What's so big about Tom Modrak?

Orton's Arm

I keep hearing how Tom Modrak has been this great addition to the Bills' staff, and that he will receive serious consideration for GM if TD gets fired. But TD's best draft while in Buffalo was in 2001--before Modrak got here! If the Bills were better at drafting without Modrak than they were with him, why on earth should Modrak be GM?

I keep hearing how Tom Modrak has been this great addition to the Bills' staff, and that he will receive serious consideration for GM if TD gets fired. But TD's best draft while in Buffalo was in 2001--before Modrak got here! If the Bills were better at drafting without Modrak than they were with him, why on earth should Modrak be GM?

531411[/snapback]

Maybe he has been the one screaming for us to upgrade the OL and keep PW, only to be overuled by TD.

We needed a asst. GM and there was no trash out of Pittsburgh at the time.  So TD did the best thing, keep it in the same state...

Id like to see the whole rectum get washed out of OBD

Actually, Tom Modrak served as assistant GM in Pittsburgh to TD, before striking out on his own as Philly's GM.

He did build the Philly 'dynasty.' During his tenure he made some great moves and the Eagles were widely considered to be the best managed team in the NFL (leading the league in smallest amount of dead-cap space for a long time I believe).

His drafts are inconsistent, but he did pick some great players and got some good value. Highlights

RD 1: Tra Thomas: should have been OUR pick...thanks RJ :P

RD 3: Jeremiah Trotter: GREAT find in round 3

RD 3: Allen Rossum

Not a whole lot here, but made the very difficult and verrrry unpopular choice of picking McNabb over Ricky Williams. I think that turned out ok...

RD 1: Corey Simon. Thats about it

Nada...very very Butler-esque as he knew he was on the way out (he left the Eagles like a month after the draft I think) and may have mailed it in.

He took a dreadful Philly team and built a foundation for an elite squad that pretty much dominated the NFC for 4 years. Who knows if that was Reid or him or both?

531411[/snapback]

IMO, 2003 was TD's best draft...even if that year was also the beginning of the end for him (when he stopped seriously addressing the OL).

As for the Modrak issue, I'm in agreement with you. Clean house. We need radically different football views, not Teflon Lite.

He did build the Philly 'dynasty.' During his tenure he made some great moves and the Eagles were widely considered to be the best managed team in the NFL (leading the league in smallest amount of dead-cap space for a long time I believe).

His drafts are inconsistent, but he did pick some great players and got some good value. Highlights

RD 1: Tra Thomas: should have been OUR pick...thanks RJ :P

RD 3: Jeremiah Trotter: GREAT find in round 3

RD 3: Allen Rossum

Not a whole lot here, but made the very difficult and verrrry unpopular choice of picking McNabb over Ricky Williams. I think that turned out ok...

RD 1: Corey Simon. Thats about it

Nada...very very Butler-esque as he knew he was on the way out (he left the Eagles like a month after the draft I think) and may have mailed it in.

He took a dreadful Philly team and built a foundation for an elite squad that pretty much dominated the NFC for 4 years. Who knows if that was Reid or him or both?

531472[/snapback]

so out of those drafts where are the players he brought in for the philly dynasty that has never won a superbowl?philly got there one year and that was cause to wanted to be on philly instead of baltimore.

so out of those drafts where are the players he brought in for the philly dynasty that has never won a superbowl?philly got there one year and that was cause to wanted to be on philly instead of baltimore.

531475[/snapback]

Building a team capable of winning division and conference championships sounds good to me at this point.

so out of those drafts where are the players he brought in for the philly dynasty that has never won a superbowl?

531475[/snapback]

I dont even understand what you are asking. It sounds like you are asking which players from the drafts he ran (98-01) were part of the good Philly teams. That is exactly what I posted....everyone in that post (besides Rossum I guess). Yeah the Eagles never won the big one (thats why I put dynasty in quotes...it was hardly that), but they were GOD AWFUL for the years leading up. In his time there he got them:

-An elite QB who has made them great.

-An anchor LT who is still guarding that QB.

-A MLB who is still the heart of their D.

-A DT who is obviously very well missed this season as their great defense hasn't been up to snuff.

FA moves:

-Picked up Jon Runyan who has anchored the other side of that line for the last 6 years. Top tier RT (except against Strahan...ugly).

-Picked up Hugh Douglas who registered 51.5 sacks in 66 games with Philly.

Look, I mean I'm not trying to make him out to be the best GM in football. To me, his work is very inconsistent and if he really has had a huge say in our recent drafts and moves, then I'm even less impressed. But there is no denying that he built a winner in Philly and I do believe he would be an improvement over our other Tom.

531411[/snapback]

So just because they declined after he came on board, its his fault? TM is a great personnel guy, and is highly respected around the league

Interesting tidbit from KFFL (Profootballtalk.com) on Modrak...take it for what it's worth. Apologies if this has already been posted.

MODRAK A NO-GO IN BUFFALO?

Our suggestion that Tom Modrak might succeed Tom Donahoe as the G.M. in Buffalo has drawn a harsh reaction from one league insider.

"He is one of the biggest frauds in the league," the source said of Modrak. "All he is is an extension of Donahoe. Can't think for himself but he sure knows how to bullsh-t and he may be stabbing Donahoe in the back.

"He is also a very lazy scout," the source opined. "Never does his research. Looks at one tape and forms an opinion. In my view a total joke, but then again, Ralph Wilson has a history of hiring jokes to be his G.M."

The source also predicts that former Modrak colleague Bobby DePaul would not go to work for Modrak, since Modrak once fired DePaul when they both were in Philly.

kffl.com

IMO, 2003 was TD's best draft...even if that year was also the beginning of the end for him (when he stopped seriously addressing the OL).

In 2001, we got Nate Clements, Aaron Schobel, Travis Henry, Ron Edwards, and Jonas Jennings. In 2003 it was Willis McGahee, Chris Kelsay, Angelo Crowell, and Terrence McGee. While I respect the 2003 draft, I believe the 2001 draft was better, because there were two and a half successes in the trenches (Jennings, Schobel, and the half success of Edwards) as opposed to the Kelsay half-success of 2003.