Pray for the Jets

dont leave your igloo....why take a chance on stepping out and getting eaten by a polar bear, or run over by a bunch of huskies and a sled

MTV just called. They have a gig lined up for you as a joke writer. The pay is good and you get to french with Carson Daly at his whim.

i'd still want the highest pick i could get and the best athlete at the position that fits the most dire of the team

545099[/snapback]

That's because you know jack sh-- about football.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

MTV just called.  They have a gig lined up for you as a joke writer.  The pay is good and you get to french with Carson Daly at his whim.

That's because you know jack sh-- about football.

545100[/snapback]

and what do you know.....if Bill Polian is the best GM is it cause he's the luckiest?

Personally I wish the BILLS would trade out of the first round every year unless there is a clear game changer available when the pick comes up.

545097[/snapback]

There will always be people who will give you multiple items for a first round draft pick...be it more picks, other players, etc. At the risk of speaking over my own head, I think increasingly the talent level dropoff from first to second and third rounds becomes less and less while the financial differences between players picked in the first round and third round ARE significant.

I would not be upset if the Bills got a top five pick in the draft. I WOULD be upset if they didn't use it to trade down for more options instead of using it on a high-priced person that some might perceive to be an immediate impact player whose very presence on the field will turn the team around. It just doesn't happen that way.

Thanks for the in depth look into my person.  I'll now spend the rest of my life wondering how I can ever look at myself in the mirror.

545137[/snapback]

dont....just shine up a piece of ice and think to yourself......it's not all about luck

In response to your highlighted remarks to my statements.

1. I think a win goes a lot further in advancing this team toward the Super Bowl than any slight movement up a draft board could.

2. I give an emotional commitment to this team. If they win it does lift my spirits, if they lose it has the opposite effect on me.

3. Of course I care about the future, but a loss is not going to change what happens with MM or TD. Do you honestly think these last 2 games are going to save or lose those two their jobs? Their fate has already been decided. I think MM gets another year, and TD is gone, whether we win or lose the last 2.

As for moving up the draft board for a few picks...bah humbug! I'd rather pick 7-12 than in the top 6 any day. It is a lot less money being spent on a unknown prospect with the same upside. The closest thing to a given in the top 5 is Bush, after that it IS a crap shoot (and Bush is not a given either).

544712[/snapback]

I'm rooting for the Bills to win because that's the objective of the game.

I agree with most of your points, but the NFL draft as a "crapshoot" is a myth. The simple fact is, the majority of the best players in the league are very high picks(rounds 1 and 2). Take a look at the Pro Bowl rosters. If the draft were a crapshoot, equal levels of performance would be drawn from each round, which is overwhelmingly not the case.

That said, each draft does not have equal talent. I think this year, the upper tier of talent available in this draft will extend into wherever the Bills end up selecting so they should be able to get an impact player regardless of the outcome Sunday.

The simple fact is, the majority of the best players in the league are very high picks(rounds 1 and 2).  Take a look at the Pro Bowl rosters.  If the draft were a crapshoot, equal levels of performance would be drawn from each round, which is overwhelmingly not the case.

I don't think anybody here ever said that "rounds 1 and 2" aren't important. I think the prevailing commentary is "it doesn't matter if you pick 5-10 or 11-15, it's a crapshoot whether you'll get a good player."

At least, that's how I read it.

CW

I live for this.  Could some more adolescents please take a crack at AD...please?

545167[/snapback]

well oneida, as much as you like seeing ad covering up on the ropes....i'll let him go....cause i'm simply not just here for your pleasure

Please show me the correlation between high draft picks and Superbowl victories.

CW

544718[/snapback]

look no further than the dallas cowboys who dominated the bills in more than one superbowl through the 90's, a true dynasty, ....their run started after stock piling picks by trading Herschel Walker and 1-15 season

name any superbowl team and high draft picks will be found on the roster.....of course teams making the playoffs the season before have been more likely to win a championship in the following year.........

look no further than the dallas cowboys who dominated the bills in more than one superbowl through the 90's, a true dynasty, ....their run started after stock piling picks by trading Herschel Walker and 1-15 season

name any superbowl team and high draft picks will be found on the roster.....of course teams making the playoffs the season before have been more likely to win a championship in the following year.........

545445[/snapback]

And how many of those picks were top 5 or top 7 picks? I'd venture to guess not very many of them (but I havn't checked).

CW

And how many of those picks were top 5 or top 7 picks?  I'd venture to guess not very many of them (but I havn't checked).

CW

545448[/snapback]

top 5 or 7? I know Russel Maryland and Aikman were no. 1's in ther drafts respectively, I know Michael Irvin was a first round selection, and Emmit Smith a first round selection, and CB Kevin Smith a first round selection, but none as high as 7 more like 11-17 overall....but still all first round picks.......

the system the way it is set up isnt going to allow too many on one team in the top 5 overall, unless of course they are perennial losers who draft bad in the first place.

And how many of those picks were top 5 or top 7 picks?  I'd venture to guess not very many of them (but I havn't checked).

CW

545448[/snapback]

That number would be THREE (Troy Aikman/Russell Maryland/Steve Walsh). JJ thought so much of Aikman after his rookie campaign that he tossed ANOTHER overall number one (this in the supplemental) to pick Steve Walsh. That cost him the number one overall in 1990. Really dumb but the litany of picks he got allowed him alot of leeway to build his team.

It was a once in a lifetime situation in NFL history but we can pretend different. He had three #1 overall picks and got a HoFer, a decent starter, and a bust. Pretty much the way first round percentages seem to go.

He had three #1 overall picks and got a HoFer, a decent starter, and a bust.  Pretty much the way first round percentages seem to go.

545455[/snapback]

if 33% hall of famers is small i wanna draft first every year....but i doubt anyone else would think it's fair