Keep The Off-Season Wish List Simple

Mark VI

Hmm....not so simple. Some young guys we already have must step up at various positions that could use better play. But Rome wasn't built in a day. There are many needs but the Bills must concentrate on the trenches this off-season. I've seen many a post with people basically naming every position on the team.

This team desperately needs to upgrade the middle on Defense ( Including MLB ) and at least 2-3 spots on the OL.

Preston should be under Center now, getting some reps with Losman. Teague will not be missed at all. Will Mike Williams actually become a Guard or is he due to be cut ? Free Agency seems to have a few good Guard candidates available. The Draft is deep at quality OT's, so the OL could realistically receive a postive upgrade during the upcoming off-season.

I have doubts about the DT position receiving such immediate help. Very thin in Free Agency and the draft. This is where the scouts have to ID some good talent flying under the radar on draft day, since the name guys at the top all have some question marks surrounding them. Bills desperately need to add 2 big DT's.

MLB ? Fletcher has a big heart but is just too small and cannot shed the OL or FB that engages him. He's as much to blame with the big runs up the middle as the poor DT play. I don't get caught up in the tackle stats. Try making the tackles near the line of scrimmage. If a stud MLB like A.J. Hawk is on the draft board, you take him.

If Clements leaves, then Greer,King or someone else has to step up. FA WR's are a dime a dozen every spring. Shouldn't be hard to find a good hands vet if Moulds is cut. Everett should get his shot at TE . We can't afford picks at the so-called skilled positions this year. Others are more pressing

The Bills need to address the shortages in the trenches, first and foremost. DL,OL and MLB.

I'll be interested to see how TD and this Coaching staff survive this off-season. The honeymoon is long over and the upcoming free agency period and draft cannot be screwed up.

Hmm....not so simple. Some young guys we already have must step up at various positions that could use better play. But Rome wasn't built in a day. There are many needs but the Bills must concentrate on the trenches this off-season. I've seen many a post with people basically naming every position on the team.

This team desperately needs to upgrade the middle on Defense ( Including MLB ) and at least 2-3 spots on the OL.

Preston should be under Center now, getting some reps with Losman. Teague will not be missed at all. Will Mike Williams actually become a Guard or is he due to be cut ?  Free Agency seems to have a few good Guard candidates available. The Draft is deep at quality OT's, so the OL could realistically receive a postive upgrade during the upcoming off-season.

I have doubts about the DT position receiving such immediate help. Very thin in Free Agency and the draft. This is where the scouts have to ID some good talent flying under the radar on draft day, since the name guys at the top all have some question marks surrounding them. Bills desperately need to add 2 big DT's.

MLB ? Fletcher has a big heart but is just too small and cannot shed the OL or FB that engages him. He's as much to blame with the big runs up the middle as the poor DT play. I don't get caught up in the tackle stats. Try making the tackles near the line of scrimmage. If a stud MLB like A.J. Hawk is on the draft board, you take him.

If Clements leaves, then Greer,King or someone else has to step up. FA WR's are a dime a dozen every spring. Shouldn't be hard to find a good hands vet if Moulds is cut. Everett should get his shot at TE . We can't afford picks at the so-called skilled positions this year. Others are more pressing

The Bills need to address the shortages in the trenches, first and foremost. DL,OL and MLB.

I'll be interested to see how TD and this Coaching staff survive this off-season. The honeymoon is long over and the upcoming free agency period and draft cannot be screwed up.

511792[/snapback]

You forgot DE--unless you plan on us having 4 Deion Sanders clones in our defensive backfield who can cover people for 10 seconds.

Preston should be under Center now, getting some reps with Losman. Teague will not be missed at all. Will Mike Williams actually become a Guard or is he due to be cut ?  Free Agency seems to have a few good Guard candidates available. The Draft is deep at quality OT's, so the OL could realistically receive a postive upgrade during the upcoming off-season.

511792[/snapback]

I'm sure TD will take all those positions into consideration, then go out and make just 1 big signing but the good news is it will be Jerry Crafts.

511792[/snapback]

One thing is for sure, if they want to win, they can't sleep walk thru free agency like they did last year.

I agree with most of your post, but I say they CAN'T let Clements leave. I also say that if Mercedes Lewis is available at the Bills pick in round 1, he has to be considered. A great TE can make an immediate impact and greatly help a young QB.

