A brutal question, but........

Having been a Bills fan for a long time now, I'm taking the long term view of this season.

So the question now becomes: Does winning more games this season do any good? I know that sounds like a dumb question, but this season is obviously over, so the time is now to see what the younger players on the team are capable of. I also think that draft position is going to be important next year. Then there's the other issue: If we think Donahoe should be gone, do we really want the team to win the rest of their games and give Wilson the idea that TD should get one more year?

These are sad questions to ask, but the reality is that this season is over and it's time to look at next year.

-sad in Youngstown

Having been a Bills fan for a long time now, I'm taking the long term view of this season. 

So the question now becomes:  Does winning more games this season do any good?  I know that sounds like a dumb question, but this season is obviously over, so the time is now to see what the younger players on the team are capable of.  I also think that draft position is going to be important next year.  Then there's the other issue:  If we think Donahoe should be gone, do we really want the team to win the rest of their games and give Wilson the idea that TD should get one more year?

These are sad questions to ask, but the reality is that this season is over and it's time to look at next year.

-sad in Youngstown

520090[/snapback]

Yes. If we keep losing we might get a top 5 pick. In today's NFL, that is very, very bad. You get an unproven rookie accounting for a significant fraction of your cap (see Mike Williams) while he learns on the job. You don't want a 5 million dollar man. You want your roster stocked with mid-round guys at 1 mill a pop, who you can afford to cut if they don't pan out. You want the extra 4 mill to sign a proven FA star at the height of his career.

Ask yourself this - who has been a better value for the franchise: #4 pick Williams, or the best FA LB on the market TKO, at a just slightly cheaper price?

Yes.  If we keep losing we might get a top 5 pick.  In today's NFL,  that is very,  very bad.  You get an unproven rookie accounting for a significant fraction of your cap (see Mike Williams) while he learns on the job.  You don't want a 5 million dollar man.  You want your roster stocked with mid-round guys at 1 mill a pop,  who you can afford to cut if they don't pan out.  You want the extra 4 mill to sign a proven FA star at the height of his career.

Ask yourself this - who has been a better value for the franchise:  #4 pick Williams, or the best FA LB on the market TKO,  at a just slightly cheaper price?

520216[/snapback]

You could have also used Tomlinson in your argument.... that might give you a different answer.

You could have also used Tomlinson in your argument.... that might give you a different answer.

520227[/snapback]

Sure, if I was simpleton enough to think every top five pick is a Tomlinson. But then another simpleton would throw Eric Couch back. Top fives are busts just slightly less often than other first rounders.

Top fives cost about four times as much as mid-rounders. On average do you get four times the player?