Pete Carroll head coach

Gambler

What a horrible job of coaching in the 4th quarter!

He made at least 4 or 5 critical errors that eventually cost his team the win.

Vince Young was phenomenal and I hate Texas.

554807[/snapback]

I hate you and I also think VY rocks.

:doh:

I still hold it against Carroll when the Pats under Carroll lucked into a last second win against the Bills and he gave the choke sign to the Bills as they left the field. It was a classless juvenile act and I took great pleasue when the Bills beat them in the future and when he got canned early in his pro HC career when he failed at NE.

I'm not sure how much of that was Pete Carroll sucking compared to Vince Young being unstoppable. He did it last year against Michigan. He did it this year against Ohio State and USC. I have never seen a single person carry a team on his back like Vince Young. The guy is amazing. This one one of the best football games I've seen in a long time. So many good players on that field with Young being the best.

What a horrible job of coaching in the 4th quarter!

He made at least 4 or 5 critical errors that eventually cost his team the win.

Vince Young was phenomenal and I hate Texas.

554807[/snapback]

Agreed. I was a bit shocked by some decisions. A few come to mind:

1. Passing on 2nd down with 2:33 left? Huh? You have Reggie Bush in the backfield and you're passing? Even if it's completed it's a bad call. My first, "wow, they can lose this game."

2. Third down: I know White is a beast and got close but I say live and die with your best player.

3. Fourth down and 1 and a half on the 42 of Texas. Dude, punt or at the very least give the ball to the running back who is averaging over 8 yards a carry for the SEASON. But no, what's worse is he has Bush motion to the the outside like they're going to pass -- not one defender bit.

4. Why call a TO for the two-point conversion. What's the worse that could happen? A field goal still ties it.

5. Young is awesome: Yound need 4 yards to get the first down but you'd think by the last play of the game they would've made an adjustment to get a quick linebacker or strong safety spying Vince behind the line.

Agreed.  I was a bit shocked by some decisions.  A few come to mind:

1. Passing on 2nd down with 2:33 left?  Huh?  You have Reggie Bush in the backfield and you're passing?  Even if it's completed it's a bad call. My first, "wow, they can lose this game."

554913[/snapback]

Bad play call. It was 2nd and 7 and they should have run. On 3rd & 7 they ran White and he got 5 (actually he got 6 but fumbled backwards a yard.)

2.  Third down: I know White is a beast and got close but I say live and die with your best player.

554913[/snapback]

You can make that argument, but you could also make the argument that White was their best player last night.

3.  Fourth down and 1 and a half on the 42 of Texas.  Dude, punt or at the very least give the ball to the running back who is averaging over 8 yards a carry for the SEASON.  But no, what's worse is he has Bush motion to the the outside like they're going to pass -- not one defender bit.

554913[/snapback]

They haven't punted in that situation in three years. If they make it, they win the national championship. If they punt, they give it to Vince Young with a timeout and over 2 minutes left. Texas probably scores anyways. I see what you're saying though, Texas on the 15 is better than Texas on the 42. But White was unstoppable all night and all year in short yardage...You can't play scared there, especially with the way your defense was playing.

BTW, Bush wasn't in motion in an effort to show pass. He wasn't on the field, he was on the sidelines.

4. Why call a TO for the two-point conversion.  What's the worse that could happen?  A field goal still ties it.   

554913[/snapback]

That came from one of the defenders, not from the coaches. But you're right, it was stupid. Just a waste.

5.  Young is awesome: Yound need 4 yards to get the first down but you'd think by the last play of the game they would've made an adjustment to get a quick linebacker or strong safety spying Vince behind the line.

554913[/snapback]

Young is awesome, you're right. But I don't know if you were watching or not, but USC had their linebacker Cushing (#10) spying Young from the very first play. He just was about 10x less athletic than Vince. You think USC gameplanned for a month for Texas and didn't have a spy for Young??? Every team spies him, and the result has been pretty much the same all year for all defenses.

I'm not sure how much of that was Pete Carroll sucking compared to Vince Young being unstoppable. He did it last year against Michigan. He did it this year against Ohio State and USC. I have never seen a single person carry a team on his back like Vince Young. The guy is amazing. This one one of the best football games I've seen in a long time. So many good players on that field with Young being the best.

554831[/snapback]

How about Michael Vick! Texas had a much better team then VT. But Young was up there with the Best ever. Steve Young also carried BYU

I still hold it against Carroll when the Pats under Carroll lucked into a last second win against the Bills and he gave the choke sign to the Bills as they left the field. It was a classless juvenile act and I took great pleasue when the Bills beat them in the future and when he got canned early in his pro HC career when he failed at NE.

554828[/snapback]

The "choke sign" incident was an entirely different season in a Sunday night game against the Dolphins not involving the Bills.

Agreed.  I was a bit shocked by some decisions.  A few come to mind:

1. Passing on 2nd down with 2:33 left?  Huh?  You have Reggie Bush in the backfield and you're passing?  Even if it's completed it's a bad call. My first, "wow, they can lose this game."

554913[/snapback]

That was the play that lost USC the game IMO. White was averaging some 6.5 yards per carry, and the USC interior O-line was completely dominating Texas. Give the ball to White and run him up the middle, there is NO other acceptable play to call in that situation. They did it on 1st down, and even though Texas knew it was coming, he still got 3 yards. Even if you don't get the first down, 2 more running plays gives Texas much less time to work with.

Yes, Vince Young was great, but would he have been able to run around and make passes down the middle with less than a minute left? I doubt it. USC learned the hard way calling pass plays in that situation loses football games.