What's a Marine?

VABills

This may sound like an ignorant question, but what does Semper Fi mean? I've always wondered

500125[/snapback]

Semper Fidelis is a Latin motto translating to "always faithful". Semper Fi is just a short version of that.

http://www.mca-marines.org/leatherneck/faq.htm#SemperFi

When did the term "Semper Fi," an abbreviation of Semper Fidelis, come into being?

Although not exactly recorded in history, one story stands out.

Sometime shortly after the Beirut bombing in 1983, then–Commandant of the Marine Corps General Paul X. Kelley was visiting a wounded Marine in the hospital. The lad shook the Commandant's hand and then scribbled the words "Semper Fi" on a piece of paper. It was the Marine's way of saying "Semper Fidelis." Gen Kelley became emotional and said, "Lord, where do we get such men?" The press picked up on it.

After that the term "Semper Fi" was given new life and a new meaning among Marines. However, for older Marines, the term had a slightly different meaning. Today while one understands "Semper Fi" to be a Marine greeting, in the past. "Semper Fi, Mac" meant "I got mine, how you doing?"

Open note to both USMCBillsfan and Ned Flanders.... I'm "writing" this on Veterans Day and by any measure, this is HARDLY enough, but simply Thank You for your service and steadfast dedication while you are on Active Duty! I'm ex-USAF and really cannot comprehend what type of struggle you endure, day in and day out, so I hope I speak for others here when I extend that thanks to ALL the servicemen in harms way!

Open note to both USMCBillsfan and Ned Flanders.... I'm "writing" this on Veterans Day and by any measure, this is HARDLY enough, but simply Thank You for your service and steadfast dedication while you are on Active Duty! I'm ex-USAF and really cannot comprehend what type of struggle you endure, day in and day out, so I hope I speak for others here when I extend that thanks to ALL the servicemen in harms way!

500720[/snapback]

Thanks for the props, but I'm no longer on active duty....got out over 25 years ago.

All the credit and thanks go to those currently deployed...God speed.