ESPN Mock draft - updated today

VABills

In the end I think we'll likey end up with D'Brickshaw Ferguson since there really are 7 players better than him in the draft (Bush, Leinart, Young, Hawk, Williams, J. Williams and D. Williams) due to the needs of teams above us.  Out of the top 5 teams above us (Forget the top two who will draft Bush and Leinart 1-2) only TEN and NYJ have a real need at LT but how can they pass up players like Young or Williams or Hawk of J. Williams?

554825[/snapback]

I'm going to take that as "better suited" as opposed to thinking Ferguson is the 8th best player in the entire draft. In my opinion, he's the 2nd best plaeyer in this draft after Reggie Bush, just ahead of Mario Williams.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to take that as "better suited" as opposed to thinking Ferguson is the 8th best player in the entire draft.  In my opinion, he's the 2nd best plaeyer in this draft after Reggie Bush, just ahead of Mario Williams.

554849[/snapback]

I think the argument is "puppy" or "dog" at this point. However I wouldn't say he's the 2nd best player in the draft. I'd rank him 5th at this point but because of need he'll likley fall to us.

hahaha, that doesnt sound like mike williams to you?

554829[/snapback]

Not really. Lazy and slow are two two different things and i'm not really sold on the fact that MW is lazy as much as he was hobbled by injury this year.

If McNeill puts up the numbers a the combine his stock will go through the roof. the guy is 6-9 and sometimes you can't even see the DE he's blocking and for that matter, the sun.

He's massive.

So you've got two choices.  Draft them out of HS or stop drafting OL because they are ALL overweight.

554923[/snapback]

They are?

Levi Jones is so heavy that he was ineffective coming out of college? How about Orlando Pace?

You know what I mean, man. Mike Williams was GROSSLY above what his playing weight should be coming out of school.

I can't imagine us passing Williams if he's anything close to the athlete that Peppers is.  We'll have to wait until the combine answers those questions.  I also can't see Williams dropping to us either but who knows.

I'm not convinced that Hali is the same DE as Freeney but again we'd have to his combine numbers.

I think it would be easier to draft OT and sign a DT (And cheaper) because of how deep this draft is at OT and how hard it would be to shore up OT via FA.

There are two players dropping that I think would be huge steals if we could trade up into the 1st round for them -- DT Rodrique Wright and OT Eric Winston.  anyone who says he's lazy and an underachiever needs to look at the numbers he has produced.  I mean the guy had 7.5 sacks a couple of seasons ago and a season ago he was hampered by injury (Not sure what his total is this season).  Winston would be a risk but he'd end the need for a LT for the next 6 years.

In the end I think we'll likey end up with D'Brickshaw Ferguson since there really are 7 players better than him in the draft (Bush, Leinart, Young, Hawk, Williams, J. Williams and D. Williams) due to the needs of teams above us.  Out of the top 5 teams above us (Forget the top two who will draft Bush and Leinart 1-2) only TEN and NYJ have a real need at LT but how can they pass up players like Young or Williams or Hawk of J. Williams?

My guess is that they won't and we'll end up solving our LT problem.  i'm really not too worried about our first pick as much as I am our second.

We could easily trade up a couple spots and solve our DT problem or stand pat and draft an interior OL and depending on what's on the board that wouldn't be a bad call.  If Wright is their I think you've got to go get him but he likely won't be after people see him at the combines.

554825[/snapback]

I agree with your accessment on the ol. Good post. So how do you see the ol panning out?

I think that if we do indeed get a left tackle through the draft with our first pick (Dabrick). There are other holes to fill. Lg and center. I don't see Teague and Anderson sticking in 06 at all. Preston back to his normal or shall I say natural position at center? And Lg could be filled through fa.. Leaving the right hand side alone with CV and Peters. Or trading down for Winston and picking up more picks on the dl and ol to build more depth. If they are going with the first round ol pick take Dabrick then build from there. That imo is the best option.

My top 10

1. Bush

2. Young (stock rose from last night)

3. Hawk

4. Leinart

5. DaBrick

6. Williams, Mario

7. Kiwanuka

8. Davis

9. Ngata

10. Williams (Memphis rb)

11. Justice

12. Huff

13. Williams (cb VT)

14. Hali

15. Maroney

Followed closely by Greeway, Mc Neill, Bunkley and Landry.

Not really.  Lazy and slow are two two different things and i'm not really sold on the fact that MW is lazy as much as he was hobbled by injury this year.

