Excellent article on HC candidates for Bills.

PIZ

I'd take Russ Grimm ........ after all look how well the steelers have been doing .... you just can't go wrong picking up one of their assistants ....... oh wait ...... nevermind :doh:

539166[/snapback]

MM was going to be run out of town in Pittsburgh, when the Bills made him

the HC.....His offense did suck....even though he resurrcted Maddox's career

that was just one year......

On the other hand,

Russ Grimm was promoted to Assistant HC to prevent other teams from

grabbing him unless for a HC job and he almost got the Chicago job....

If the choice was only to pick from a pool of assistants, I will hire Russ Grimm.

Of course this is all on the assumption that TD is miles away from OBD.

Carthon would be the worst possible choice. He has had a history of not being able to get along with the players.

Saunders is intriguing for all of the reasons mentioned. His situation kinda reminds me of Marv's when he was hired back in 86.

I don't know much about Grimm as a coach, but he was a tough SOB as a player. Maybe he could be the solution to the team's mental toughness issue. Could you imagine someone like Mike Williams wimping out on him?

I'm on the Al Saunders bandwagon

Simply put, Saunders has presided over the NFL’s most prolific scoring offense over the last four seasons. During that span, no NFL team has registered more points than the 1,754 accumulated by the Chiefs, an average of 27.4 ppg. In 2004, Kansas City scored 30+ points in five consecutive games, a first in team history. The Chiefs led the NFL in scoring in both 2002 and 2003, becoming the first AFC team to lead the league in scoring in back-to-back seasons since San Diego in ‘81-82. During the 2003 season alone, the Chiefs piled up a franchise-record 484 points after registering a league-high 467 points in 2002.

Dating back to 2001 when Saunders took over as offensive coordinator, the Chiefs rank first in the NFL with 24,278 net yards of total offense (379.3 ypg). The Chiefs oppulent numbers during that 64-game span from 2001-04 are also the league’s best in the following seven categories: offensive TDs (200), rushing TDs (105), total first downs (1,413), Red Zone TD percentage (64.3%), runs of 10+ yards (255), passing yards per attempt (7.79) and passing yards per completion (12.58).

The guy focus's on the run game, and simply put his offensives dominate teams. He's a lot more proven then any coordinator in the league with the exception of Monte Kiffin. Nothing like Mike Mularkey or Gregg Williams

Please, after "Full of Mularkey" I want no part in any coach whose name can be made into a derogatory pun:

Russ "The Situation is" Grimm

Gil "Eddie" Haskell

Jim "<so many choices I don't know where to start>" Fossil (sic)

539250[/snapback]

I guess that rules out Sam Crappyline, the current HC of Northeastern Idaho State...

The bad thing is there isn't many proven coaches available this year...

You're right, there's a very thin pool this year. Thats not much of a list, and while I believe that Ferentz, Fisher or Edwards would be better than any of the list, the only name on the list that seems decent is Grimm. Grimm is a tough-guy and seems almost Ditka-esque. You know he wouldn't neglect the OL and he would establish the run. We'd have a helluva tough team if he could get the players to buy in.

why herm edwards?

539312[/snapback]

You can tell the difference between Herm Edwards and MM by watching one press conference for each, whether it follows a win or loss. The press conference itself doesn't matter, but it gives you a quick glance into the guy. Herm Edwards is a hard nosed, no excuse, no BS guy, and MM is the exact oposite. Herm would tighten up the ship, and get us into a run and defense team that would allow JPL to grow.

I've watched Herm Edwards having winning teams and losing teams, and I've had nothing but respect for the guy each step of the way. Not saying he has to be the one, but the difference in mentality between him and MM is the reason we need a new head coach this off season.