Malpractice suit?

NJ_BillsFan

Hey all. I live in NJ with my fiance. She was recently in the hospital for 1 week. She has ulcerative colitis. They started her on a steroid on Sunday. 2 times a day. Her bloodcount was very low and supposedly the steroid stops the bleeding and is the main medication for this problem. Anyway, on Thursday, I find out that they 'forgot' to give her the steroids on Tuesday & wednesday. A total of 4 doses. Steroids are very strong and people cannon just go off of them, you need to be wheened off. Anyway, the hospital was very careful with their words to me. They said the "computer made a mistake"! What a joke. Well i was just pissed. It delayed her stay 2 more days. She got out yesterday. My aunt who works in the ER at the hospital spoke to someone and they said it is an open shut malpractice case. Supposedly, I can just get a lawyer and the hospital will settle out of court. What would you guys do if this happened to you? I am not that type of person, but it has me pissed that no one appologized, her life was at risk, she was in critical condition, and so on. When she found out she had to stay 2 more days her spirits dropped so much. I am glad she is out of the hospital, but I am so angry about the crap they pulled trying to cover up the fact that it wasn't anyones fault that she didn't get the steroid. I take it as its not like Burger King forgot the fries with the value meal. A persons life was at stake. They messed up, luckily they caught it and shes improving. Again, What would you guys do?

What are the damages? Is your fiance permenantly hurt as a RESULT of the "malpractice?" I don't want you to answer these questions publically, but ask them of yourself. If there are no damages there is no case.

A hospital could screw up badly, but if the screw up does not cuase injury there is no cause of action.

They aren't allowed to apologize - it's all but an admission of guilt.  Think about it.

503842[/snapback]

Sad but true. ;)

I'd probably confront them about it, see if you can reach a mutually agreeable solution without a lawyer. If they blow you off, then talk to someone.

CW

What are the damages? Is your fiance permenantly hurt as a RESULT of the "malpractice?" I don't want you to answer these questions publically, but ask them of yourself. If there are no damages there is no case.

A hospital could screw up badly, but if the screw up does not cuase injury there is no cause of action.

503849[/snapback]

Extra costs from having to stay in the hospital (bills, lost wages, medication, etc) at the very least.

CW

As slothrop alluded to, unless there was physical harm done (even though she was getting treatment, she was living with the disease without treatment), trying to pursue a "pain and suffering" case because your fiance's spirits dropped from having to stay longer in the hospital is not worth the time, money, and aggravation. I'd tell the hospital that I'm definitely NOT going to pay for the charges for the extra 2 days. If you can get that, much less more, without spending money on a lawyer, you'll have "won" of sorts.

The damages are the fact that for 2 days her blood would have reached normal levels again.  They gave her a transfussion and the blood count still started to decrease again until they realized that she wasn't getting steroids.

503867[/snapback]

1. Stop posting specifics about your case, or presumed case, on a public sports messageboard.

2. See a reputable lawyer and let them work directly with the hospital. If you do have a case, you do not want to do something that could interfere with it, or impact it in any way.

3. Stop posting specifics about your case, or presumed case on a public sports messageboard.

1. Stop posting specifics about your case, or presumed case, on a public sports messageboard.

2. See a reputable lawyer and let them work directly with the hospital.  If you do have a case, you do not want to do something that could interfere with it, or impact it in any way.

3.  Stop posting specifics about your case, or presumed case on a public sports messageboard.

503878[/snapback]

I wonder if he knows he can delete his own thread? ;)

The damages are the fact that for 2 days her blood would have reached normal levels again.  They gave her a transfussion and the blood count still started to decrease again until they realized that she wasn't getting steroids.

If they could have avoided the transfusion by giving her steroids, then you may have a case. If she was going to get the transfusion anyway, you don't. And it will be hard to prove that she would have avoided the transfusion even if she HAD been getting steroids. Again I think that the time, money, and aggravation aren't worth it, and I would do what I said, i.e. tell them I'm not paying for any charges incurred during the extra 2 days, and even throw in the transfusion for good measure. If they don't agree to that, then go the lawyer route, realizing it won't be satisfying in any respect.

I'd tell the hospital that I'm definitely NOT going to pay for the charges for the extra 2 days. If you can get that, much less more, without spending money on a lawyer, you'll have "won" of sorts.

And everyone facing constantly increasing health care costs will salute you.

I think this is oddly appropriate.

KRAMER: It's just a write off for them.

JERRY: How is it a write off?

KRAMER: They just write it off.

JERRY: Write it off what?

KRAMER: Jerry all these big companies they write off everything

JERRY: You don't even know what a write off is.

KRAMER: Do you?

JERRY: No. I don't.

KRAMER: But they do and they are the ones writing it off.

It doesn't sound like there was much suffering involved here.

Hospital bills maybe, but I don't see much else besides that they owe you. People screw up in every job, luckily no serious harm was caused here and she just had to deal with the annoyance of the hospital.

503849[/snapback]

And if there is no case, don't do it just because you're mad at someone. Doctors pay ridiculous malpractice insurance costs now.. every time they go up, so do our medical bills.

If they really owe you something and cost you more than you should have had to pay, a letter from a lawyer may get the additional costs covered.

2. See a reputable lawyer and let them work directly with the hospital.  If you do have a case, you do not want to do something that could interfere with it, or impact it in any way.

3.  Stop posting specifics about your case, or presumed case on a public sports messageboard.

503878[/snapback]

Sound advice. ESPECIALLY numbers 1 and 3.

Hey all.  I live in NJ with my fiance.  She was recently in the hospital for 1 week.  She has ulcerative colitis.  They started her on a steroid on Sunday.  2 times a day.  Her bloodcount was very low and supposedly the steroid stops the bleeding and is the main medication for this problem.  Anyway, on Thursday, I find out that they 'forgot' to give her the steroids on Tuesday & wednesday.  A total of 4 doses.  Steroids are very strong and people cannon just go off of them, you need to be wheened off.  Anyway, the hospital was very careful with their words to me.  They said the "computer made a mistake"!  What a joke.  Well i was just pissed.  It delayed her stay 2 more days.  She got out yesterday.  My aunt who works in the ER at the hospital spoke to someone and they said it is an open shut malpractice case.  Supposedly, I can just get a lawyer and the hospital will settle out of court.  What would you guys do if this happened to you?  I am not that type of person, but it has me pissed that no one appologized, her life was at risk, she was in critical condition, and so on.  When she found out she had to stay 2 more days her spirits dropped so much.  I am glad she is out of the hospital, but I am so angry about the crap they pulled trying to cover up the fact that it wasn't anyones fault that she didn't get the steroid.  I take it as its not like Burger King forgot the fries with the value meal.  A persons life was at stake.  They messed up, luckily they caught it and shes improving.  Again, What would you guys do?

503836[/snapback]

Let's put this in perspective: what does her life mean to you? I know you can't put a dollar figure on it but stuff like this just shouldn't happen when people's lives are at risk.

Something for the PP board: If you are a Demo, sue those sons of bitches! If you are a Rep learn to live with their apologies. :rolleyes:

Let's put this in perspective:  what does her life mean to you?  I know you can't put a dollar figure on it but stuff like this just shouldn't happen when people's lives are at risk. 

Something for the PP board:  If you are a Demo, sue those sons of bitches!  If you are a Rep learn to live with their apologies.  :rolleyes:

If they can't prove that she could have avoided the transfusion had she gotten the steroids, then they might have a case. But I doubt that the transfusion would have been avoided therefore you can't sue for anything but the extra 2 days' charges.