NFL Primetime, gone forever

The article on NFL.com really explains it in words many cannot. It's hard to believe that it has been on that long. I remember before leaving to go back to school on Sunday's if I had came home, I would watch it. As well as I grew up. Chris Berman and Tom Jackson did it right and they never got boring.

The article on NFL.com really explains it in words many cannot. It's hard to believe that it has been on that long. I remember before leaving to go back to school on Sunday's if I had came home, I would watch it. As well as I grew up. Chris Berman and Tom Jackson did it right and they never got boring.

551812[/snapback]

i always enjoyed a bills win because i knew chris berman would go into his nobody circles the wagons like the buffalo bills!

Don't stop reading after the Primetime story. You'll find this nugget:

The second-most predictable action this season was Buffalo play faking then throwing to blocking back Daimon Shelton in the flat on short-yardage downs. Shelton is a hard-working blocker, but possibly the slowest person ever to line up in an NFL backfield. (William "The Refrigerator" Perry was actually surprisingly quick for his size.) In three games before Week 17, Buffalo failed at the goal line by trying to throw to Shelton in the flat on third-and-goal; each time the defense appeared to have been notified by mail where the ball was going. Sunday, the Bills facing third-and-goal at the Jets 4, Buffalo play faked and threw into the flat for Shelton, who was immediately stopped for a 1-yard gain, the Bills settling for a field goal in a game they would ultimately lose by four points. So many Jersey/B defenders were around Shelton on this play it was as if there had been a bright flashing arrow pointing to him at the snap. Though the early call to Shelton meant the predictable play had backfired four times in a row, later in the game Mike Mularkey called it again! Interception returned for a touchdown.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9140954

i always enjoyed a bills win because i knew chris berman would go into his nobody circles the wagons like the buffalo bills!

551824[/snapback]

I will miss Primtime too, but maybe not as much as some. During the "glory days" of the 90's, when the Bills were winning, it was "must see tv" x3 for me. I even taped every episode from the 1993 season...however, as the Bills started stumbling out of the gates the last five years, I began to notice something. There were weeks where, I swear, they showed the same 15 seconds of clips that they showed on Sportcenter, or on my crappy local news recap. They still spent plenty of time on the big national teams, but regional favorites, unless winning lots of games, got little coverage.

In the old days, they showed you every touchdown, every important play in the game, as well as the odd plays. You really felt like you got a great recap of every game played on every given Sunday. When they shortened the show, to start the Sunday night games earlier, PrimeTime was really no different than Sportcenter. Plus, they stuffed a ton more commercials (usually promoting other ESPN product) into an hour than they did into their 90 minute show...no coincidence that the same time, IMO, that Primetime took a dive, the entire ESPN network took a dive.

In the old days, they showed you every touchdown, every important play in the game, as well as the odd plays. You really felt like you got a great recap of every game played on every given Sunday. When they shortened the show, to start the Sunday night games earlier, PrimeTime was really no different than Sportcenter.  Plus, they stuffed a ton more commercials (usually promoting other ESPN product) into an hour than they did into their 90 minute show...no coincidence that the same time, IMO, that Primetime took a dive, the entire ESPN network took a dive.

551868[/snapback]

I stopped watching Primetime when I got my DirecTV TiVo. Now that they automatically give me highlights of every game on the TiVo Monday morning, I just watch those. Much more entertaining, since it's 2-3 minutes for each game. This year, with NFL SHort Cuts, you can watch every play of a game in less than 30 minutes. Much better than "highlight" shows IMHO.

CW

551812[/snapback]

For us old timers, prime time was like manna from heaven, especially when the Bills were home. Remember this was back in the days long before the ticket, nfl network, cnnsi, espn 2, etc etc, etc. If you went to the Bills game, that was the only game, or even highlights you would see that day. I know I never saw 11.00pm after a bills game, and George Micheal didn't come until 11.30.

More like the passing of an era, then a true loss of a really relevant show.

551812[/snapback]

I heard Berman was livid about this.....ESPN did it anyways....par for the course.