Spikes and the future

Anyone who's writing this guy off for next year is fooling themselves. He sounds like a man determined. And I believe him.

From the ESPN article on the TBD front page:

"There's going to be some housecleaning in the league when I get back."

I love it. Can't wait for my favorite Bill to come back and tear it up in '06. Now let's get him and London some help on the DL.

I wish him luck & of course I hope he does continue to excel.  However, talk is cheap.  Remember, this defense was talking in pre-season about being one of the elite defenses of the ages.  :doh:

532061[/snapback]

Talk is indeed cheap. But I believe in this guy, always have. I also believe that this was an injury that was looming since the preseason. We'll never know if this team would have been better with him in there, but I can't believe for a minute it would have been worse. And while Crowell has filled in admirably -- and, if possible, should take Posey's place -- TKO's on-field leadership means even more to the team than his ability. They have even generally played better when he's there just as a spectator (see: at home).

Is anyone else worried Spike may want to bail on us? He left the Bengals because he was tired of losing all of the time. I think he's our best player but I don't know if his presence will turn things around for this team. I think we have 2-3 (maybe more) bad years ahead while we build our offensive and defensive lines. I'm worried he'd want to play for a team with a chance at the playoffs - like the Bengals...

Assuming for a minute Takeo Spikes comes back healthy like runthedamnball said he's a guy we should build our defense around ala the bears with urlacher, the ravens with ray lewis, bring in the talent to compliment him. No More Tim Andersons and justin bannans but some large wide bodied strong dt within the 1st 2 rounds of the draft and build from the line back. Strong run stopping dt, a de to compliment aaron schobel, maybe someone like raheem brock who's stronger against the run and better pass rusher then kelsay, and we'll be able to keep bodies off our lb's to enable them to make plays. I think Crowell has played extremlly well to warrant him taking over for posey next season.

Assuming for a minute Takeo Spikes comes back healthy like runthedamnball said he's a guy we should build our defense around ala the bears with urlacher, the ravens with ray lewis, bring in the talent to compliment him.  No More Tim Andersons and justin bannans but some large wide bodied strong dt within the 1st 2 rounds of the draft and build from the line back.  Strong run stopping dt, a de to compliment aaron schobel, maybe someone like raheem brock who's stronger against the run and better pass rusher then kelsay, and we'll be able to keep bodies off our lb's to enable them to make plays.  I think Crowell has played extremlly well to warrant him taking over for posey next season.

532191[/snapback]

Much as I really like Lee Evans and his position needed to be addressed, we could have had that DT at pick No. 13 in that draft: Tommie Harris. No flashy stats, but they look pretty gooood against the run, notwithstanding Bettis' effort against them in the snow last week.

Edit: I know, we had Pat Williams, but I meant for the future...

Is anyone else worried Spike may want to bail on us?  He left the Bengals because he was tired of losing all of the time....I'm worried he'd want to play for a team with a chance at the playoffs - like the Bengals...

532188[/snapback]

kind of ironic isnt it?

possibly the curse of TKO? Whichecer team has him is doomed to mediocrity? 0:) Nah, i hope he comes back full on next year ready to whoop some ass...after all, i do have his throwback that i still proudly wear.

I don't think we heard anything like that.  If that's true, it calls into question whether he should've shut down before the season and had preventive surgery.

532197[/snapback]

Prior to getting hurt Spikes sensed something might be wrong. He went to the team's training staff on the Thursday before the game against Atlanta. The trainers sent him for a MRI and Spikes and the Bills agreed the area should be re-checked after the game. Unfortunately he tore the Achilles tendon pursuing the elusive Michael Vick three days later.

"I pretty much knew right away what it was when it happened," Spikes recalled. "I had been dealing with the Achilles for a little while at the time and I think it was kind of just a matter of when it was going to happen."

From Spikes' mouth.

Spikes admitted he already had micro-tears in his Achilles and he lived "day to day" praying the tendon wouldn't tear. He had the option of sitting out four to eight weeks and resting his leg. But he felt the injury was inevitable.

KFFL.