If McNeill puts up the numbers a the combine his stock will go through the roof.  the guy is 6-9 and sometimes you can't even see the DE he's blocking and for that matter, the sun.

He's massive.

554920[/snapback]

whhhaaaaaaaat????? mike williams is not lazy? are you serious? i give up, that makes no sense at all, mike williams and not lazy is like an oxy moron

I agree with your accessment on the ol.  Good post.  So how do you see the ol panning out? 

I think that if we do indeed get a left tackle through the draft with our first pick (Dabrick).  There are other holes to fill.  Lg and center.  I don't see Teague and Anderson sticking in 06 at all.  Preston back to his normal or shall I say natural position at center?  And Lg could be filled through fa..  Leaving the right hand side alone with CV and Peters.  Or trading down for Winston and picking up more picks on the dl and ol to build more depth.  If they are going with the first round ol pick take Dabrick then build from there.  That imo is the best option.

555464[/snapback]

It looks to me that the OL is going to undergo major changes and upgrades but it may not result in an immediate improvement. I'd be really surprised if Mike Williams is allowed to walk with such an enormous cap hit so I'd expect him to restructure and stay at RT.

Of course if the staff feels likeMW is never going to be the answer at RT and Peters is then they'll probably cut their losses. I guess we'll know around june 15th of this year.

I don't think we'll be needing a C since it looks like Preston is the real deal or at least an upgrade over Teague.

The more I think about the LT spot the more I look at it as an upgrade vs. solving a problem since Gandy did do some respectable work there. if we do upgrade then Gandy becomes a more athletic and comparably priced version of Marcus Price.

Then there is the LG position. After spending considerable money on Anderson I hope they're not shy about going to the well again to try to replace him (Can he be cut with a less than devastating cap hit? Not sure.) with Bentley or Hutchinson. We could always draft a G but there is much there this year and I'd hate to use our first two picks on OL when we need DL help so desperately.

If we can somehow get a LT AND a DT in this draft (Which is very possible) I think we'd be fools not trade up to do it.

There's no reason we can't rebuild and reload our roster in this draft seeing as how we need a CB (If Nate leaves), SLB, FS and SS and depth along the lines IF we can address OT and DT with the first two picks.

I couldn't imagine a better draft than one that has us taking Ferguson at 8 and trading up to get a falling Rodrique Wright (Don't believe the hype --- he's for real).

Everything else is just gravy after that.

It looks to me that the OL is going to undergo major changes and upgrades but it may not result in an immediate improvement.  I'd be really surprised if Mike Williams is allowed to walk with such an enormous cap hit so I'd expect him to restructure and stay at RT.

Of course if the staff feels likeMW is never going to be the answer at RT and Peters is then they'll probably cut their losses.  I guess we'll know around june 15th of this year.

I don't think we'll be needing a C since it looks like Preston is the real deal or at least an upgrade over Teague.

The more I think about the LT spot the more I look at it as an upgrade vs. solving a problem since Gandy did do some respectable work there.  if we do upgrade then Gandy becomes a more athletic and comparably priced version of Marcus Price.

Then there is the LG position.  After spending considerable money on Anderson I hope they're not shy about going to the well again to try to replace him (Can he be cut with a less than devastating cap hit?  Not sure.) with Bentley or Hutchinson.  We could always draft a G but there is much there this year and I'd hate to use our first two picks on OL when we need DL help so desperately.

If we can somehow get a LT AND a DT in this draft (Which is very possible) I think we'd be fools not trade up to do it.

There's no reason we can't rebuild and reload our roster in this draft seeing as how we need a CB (If Nate leaves), SLB, FS and SS and depth along the lines IF we can address OT and DT with the first two picks.

I couldn't imagine a better draft than one that has us taking Ferguson at 8 and trading up to get a falling Rodrique Wright (Don't believe the hype --- he's for real).

Everything else is just gravy after that.

555940[/snapback]

It's pretty sad if you think about it that Mike Williams has alot to do with what direction the ol is going to go in. If he is an official "bust" then we take a big cap hit. Is it the coaching? Lack of character? If he could just get healthy and lose the right amount of weight and just disipline himself then well.... I just think that the guy is the furthest thing away from a pro that you can be at this level. Reminds me of a little kid in a grown mans body. It just doesn't seem like he is mature enough mentally. Or maybe he's just not smart. Don't know. I wonder what his wonderlic score was?

Thanks for the reply!