DT and OT are areas of need, but I think Peters is the future LT. I also don't believe the draft will yield the kind of performer at DT that we need to right this defense next year. Ngata and Watson are too sluggish and don't dominate enough at their level of competition for my taste, and Rodrique Wright is more of a one gap DT(I think we need a 2 gapper badly).

Maybe getting a bigger MLB, as you suggest, will allow the Bills to flourish with a one-gap DT, but I'd hate to use an early or mid first rounder on a MLB if he isn't going to be a star and I'm not sure Hawk is that guy. Hawk is a very good player, but IMO nowhere NEAR as quick or fast on the field as he has been timed off of it. He's been kind of a disappointment to me, looking stiff and not that athletic and I wonder if he hasn't peaked as an athlete already.

Hutchinson won't play here. The Bills are a NFL outpost. That's why the dredges of NFL rosters, the likes of Gandy and Bennie Fattie show up here.

:blink:

My guess is that the Bills are at the low end of the totem pole, as far as free agency is concerned. If you are a NFL player, I don't believe home games in Orchard Park are high on the agenda. The Bills are more in line fighting for scraps with the likes of the Detroit Lions, then they are getting the more marquee names.

One thing is for sure, if they want to win, they can't sleep walk thru free agency like they did last year.

I agree with most of your post, but I say they CAN'T let Clements leave.  I also say that if Mercedes Lewis is available at the Bills pick in round 1, he has to be considered.  A great TE can make an immediate impact and greatly help a young QB.

DT and OT are areas of need, but I think Peters is the future LT.  I also don't believe the draft will yield the kind of performer at DT that we need to right this defense next year.  Ngata and Watson are too sluggish and don't dominate enough at their level of competition for my taste, and Rodrique Wright is more of a one gap DT(I think we need a 2 gapper badly).

Maybe getting a bigger MLB, as you suggest, will allow the Bills to flourish with a one-gap DT, but I'd hate to use an early or mid first rounder on a MLB if he isn't going to be a star and I'm not sure Hawk is that guy.  Hawk is a very good player, but IMO nowhere NEAR as quick or fast on the field as he has been timed off of it.  He's been kind of a disappointment to me, looking stiff and not that athletic and I wonder if he hasn't peaked as an athlete already.

512187[/snapback]

Bills already have a MLB that is quick and fast. I want one with size that can take on the FB or G without being trampled.

I don't think the Bills would draft another TE early or they would get blasted in the media. I would love to have a Gates, Gonzales, Crumpler type but I keep thinking Rueben Gant,Tony Hunter and Lonnie Johnson when I think of early Bills TE selections. I seriously have doubts about TD on Draft day indentifying our needs and filling them with quality players.

The OT position will have talent into Round 2 but the DT position looks thin, even at the top. If you can't stop the run, then your team will probably fail. What to do ?

in '04, the bills were starting to turn campbell and euhus into productive TEs when they both ripped their knees to shreds vs. the fish. i know it's a stretch, but maybe they just need another year to get back to 100%? with so many needs, i think you might have to swallow hard and address other areas before worrying about tight ends. being able to run and passblock can make marginal TEs look pretty good anyway, so that position has to be pretty far down the list of priorities.

whatever happens with clements and moulds, this team has to look at the middle of the defense first, and also the o-line. i have never been a fan of teague or fletcher, so they should not be hard to upgrade, although i can no longer underestimate donohoe's ability to DOWNGRADE talent position-by-position via the draft and free agency. my faith in him is so poor right now, it's almost not worth discussing what areas the bills should address, as it is shoo-in they will "address" them with sh------- players.

i am ready to turn the entire draft over to rtconner. who's with me?

Hutchinson won't play here. The Bills are a NFL outpost. That's why the dredges of NFL rosters, the likes of Gandy and Bennie Fattie show up here.

My guess is that the Bills are at the low end of the totem pole, as far as free agency is concerned. If you are a NFL player, I don't believe home games in Orchard Park are high on the agenda. The Bills are more in line fighting for scraps with the likes of the Detroit Lions, then they are getting the more marquee names.

Didn't take your Paxil again, eh Chalkie?

511792[/snapback]

Good post. The Bills could go offensive line and just about anywhere on defense, although well spent in the front 7.

QB may also be an issue. One hopes the coaches use the remaining snaps this season as time to evaluate JP with live ammo flying through the air... but, I'm not holding my breath.

If they draft another WR,RB,TE,FB then I'd recommend that the GM simply gets fired right on camera during the ESPN coverage. :lol: