Nate Clements lit up again but....

Solitary

I blame Jerry Gray for much of this. Nate is constantly lining up 7-10 yds off his man whether in zone or man to man. Thats tough for any corner to stop slants, crosses, fades etc. That why Rod Smith appeared so open all night. I think if Nate and Mcgee were allowed to be up at the line and play some bump and run it would be different. On the other hand Milloy and Vincent are so poor in coverage maybe Gray feels he can't risk it. We are in BIG trouble at safety people, may need to take that kid from Texas with our first pick despite the needs at both lines.

i do remember clements getting torched when he was in press once too.

i think grey has moved away from his schemes to a plain vanilla D. it worked pretty well when we first put it in against carolina, but you can't just play a good team vanilla all game and get get exploited a few times.

i also think grey's schemes looked better than the were last year and before because of the insane talent we had on D, now with a few injuries and departures there aren't enough studs to cover up the holes in his D

Actually Mcgee got lit up big time more so then clements. Most of rod smith's catches were with mcgee covering him. However with that said jerry grays version of a cover 2 which I hate in any form calls for zone coverage, once the wr gets past the corner backs zone it is the responsibility of another defender in that zone to pick up the coverage. So When people see wr's killing us it's not generally the cb's fault, it's more so the designed schme of the defense.

This defense calls for very good coverage lb's and while I like fletcher he's a step slower then he used to be making him a liability, as is troy vincent at the safety level. We should be playing more man to man defense with the players we have. Our defense generally gets killed with big passes over the middle of the field where in the grays scheme it should be the responsibility of the lb to pick up the underneath coverage the fs to pick up deep.

The D looked WAY better when Pat Williams was stuffing the run and Takeo Spikes was chasing down QBs and RBs. Gray's schemes were solid, but because he had good players playing like men, the D looked (and was) phenomenal.

This is among the multiple reasons TD is under fire - but they're #1 in my book. Letting Williams and Antoine Winfield go were both idiotic moves, but I guess the bottom line ($$$$) is more important.

At least the cap is under control...

Actually Mcgee got lit up big time more so then clements. Most of rod smith's catches were with mcgee covering him.  However with that said jerry grays version of a cover 2 which I hate in any form calls for  zone coverage, once the wr gets past the corner backs zone  it is the responsibility of another defender in that zone to pick up the coverage.  So When people see wr's killing us  it's not generally the cb's fault, it's more so the designed schme of the defense. 

This defense calls for very good coverage lb's and while I like fletcher  he's a step slower then he used to be making him a liability, as is troy vincent at the safety level.  We should be playing more man to man defense with the players we have.  Our defense generally gets killed with big passes over the middle of the field where in the grays scheme it should be the responsibility of the lb to pick up the underneath coverage the fs to pick up deep.

535712[/snapback]

I don't care who was covering him. ANY player who has 9 catches in the first half sound have been double covered. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that you need to bump this guy off the line to mess up the timing of the plays but apparently Jerry Gray was too worried about something to do so. Who knows....I have given up try to figure out what the heck this team is doing.

I don't care who was covering him. ANY player who has 9 catches in the first half sound have been double covered. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that you need to bump this guy off the line to mess up the timing of the plays but apparently Jerry Gray was too worried about something to do so. Who knows....I have given up try to figure out what the heck this team is doing.

535723[/snapback]

that's a good point

we never do simple stuff like stunts, disguised coverages, cloud coverage, rolling coverage to a player as an adjustment in the game effectively.

even when we put 8 in the box we seem to always blitz milloy on the outside and let anything up the middle or a cutback go for big yards.

speaking of which, is there a player who blitzes more for less results in the NFL than milloy?

Clements was bad. Just looks like his head isn't in the game. He's costing himself a hell of a lot of money. McGee looked like our best corner last night. Even when his man made a catch, McGee was right there. I don't want to lose Clements simply becasue that is one more hole to fill (if the franchise # is only $5m, then I would do that and see if he plays better next year, because it will cost more to replace him). I also thought our DT's played decently last night. The bigger problem was with the DE's and the pass rush. This team needs a stud pass rusher. Schobel holds his own but that is all the pass rush this line gets.

Clements was bad.  Just looks like his head isn't in the game.  He's costing himself a hell of a lot of money.  McGee looked like our best corner last night.  Even when his man made a catch, McGee was right there.  I don't want to lose Clements simply becasue that is one more hole to fill (if the franchise # is only $5m, then I would do that and see if he plays better next year, because it will cost more to replace him).  I also thought our DT's played decently last night.  The bigger problem was with the DE's and the pass rush.  This team needs a stud pass rusher.  Schobel holds his own but that is all the pass rush this line gets.

535741[/snapback]

what game were you watching? Mcgee got toasted like a bagel, and when you have teams take several clock killing drives by basically running the ball the de's are far from the problem. These dt's are reserves at best, and the #1 problem on the defense. We have 2 quality starters on the line one of whom who will probably be gone in the offseason Sam Adams. So you're looking at revamping basically the whole dline.

When?  He had great coverage on the Lelie 50 yard bomb.  That was just an unbelievable catch.  He also made a nice play on a fade in the end zone.  Rod Smith beat him on comebacks a few times, but on that turf with that pass rush, that route was almost impossible to defend,

535745[/snapback]

I noticed that too. For some reason MM never picked up on it for his play calling.

I must have been watching the same game, clements in my opinion got toasted alot more than Mcgee! As already posted Mcgee if he gets beat seems to be right there to tackle the guy while nate seems so damn lazy and unmotivated. Mcgee doesn't talk sh-- like clements, and if nate gets 6 million or more(which i would think he will)or more a year at this point i hope he's gone!