So...Anyone like Tressel now?

KOKBILLS

Hmm...leave a program like Ohio State to come to the Buffalo Bills, with no quarterback, no offense and an anemic defense? Let's be realistic. We would be one of the LEAST attractive organizations for any head coach to come. I know there are any number of good coaches out there, but I think we may be victims of the "having been a head coach in the NFL" syndrom. I think firing TD and MM (keeping him and sucking for 3 more years because of his salary? ...come on.) and appointing Levy temporary GM and Head Coach for the next six months to appoint and orient a new head coach would be the way to go. Gives us a lot of opportunities to find coaches who can really do the job here, and Levy might even stay on as GM for a year or two.

....as a former Buffalonian now living in Youngstown, I would love to see Tressel as head coach, but unlikely. As far as the "crooked" aspects of his coaches or himself......it's all about winning. Tressel isn't doing anything every other major college (or small college for that matter) doesn't do to attract the best players.

The difference between Tressel and other coaches is that he's smart and practical about it and doesn't get caught. I also think he's pretty clean compared to the excesses at some of the other major colleges across the country. Besides, the NCAA has got to be one of the most hypocritical organizations ever created.

He totally outcoached Weis, making critical adjustments after the first quarter.  Tressel really did his homework.

549764[/snapback]

i don't know about that. from what i could tell, most of it had to do with tressel having bigger, stronger, and faster guys to coach than weis. osu is clearly more talented physically than nd this year -- that's obvious.

He totally outcoached Weis, making critical adjustments after the first quarter.  Tressel really did his homework.

549764[/snapback]

Notre Dame was outplayed. Weis wasn't outcoached. If anything Weis did a great job getting Notre Dame in position to have a shot at the end. The game came down to the fact that Ohio State had too much speed on offense for Notre Dame's undermanned defense. Hard to coach that.

Notre Dame was outplayed.  Weis wasn't outcoached.  If anything Weis did a great job getting Notre Dame in position to have a shot at the end.  The game came down to the fact that Ohio State had too much speed on offense for Notre Dame's undermanned defense.  Hard to coach that.

550043[/snapback]

absolutely.

My problem with Tressel is that he has absolutely ZERO NFL Coaching experience of any kind. The guy bounced around the college ranks for a bit, without establishing any obvious NFL connections, before taking the Youngstown State job in 1985. He was at that Division I-AA school for 15 years before joining OSU four years ago.

This is in contrast with many of the other "hot" coaching names from college football: Kirk Ferentz coached under Bill Belichick, as did Pat Hill of Fresno State; Bobby Petrino was with Tom Coughlin in Jacksonville.

NFL Experience is important because it *is* a different game than the college game - I think the Sugar Bowl last night was a great example of this. That game at times looked almost like it was a different sport from NFL football. More importantly, NFL Experience is where you build up connections that help you assemble an NFL Staff. If the Bills were to hire Tressel, its hard to envision what sort of staff he might assemble - either he brings his college staff wholesale to the pro game; or he's taking a lot of shots in the dark with people who doesn't really know or have strong recommendations about. Either way, it seems like a less-than-desirable situation.

So, while I can't argue with Tressel's accomplishments at what he has done, the lack of any NFL Experience puts him a notch below other candidates like Kirk Ferentz and Ron Rivera in my book.

JDG

My problem with Tressel is that he has absolutely ZERO NFL Coaching experience of any kind.  The guy bounced around the college ranks for a bit, without establishing any obvious NFL connections, before taking the Youngstown State job in 1985.  He was at that Division I-AA school for 15 years before joining OSU four years ago.

This is in contrast with many of the other "hot" coaching names from college football: Kirk Ferentz coached under Bill Belichick, as did Pat Hill of Fresno State; Bobby Petrino was with Tom Coughlin in Jacksonville. 

NFL Experience is important because it *is* a different game than the college game - I think the Sugar Bowl last night was a great example of this.  That game at times looked almost like it was a different sport from NFL football.  More importantly, NFL Experience is where you build up connections that help you assemble an NFL Staff.    If the Bills were to hire Tressel, its hard to envision what sort of staff he might assemble - either he brings his college staff wholesale to the pro game; or he's taking a lot of shots in the dark with people who doesn't really know or have strong recommendations about.    Either way, it seems like a less-than-desirable situation.

So, while I can't argue with Tressel's accomplishments at what he has done, the lack of any NFL Experience puts him a notch below other candidates like Kirk Ferentz and Ron Rivera in my book.

JDG

550107[/snapback]

All valid points...

Tressel does strike me as the type of HC/Leader who can overcome much of that with his smarts and ability to get his message across...But no question there would be a steep learning curve involved...And in no way by recommending Tressel am I trying to say that College Football is similar to the NFL Game...Rather, I think a REAL good Leader in College will still be a REAL good Leader in the NFL... :D