How to get the ball back

VRWC

Stopping the clock with no timeouts?

Two minutes left in the game, down by 10 points, no timeouts left, how do you get the ball back and win the game? Start a scuffle on each play, engage the other player to draw two personal foul penalties, the clock will stop, both players get ejected, no yardage or loss of down is awarded. The defense will be able to get the ball back with only burning 30 seconds off the clock. Is this possible? Does the ref start the game clock prior to the snap of the ball after each penalty? If that’s the case, then the above scenario could not happen. Should there be a penalty to the defense for time and not yardage for stopping the game in this situation? Are there any refs out there to clarify this rule or possible game plan?

Stopping the clock with no timeouts?

Two minutes left in the game, down by 10 points, no timeouts left, how do you get the ball back and win the game?  Start a scuffle on each play, engage the other player to draw two personal foul penalties, the clock will stop, both players get ejected, no yardage or loss of down is awarded.  The defense will be able to get the ball back with only burning 30 seconds off the clock.  Is this possible?  Does the ref start the game clock prior to the snap of the ball after each penalty? If that’s the case, then the above scenario could not happen.  Should there be a penalty to the defense for time and not yardage for stopping the game in this situation?  Are there any refs out there to clarify this rule or possible game plan?

502746[/snapback]

Was there any reason not to kneel it and let clock run out?? I mean, the WM fumble really pissed me off. But, maybe there was a good reason to run our best player with two minutes left and get him punched and kicked in the pile????

Well, the only thing is if you can instill a sense of great discipline in your players to not fight back.

If you can do that, and they don't retaliate, then the defense just invites their own personal foul, which is an automatic first down. That would basically negate any benefit of the tactic.

I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure that starting fights, taking penalties, etc, won't help you much.

After the penalties are sorted out and the ball is placed, the play clock and the game clock start going again. The offense could/should let it run to 1 or 2 ticks before snapping the ball, thereby gaining no real advantage for the defense.

I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure that starting fights, taking penalties, etc, won't help you much.

After the penalties are sorted out and the ball is placed, the play clock and the game clock start going again.  The offense could/should let it run to 1 or 2 ticks before snapping the ball, thereby gaining no real advantage for the defense.

502802[/snapback]

A defensive penalty won't stop the clock, but offsetting apparantly does. See this thread I started:

http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?showtopic=34805

CW

I was so certain that they'd just kneel down 3 times that I left at the 2 minute warning. I'm in the parking lot & I'm listening to the radio & KC has the ball.  I'm thinking WTF.

502992[/snapback]

You were there and didn't stop over to Pole 5 ?????

:blink:

You were there and didn't stop over to Pole 5 ?????

:blink:

502997[/snapback]

It started raining as I was headed to the stadium, so I decided to drive around a bit, eat lunch at McDonalds etc. I didn't park until after 12:15. John stiffed again & I was alone.

In a thread yesterday, someone ardently advocated taking consecutive delay-of-game penalties.

One may do that, but the referees have the option of viewing that as unsportsman conduct.

The idea is - play the game. Not use the rules in a grotesque way.

No team does such, to their credit. The clubs and the players are better sports, and have more respect for the game, than some of the so-called fans.. :blink:

In a thread yesterday, someone ardently advocated taking consecutive delay-of-game penalties.

One may do that, but the referees have the option of viewing that as unsportsman conduct.

The idea is - play the game. Not use the rules in a grotesque way.

No team does such, to their credit. The clubs and the players are better sports, and have more respect for the game, than some of the so-called fans.. :blink:

503015[/snapback]

That was me saying we could've taken delay penalties to suck up the entire clock. And sorry, but I'm not buying the "respect for the game," angle. If there was this so-called respect, players wouldn't fake injuries to stop the clock (until a rule was instituted to counter that). Teams wouldn't rush to the line and snap the ball quickly on a questionable play, they'd give the opponent (or the booth) time to decide if it's a replay. I could go on, but you get my point.

CW

That was me saying we could've taken delay penalties to suck up the entire clock.  And sorry, but I'm not buying the "respect for the game," angle.  If there was this so-called respect, players wouldn't fake injuries to stop the clock (until a rule was instituted to counter that).  Teams wouldn't rush to the line and snap the ball quickly on a questionable play, they'd give the opponent (or the booth) time to decide if it's a replay.  I could go on, but you get my point.

CW

503049[/snapback]

Buy into that respect.

Still gonna keep the house at 59 degrees this year? :blink:

j/k

Buy into that respect.

Still gonna keep the house at 59 degrees this year? :blink:

j/k

503080[/snapback]

It's 60 right now. :)

EDIT: Wife finally had enough, so we had to turn the furance on. I say put on another sweater, but I lose that argument. :D

CW