2006 Draft Position Update

Stiffler

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/draft/update

This makes it easier to swallow the terrible losses knowing that our position improves all the while.

And, I also like knowing that we are incredibly helped out by the horrendous records of our AFC East rivals and our game against the Texans-- as a Strength of Schedule that is poor actually improves draft position.

With a home game against Denver (we're already 8 point 'dogs), and road games against Cincy (think +15 underdogs) and the NY Jets, we could easily find ourselves with the 3rd or 4th pick.

And TD was right about one thing before the season: his respective assessment of the 2005 chances of the Titans and Jags. So our 2006 3rd round pick will be quite nice.

This makes it easier to swallow the terrible losses knowing that our position improves all the while.

And, I also like knowing that we are incredibly helped out by the horrendous records of our AFC East rivals and our game against the Texans-- as a Strength of Schedule that is poor actually improves draft position.

With a home game against Denver (we're already 8 point 'dogs), and road games against Cincy (think +15 underdogs) and the NY Jets, we could easily find ourselves with the 3rd or 4th pick. 

And TD was right about one thing before the season:  his respective assessment of the 2005 chances of the Titans and Jags.  So our 2006 3rd round pick will be quite nice.

529901[/snapback]

Hopefully we draft an undersized, high motor defensive lineman who has no ability to sack the QB or stop the run.

The only problem is Cincy and Denver have 10-3 records (only to get better after they bash the Bills). The Bills strength of schedule is going to drastically increase, so if the Bills tie one of these four win teams, they are sure to have a much worse draft position.

That Jets game could be huge. If they go into the game 4-11 and somehow win, they could end up dropping down to somewhere between 10 and 14. That would be a crying shame, because a team this bad should not be picking so late.

:doh:

based on this, there is a good chance the Bills could end up with a #3 pick.

can you imagine if the Bills had given up a 2006 #1 choice to the Cowboys instead of 2005?

This can only mean one thing. the board will be crashing on draft day! :doh:

High picks will only matter if TD isn't making them. I think we all know that, so unless we get the two Christmas gifts we all want (MM the other), the difference between 4th and 9th won't really impact the future of this franchise. Although losing to Carolina years ago for a Peppers for Mike Williams swap would have been nice, and I don't know that even TD would have been able to mess that up.

I think all of us here are hoping for the number 3 pick. That way someone will be willing to overpay (a la NY Giants for Manning) for whoever is number 3, and we can add some draft picks.

I'm of the opinion that we can find a big plug DT in FA, and possibly get a DE first (the N.C. State Guy they are comparing to Peppers) and an OT or DT second.

I don't know how CBS is calculating the Strength of Schedule... maybe they are doing it only on the basis of games played (which would be silly), but I have the Bills with a worse SOS than Tennessee.

By my calculations, here are the SOS standings (the numbers indicate total wins of all 16 of each team's opponents):

St. Louis (five wins) - 101

Buffalo - 103

Tennessee - 104

Cleveland - 105

Arizona - 105

Detroit - 106

NY Jets (three wins) - 107

Baltimore - 108

New Orleans (three wins) - 109

Oakland - 110

Philadelphia (five wins) - 110

Green Bay (three wins) - 112

Right now, the Bills have the sixth pick in the draft, behind Houston, San Francisco, NY Jets, New Orleans, and Green Bay.

JDG - Who personally hopes that the Bills run the table to finish 7-9. Winning, after all, would be far more valuable for building on next year than an extra few spots in the draft.

JDG - Who personally hopes that the Bills run the table to finish 7-9.  Winning, after all, would be far more valuable for building on next year than an extra few spots in the draft.

529995[/snapback]

Completely right on about this, and something that we fans sometimes miss. While losing a game can have its benefits (and we will end up losing some, don't worry), the attitude and experience matter.

Playing like losers for three games instead of playing like winners for three games will have a much more negative impact on the 30 or so guys who will be back in 2006 than a spot or two in the draft will help. It would have been nice to lose to Carolina and get Peppers, but if instead we had won another game and picked 5th and not gotten Mike Williams?

Green Bay went into last night's game 2-10 with "nothing to play for", but Favre showed that at 2-10 he is still a winner and a competitor, and that is what we need to get out of 2005 the best we can.

I think the best way to do that is Fire TD and MM THIS VERY SECOND!!!! and replace them midweek. That would mean we are more in disarray, and probably get beaten even worse on Saturday with worse playcalling, but it would be a step towards winning, while keeping those two losers around is letting the whole team ferment in their stench for another three weeks.

The high draft pick reality is a nice silver lining we can enjoy in three weeks, but anybody who isn't on the "Let's try to get to 5-9" bandwagon should probably look in the mirror and see if they have an "L" on their forehead (MM and TD first please).

Let's hope there's plenty of prospects for OL and DL in the draft, because that's the only way this team gets better. If there's one thing I've seen over this past No Playoffs Era, it's the poor play (OL) or inconsisten play (DL) of the lines.

I think if they can get those two areas shored up, this team is not that far away from at least competing.

Anyone know how much depth there is at OL and DL positions in the draft?

if we get 3rd or 4th we might get young and/or leinhart to fall to us.

we could trade that pick for someone's whole board and a pick next year.

a decent GM with that kind of draft and the guys we have now (and the cap cash) could spin up a team better than we have seen since 1999 here.

And TD was right about one thing before the season:  his respective assessment of the 2005 chances of the Titans and Jags.  So our 2006 3rd round pick will be quite nice.

529901[/snapback]

If Ferguson the LT from Virginia is there when we pick, hopefully he'll be ours.