance.  In it, he stated that the Sabres were the first professional team to institute variable ticket pricing where ticket prices vary from game to game based on the quality of the opponent and day of the week.  I was surprised by this statement(that no one else has done this) and was wondering if anyone knows of other pro sports teams that have gone down this route.

Thanks.

558134[/snapback]

The Red Sox have been doing it with a small portion of their seats for a few years now - specifically the left field wall seats and some of the roof areas. Next year it will be $110 for "blue" games and $130 for "red" games to sit on the front row of the green monster.

I think it makes sense for organizations to variable-price. I suspect it is the wave of the future. A substantial portion of money is spent by a patron on "other" (concessions, parking, shirts etc.), and the ticket price is the best weapon to get them inside the gates.

There was a column yesterday by Donn Esmonde of the Buffalo News on the Buffalo Sabres resurgance.  In it, he stated that the Sabres were the first professional team to institute variable ticket pricing where ticket prices vary from game to game based on the quality of the opponent and day of the week.  I was surprised by this statement(that no one else has done this) and was wondering if anyone knows of other pro sports teams that have gone down this route.

Thanks.

558134[/snapback]

the Cubs have been doing this for years. i thought it was pretty common for baseball teams to price weekday April games etc. lower due to the cold or other issues that impact attendance..