TD seemed like a class guy...

mikecole1

I know he has to go, but I was really hopeful he would succeed in Buffalo. Seemed like a classy individual. Damn good marketer but I guess he proved to be a pretty lousy talent evaluator. Not to come off as a flake but RJ over Flutie was his first stupid mistake; Lardass Williams over McKinnie was the next, and misfiring on two head coaches was his third - those three decisions I believe doomed him. GW will be a good HC but TD needed to bring in at least one guy with experience. I guess he was afraid of someone really strongwilled. Any thoughts as we close this chapter? (I'm a newbie poster transplanted in the Carolinas so go easy on me) B-)

I know he has to go, but I was really hopeful he would succeed in Buffalo. Seemed like a classy individual. Damn good marketer but I guess he proved to be a pretty lousy talent evaluator. Not to come off as a flake but RJ over Flutie was his first stupid mistake; Lardass Williams over McKinnie was the next, and misfiring on two head coaches was his third - those three decisions I believe doomed him. GW will be a good HC but TD needed to bring in at least one guy with experience. I guess he was afraid of someone really strongwilled. Any thoughts as we close this chapter? (I'm a newbie poster transplanted in the Carolinas so go easy on me) B-)

551537[/snapback]

McKinnie hasn't exactly excelled, and there was no right answer with Johnson and FLutie- neither was a long term solution. Trading for Bledsoe was a mistake

551537[/snapback]

I'm sure none of us wanted him to fail. He's had a shot and it didn't work out. Hopefully, the next one will work out better...

TD burned a lot of bridges while he was here. he made hiring mistakes, personnel mistakes, and drafting mistakes. Did he sell all those seats or did the general economic trend of the nfl in the 2000's sell those seats? that's a question for tomorrow. I seriously could write a book on TD's negatives. I'm sure i can write some positives, but it will have to wait for another day.

TD burned a lot of bridges while he was here.  he made hiring mistakes, personnel mistakes, and drafting mistakes.  Did he sell all those seats or did the general economic trend of the nfl in the 2000's sell those seats?  that's a question for tomorrow.  I seriously could write a book on TD's negatives.  I'm sure i can write some positives, but it will have to wait for another day.

551561[/snapback]

And PR mistakes. While your average football team isn't a democratic institution, and the front office doesn't have to answer directly to the fans, that doesn't mean that alienating the fan base is a very smart idea either.

McKinnie hasn't exactly excelled, and there was no right answer with Johnson and FLutie- neither was a long term solution. Trading for Bledsoe was a mistake

551546[/snapback]

True, neither was a long term solution but Flutie was the short term answer IMO and I think he could have salvaged a few more wins from that 3-13 debacle in 2001. Don't know how many but the little guy did light a fire under the Chargers that season if my memory serves me right. Point is TD was operating uphill from there. I definitely think history shows RJ was clearly the wrong choice, albeit some 20-20 hindsight. Sorry definitely did not to reopen that pandora's box of an argument but I think it would have bought TD some additional time.

I know he has to go, but I was really hopeful he would succeed in Buffalo. Seemed like a classy individual. Damn good marketer but I guess he proved to be a pretty lousy talent evaluator. Not to come off as a flake but RJ over Flutie was his first stupid mistake; Lardass Williams over McKinnie was the next, and misfiring on two head coaches was his third - those three decisions I believe doomed him. GW will be a good HC but TD needed to bring in at least one guy with experience. I guess he was afraid of someone really strongwilled. Any thoughts as we close this chapter? (I'm a newbie poster transplanted in the Carolinas so go easy on me) :(

551537[/snapback]

I do find it interesting...Now that TD is gone it seems to have dropped to footnote status around here, while most are sitting on pins and needles waiting for the Mularkey announcement...

I for one would have accepted TD back with open arms if it meant getting rid of Mularkey...Though I've thought all along both should be canned...

I have a terrible feeling about this MM decision...I think if he escapes with his Job the Bills biggest problem remains...I hope I'm wrong though...

MM=Doomed.... B-)

True, neither was a long term solution but Flutie was the short term answer IMO and I think he could have salvaged a few more wins from that 3-13 debacle in 2001. Don't know how many but the little guy did light a fire under the Chargers that season if my memory serves me right. Point is TD was operating uphill from there. I definitely think history shows RJ was clearly the wrong choice, albeit some 20-20 hindsight. Sorry definitely did not to reopen that pandora's box of an argument but I think it would have bought TD some additional time.

551592[/snapback]

Didn't the Chargers go 5-11 that year? Whoop de doo.

Didn't the Chargers go 5-11 that year? Whoop de doo.

551633[/snapback]

Oops, I thought it was better than that. My bad. I liked that too that TD answered those fan emails....seemed like an accountable guy and a hard worker. Just didn't pan out.

551546[/snapback]

at the time i was excited about the bledsoe trade,td's mistake was not taking advantage of drews game and building a team around him.he should have spent all his time and energy getting drew a oline and a great tight end.td would still be here if he had done that and we would be in the playoffs right now!

551592[/snapback]

Flutie might have made us mediocre- which would have dropped us in the draft.

Now I'm not saying you don't try your best to win games- you always try to win- but not with a stop gap like Flutie.

I don't call anyone "classy" who treats fans like they are 'turds'!

551763[/snapback]

I was at the Patriots game, and the fans in my section were acting like turds- I stood up and cheered as they were thrown out. That was better than anything in the past 5 years....wish they were roughed up! :unsure:

McGahee was another mistake...he picked up a player that couldn't develop or even run his first year

if he wanted help at RB, he could've picked a surer commodity in Larry Johnson (a better bet since there was no guarantee that Willis could even return to form)