Profiles in Christianity

Mickey

The Bible tells us little about the life of Jesus in his formative years.  I've sometimes tried to interpret this to mean we should hear little from our male children between the ages of 12 and 30.  No sale at my house.  Anyway, a pastor once told me that there are writings about Jesus that are not in the Bible, about miracles performed, and doves.  Some anchient editorial staff decided the stories were not credible enough to be included.

543950[/snapback]

There are plenty of writing from that area. Barnabas wrote quite a bit, and he is mentioned quite often in the Bible. He actually has some very strong writings against abortion. Which did in fact take place even back then.

Good point about books/information being available that are not always in the Bible, but do portray the life and teachings.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bible tells us little about the life of Jesus in his formative years.  I've sometimes tried to interpret this to mean we should hear little from our male children between the ages of 12 and 30.  No sale at my house.  Anyway, a pastor once told me that there are writings about Jesus that are not in the Bible, about miracles performed, and doves.  Some anchient editorial staff decided the stories were not credible enough to be included.

543950[/snapback]

Not only that but the excluded text became forbidden texts pretty quickly. Most have not survived, it is beleived, because to have them was heresy. They were destroyed and those who had kept them stoned, hung, burned or whatever they did with heretics back then.

it's funny how the extreme right in America likes to exclude everybody but themselves from what they feel is "right"...

"if you are for abortion you can not be a christian"

"if you don't like the Patriot Act you're not a true american"

"if you don't support the government you're anti-patriotic"...

i wonder how they can really hope one day having a majority of americans behind them while considering a vast majority of them not even one of theirs

it's funny how the extreme right in America likes to exclude everybody but themselves from what they feel is "right"...

"if you are for abortion you can not be a christian"

"if you don't like the Patriot Act you're not a true american"

"if you don't support the government you're anti-patriotic"...

i wonder how they can really  hope one day having a majority of americans behind them while considering a vast majority of them not even one of theirs

557119[/snapback]

Says the man whose government persecutes Muslims

:lol:

543950[/snapback]

Very true. The Church systematically edited out any text they found to not agree with thier views, or interfere with thier absolute power at the time. St Thomas Aquinas was reputed to be one of the editors...

I take it you are not talking about the High School in New Jersey?  They always have a great crew team.

Not every Christian faith shares that particuarl view.

557572[/snapback]

hows about you define Christian.

hows about you define Christian.

558142[/snapback]

Mickey is technically correct. The Orthodox churches of the east have always maintained that the Holy Spirit proceeds from the Father, where the creeds of the Western Churches usually maintain that the Holy Spirit proceeds from the Father and Son. (double procession).

Nothing like a good Filioque controversy to liven up a debate.

Very true. The Church systematically edited out any text they found to not agree with thier views, or interfere with thier absolute power at the time. St Thomas Aquinas was reputed to be one of the editors...

557817[/snapback]

Thomas Aquinas as biblical editor is unlikely. St. Jerome's latin vulgate was well established by the 13th century and every theological student would have had to comment on every sentence of the bible (aquinas included) during their cursory at University.

Perhaps you are thinking of Augustine of Hippo who was influencial at the Council of Rome in 382 when the modern canon was established.

Thomas Aquinas as biblical editor is unlikely. St. Jerome's latin vulgate was well established by the 13th century and every theological student would have had to comment on every sentence of the bible (aquinas included) during their cursory at University.

Perhaps you are thinking of Augustine of Hippo who was influencial at the Council of Rome in 382 when the modern canon was established.

559898[/snapback]

Perhaps, I am writing from memory. I will check my references and get back on that...

Mickey is technically correct. The Orthodox churches of the east have always maintained that the Holy Spirit proceeds from the Father, where the creeds of the Western Churches usually maintain that the Holy Spirit proceeds from the Father and Son. (double procession).

Nothing like a good Filioque controversy to liven up a debate.

559858[/snapback]

I guess he is planning to exclude from the definition of "christian" any who don't share his belief as to the nature of the Holy Spirit. I don't really understand the point of his demand that I define "christian" for him made in counterpoint to what I thought was a fairly self evident and general observation that not all christians agree on all theological points such as the nature of the Spirit.

This brings to mind an interesting feature of the role faith plays for some people when it comes to politics. To some, their christian faith drives their political beliefs so much so that when they meet another christian whose politics differ significantly from their own, it presents a vexing dilemma for them. They either have to re-think their certainty that christian faith requires certain political views or they must conclude that the christians who disagree with them politically aren't christian enough or worse, that they are lesser, "mistaken" christians. From political to theological arrogance.

It really isn't such a stretch to go from imposing your religious views on others of differing faiths to imposing your religious views on others of the same faith.

* first this is not "my" government i'm not prime minister of france.

* second i wonder what you're talking about... muslims are a lot less persecuted in France than  let's say, blacks in the USA.

558114[/snapback]

riiiiiiight.

that's why they set the suburbs of Paris ablaze, huh?

* first this is not "my" government i'm not prime minister of france.

* second i wonder what you're talking about... muslims are a lot less persecuted in France than  let's say, blacks in the USA.

558114[/snapback]

Please enlighten us as to how blacks are persecuted in the United States.

riiiiiiight.

that's why they set the suburbs of Paris ablaze, huh?

560223[/snapback]

South Central L.A. circa 1990: about 50 deads in about 2 nights.

France 2005: 0 dead in 20 nights.

The worst poor suburbs in France are much safer than any inner city ghetto in America.

We have nothing to be proud of here in France. The integration into the main stream society of the last immigration waves has been a total failure but on that point i dare to say the USA has NO advice to give us. 140 years after the end of slavery the integration into main stream America of its black minority is still a total failure. At least France has failed for only 30 years.