Luck does play a part

There was a good article on the WGRZ web site. In it, writer Ed Kilgore says there's a fair amount of luck involved in the outcome personnel decisions and NFL events. The evidence is there to support it. Can't disagree. It doesn't even touch on the impact of unlucky occurances such as injuries.

Something to think about for all you Chicken Little, sky-is-falling types who always call for the immediate firing of the head coach. There was also a good article a couple of days ago about how smart the Steelers were to retain Cowher and not have a knee-jerk reaction after a bad season or two. Look how Dungy was run out of Tampa after a little rough going. I think the Jets made a mistake by letting Edwards get away.

I sometimes wonder if some firings are unavoidable because of PR/fan issues.

I'm glad to see Mularkey keep his job. I don't think the Bills could progress next year by starting all over again. At least we'll have a better idea if Mularkey is the right man for the job. I have faith in Marv's decisions.

http://www.wgrz.com/sports/sports_article.aspx?storyid=34320

Oh...BTW...anyone know who this article is referring when mentioning the top 1987 draft prospect who ended up in prison? Marv also mentioned him in his press conference and book, but not by name (of course).

Curious.

There was a good article on the WGRZ web site. In it, writer Ed Kilgore says there's a fair amount of luck involved in the outcome personnel decisions and NFL events.  The evidence is there to support it. Can't disagree. It doesn't even touch on the impact of unlucky occurances such as injuries.

Something to think about for all you Chicken Little, sky-is-falling types who always call for the immediate firing of the head coach. There was also a good article a couple of days ago about how smart the Steelers were to retain Cowher and not have a knee-jerk reaction after a bad season or two. Look how Dungy was run out of Tampa after a little rough going. I think the Jets made a mistake by letting Edwards get away.

I sometimes wonder if some firings are unavoidable because of PR/fan issues.

I'm glad to see Mularkey keep his job. I don't think the Bills could progress next year by starting all over again. At least we'll have a better idea if Mularkey is the right man for the job. I have faith in Marv's decisions.

http://www.wgrz.com/sports/sports_article.aspx?storyid=34320

Oh...BTW...anyone know who this article is referring when mentioning the top 1987 draft prospect who ended up in prison? Marv also mentioned him in his press conference and book, but not by name (of course).

Curious.

557497[/snapback]

reggie rogers (sp?)

There was a good article on the WGRZ web site. In it, writer Ed Kilgore says there's a fair amount of luck involved in the outcome personnel decisions and NFL events.  The evidence is there to support it. Can't disagree. It doesn't even touch on the impact of unlucky occurances such as injuries.

557497[/snapback]

Agree 100%. Almost all of TD's moves looked great on paper, but he had terrible luck.

Agree 100%. Almost all of TD's moves looked great on paper, but he had terrible luck.

557653[/snapback]

Absolutely- I stand behind the philosophy of draft the best player available, then work your roster around it- unfortunately, we didn't get many great players on the OL, and it turned into fill ins. Still, you have to continue to build the team core with the most talent you can find, otherwise, you'll get to the door, and wont have a key to get in.

The right players just weren't available, but I think the players Donahoe drafted will continue to develop, and play a major role in our resurgence- keep an Tim Anderson- he has become more than servicable, and I think his progression will continue. 2 more years, he'll be entrenched as a big player for us

Absolutely- I stand behind the philosophy of draft the best player available, then work your roster around it- unfortunately, we didn't get many great players on the OL, and it turned into fill ins. Still, you have to continue to build the team core with the most talent you can find, otherwise, you'll get to the door, and wont have a key to get in.

The right players just weren't available, but I think the players Donahoe drafted will continue to develop, and play a major role in our resurgence- keep an Tim Anderson- he has become more than servicable, and I think his progression will continue. 2 more years, he'll be entrenched as a big player for us

557808[/snapback]

As d?onahoe said more than once, they look good on paper; thus, they are paper tigers.

What the club has been missing is a direction and an attitude; an IDENTITY.

I do think many of the players drafter were high in character, BUT because there was total lack of direction, after two or three years, the players would just burn out i.e. Mike Williams. Hopefully with a cultural change some careers will have a rebirth, unles they are too far gone.