What the heck is a "Holiday Tree"?

SilverNRed

Not the Christmas album????

That would make you an apostate.

I'll say a prayer for you......

Oh Earth Goddess, wrap this man in your ample bossom.....

513430[/snapback]

Ample bosum is nice...but I'm still an ass and legs kinda guy.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How the Secular Humanist Grinch Didn't Steal Christmas | The "War on Christmas" is great for rallying the troops. Too bad the war doesn't exist.

And imagine companies saving time, money and effort by using generic terms while putting up decorations so they don't need to change them 5 times in a month and a half. Capitalist bastards!! :blink:

513085[/snapback]

Try though you might, you can't disguise the fact that this is simply another step in the global war against christianity being waged by atheists everywhere. We can only hope that the madness ends before christians, hanging on by a thread, succumb to sprititual extinction. :w00t:

It is a traditional manner of celebrating the winter solstice practiced by the Druidic-leaning tribes in Central Europe starting around 500 BC.

Personally, I find it grossly offensive, celebrating a Christian holiday with an exclusively pagan ritual...  :blink:

:w00t:

513165[/snapback]

I have a brother-in-law who is from some apostolic church which actually forbids the use of a christmas tree to celebrate Christ's birth because of the pagan connection. I guess they must be christians who hate Christmas?

I have a brother-in-law who is from some apostolic church which actually forbids the use of a christmas tree to celebrate Christ's birth because of the pagan connection.  I guess they must be christians who hate Christmas?

514163[/snapback]

2nd Commandment: Exodus 20: "Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of that is in Heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth".

Your BIL honors that. That's fine with me - tis' his choice and I have no criticism of him.

Not having a tree does not imply hate of Jesus...

2nd Commandment: Exodus 20: "Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of that is in Heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth".

Your BIL honors that. That's fine with me - tis' his choice and I have no criticism of him.

Not having a tree does not imply hate of Jesus...

514358[/snapback]

You have to respect good old fashion Iconoclasm now and then.

Heresy of the 8th century that was this interpretation of the 2nd commandment.

514529[/snapback]

???

Heresy is a man-made concept. I certainly would never take the presumption to speak for God, but I'd like to think that:

a) He smiles on those of good will that find joy in a Christmas Tree.

b) He smiles on those of good will who do not.

Any battle thereof is of our own making.

???

Heresy is a man-made concept. I certainly would never take the presumption to speak for God, but I'd like to think that:

a) He smiles on those of good will that find joy in a Christmas Tree.

b) He smiles on those of good will who do not.

Any battle thereof is of our own making.

514543[/snapback]

I can agree with that ;)

But for the record

Iconoclasts are those that take a literal interpretation of the 2nd commandment.

Iconodules are usually those that don't.

These have been in tension for centuries in the Christian West,

and I respect a good theological battle.

I can agree with that  :lol:

But for the record

Iconoclasts are those that take a literal interpretation of the 2nd commandment.

514554[/snapback]

I can't see that.

Firstly, there are several interpretions of Scripture - take your pick.

Secondly, an iconoclast is one that busts up the conventional wisdom - not likely a crowd to take things literally.

That pesky Free Will... ;):lol:

I can't see that.

Firstly, there are several interpretions of Scripture - take your pick.

Secondly, an iconoclast is one that busts up the conventional wisdom - not likely a crowd to take things literally.

That pesky Free Will... ;)  :lol:

514716[/snapback]

iconoclast

One entry found for iconoclast.

Main Entry: icon·o·clast

Pronunciation: -"klast

Function: noun

Etymology: Medieval Latin iconoclastes, from Middle Greek eikonoklastEs, literally, image destroyer, from Greek eikono- + klan to break -- more at CLAST

1 : one who destroys religious images or opposes their veneration

2 : one who attacks settled beliefs or institutions

- icon·o·clas·tic /(")I-"kä-n&-'klas-tik/ adjective

- icon·o·clas·ti·cal·ly /-ti-k(&-)lE/ adverb

Take your pick :lol: