On 1st and 10, 2 minute warning - KNEEL!

Fezmid

My understanding is that 40 seconds runs off for every play. If so, kneel the ball three times (taking delay of games for each to get the full 40 seconds), and the game's over. No fight with ejections, no fumble, no drama.

Someone in the chat room challenged me and said that there's only 25 seconds between plays. I think that he's incorrect, however, based on the Dolphins/Patriots game. There were 35 seconds left in the game, Patriots took a knee, and the game was over. They didn't have to kneel twice because they have 40 seconds per play.

So, why didn't we do that???

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad we won. I just don't know why we had to make it so interesting at the end.

And because I hate when people don't have proof to back up their claims, here's the 45 second playclock comment:

"The college play clock is 25 seconds and begins when the ball is spotted by an official. The NFL play clock is 45 seconds, but that clock starts almost immediately after the previous play has ended, no matter where the ball is."

http://www.kcchronicle.com/SportsSection/o...52125195153.php

CW

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My understanding is that 40 seconds runs off for every play.  If so, kneel the ball three times (taking delay of games for each to get the full 40 seconds), and the game's over.  No fight with ejections, no fumble, no drama.

Someone in the chat room challenged me and said that there's only 25 seconds between plays.  I think that he's incorrect, however, based on the Dolphins/Patriots game.  There were 35 seconds left in the game, Patriots took a knee, and the game was over.  They didn't have to kneel twice because they have 40 seconds per play.

So, why didn't we do that???

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad we won.  I just don't know why we had to make it so interesting at the end.

And because I hate when people don't have proof to back up their claims, here's the 45 second playclock comment:

"The college play clock is 25 seconds and begins when the ball is spotted by an official. The NFL play clock is 45 seconds, but that clock starts almost immediately after the previous play has ended, no matter where the ball is."

http://www.kcchronicle.com/SportsSection/o...52125195153.php

CW

501574[/snapback]

I was wondering this as well...they(KC) had no timeouts, and we didnt kneel? 3 kneel downs would have taken care of the clock...

I was wondering this as well...they(KC) had no timeouts, and we didnt kneel? 3 kneel downs would have taken care of the clock...

501583[/snapback]

Yup, we ran the ball instead, and then a fight ensued, stopping the clock again.

If we knelt the ball, there probably wouldn't have been a big scrum.

CW

your forgetting it was 2nd and 10 after the offsetting penalties....so KC would have gotten the ball back again...

Having said that, I would have kneeled the ball down anyways, KC would have it at 20 yard line(after Moorman blasts the punt into the stands) with bout 20-25 seconds left and KC no TO's = gameover...

your forgetting it was 2nd and 10 after the offsetting penalties....so KC would have gotten the ball back again...

Having said that, I would have kneeled the ball down anyways, KC would have it at 20 yard line(after Moorman blasts the punt into the stands) with bout 20-25 seconds left and KC no TO's = gameover...

501593[/snapback]

the point is, there would have been no penalties had we taken 3 kneel downs. that would have ran the last 2 mins off the clock and won us the game.

501593[/snapback]

As Ramius clarified, it was 1st and 10 BEFORE the offsetting penalties. Kneel the ball, there's probably no fight, game over.

CW

Why are we worried about this?  KC didn't gain a single yard after the fumble.

The Bills WON.  It's all irrelevant.

Mike

501633[/snapback]

You won't be saying that if CV gets suspended next week, will you? Or if someone had been injured during the last two minutes of the game?

Using your theory, we shouldn't criticize anything -- Lindell's miss, KH's poor play, etc -- because we won. You're not new around here, so you should know better :blink:

CW

It's not irrelevant. The Bills were lucky the defense still stymied the Chefs, who have the ability to score at any time. Say they scored a quick TD, recovered the onsides kick, and then scored another TD to win the game. It would have been the ballgame. They need to be smarter than this. Thankfully it didn't hurt them and hopefully they won't pull a stupid stunt like that again (and hopefully the reporters ask them at what point during the 2 minute warning did they all had a collective stroke and decided NOT to kneel-down).

Mike

501633[/snapback]

Except it's not. Decisions like this continue to happen. Too many times already they have cost us games and that filters down every fourth quarter. Thankfully we had a big enough cushion and Green was so shell shocked that couldn't take advantage.

There was NO reason to be running the ball with 2 minutes on the clock, a first down, an opponent with no timeouts, and a two score lead. Even Baron could do the math on that.

You won't be saying that if CV gets suspended next week, will you?  Or if someone had been injured during the last two minutes of the game?

Using your theory, we shouldn't criticize anything -- Lindell's miss, KH's poor play, etc -- because we won.  You're not new around here, so you should know better :blink:

CW

501634[/snapback]

Ah, good point regarding CV.

I think they ran the ball with two minutes remaining because they lose, at most 30-35 seconds with each kneel down.

Then it's fourth down with about 20 seconds left. Collective brain fart? Maybe. I'm simply saying that it ultimately didn't matter in the great and grand scheme, unless somebody gets suspended. Nobody got hurt, so all the better.

Since Lindell missed twice (I only saw the second one), I will criticize him for that. However, a win is a win, and we sorely needed this one. So, I'm happy with the final score.

Mike

Ah, good point regarding CV. 

I think they ran the ball with two minutes remaining because they lose, at most 30-35 seconds with each kneel down.

But they could've run 40 seconds off each play. Simply take a delay of game on each one and you get the full 40 seconds.

As you said, it didn't matter (I doubt CV will be suspended, but who knows). Still frustrating though.

CW

They should've kneeled, no doubt. But what no one is mentioning is McGahee's carlessness. He should have both hands wrapped around the ball in that situation. A little too non-chalant for my taste.

The other thing that irks me is that the booth upstairs didn't review it. On the one brief replay they showed, WM's knee looked very close to being down. I'm not saying that it was, but they should've looked at it.

They should've kneeled, no doubt.  But what no one is mentioning is McGahee's carlessness.  He should have both hands wrapped around the ball in that situation.  A little too non-chalant for my taste. 

The other thing that irks me is that the booth upstairs didn't review it.  On the one brief replay they showed, WM's knee looked very close to being down.  I'm not saying that it was, but they should've looked at it.

501686[/snapback]

Every play inside two minutes is reviewed.

It's not irrelevant.  The Bills were lucky the defense still stymied the Chefs, who have the ability to score at any time.  Say they scored a quick TD, recovered the onsides kick, and then scored another TD to win the game.  It would have been the ballgame.  They need to be smarter than this.  Thankfully it didn't hurt them and hopefully they won't pull a stupid stunt like that again (and hopefully the reporters ask them at what point during the 2 minute warning did they all had a collective stroke and decided NOT to kneel-down).

501636[/snapback]

Very true. KC could have won the game.They are very capable.

Every play inside two minutes is reviewed.

501689[/snapback]

I hope you say that with sarcasm. Remember we are dealing with the zebras here. Just didn't seem like they had enough time before the next snap to take a good look at it.

I hope you say that with sarcasm.  Remember we are dealing with the zebras here.  Just didn't seem like they had enough time before the next snap to take a good look at it.

501704[/snapback]

No, I'm sure they do it. I doubt there was enough visual information for them to overturn it.

The first down play was before the 2 min. warning I think. If I'm right about that then there wouldn't have been any way to kneel down and run down enough clock to keep K.C. from getting the ball back. It's easy to say "So what if K.C. gets the ball back they probably wouldn't have won anyway." Had they gotten the ball back and somehow pulled it off everyone would be calling MM & crew idiots for not realizing that they couldn't kill all of the clock by taking a knee and they'd ask "Why didn't we just run the ball?" It's truly a no-win situation with some people.