Patriot WR "catches"

BRH

Not sure if this was mentioned elsewhere but did y'all catch the announcers muttering about Reggie Wayne's touchdown catch in the second quarter? "Oh, I don't know if that was a catch... you can see the ball still moving... he brings it in but where is he in relation to the end zone?... Oh I'm surprised that one didn't go upstairs..."

Christ. That was a catch, easy. And yet Al and John were practically begging Belichick to challenge it. Not like last week when the ESPN guys declared Branch's catch legal and showed all of one angle. I fell asleep in the second half, so I didn't see Troy Brown's "touchdown" live. Did the announcers express as much doubt about that one as they did about Wayne's? Did they express ANY doubt?

I was surprised Dungy didn't challenge it, but I guess he had enough confidence that his offense would score again to put the game away for good, and they did.

One other thing. It's obvious that ABC/ESPN took enough flak over The Tedy Bruschi (We're not worthy!) Show last week that they totally downplayed it this week, isn't it?

Not sure if this was mentioned elsewhere but did y'all catch the announcers muttering about Reggie Wayne's touchdown catch in the second quarter?  "Oh, I don't know if that was a catch... you can see the ball still moving... he brings it in but where is he in relation to the end zone?... Oh I'm surprised that one didn't go upstairs..."

Christ.  That was a catch, easy.  And yet Al and John were practically begging Belichick to challenge it.  Not like last week when the ESPN guys declared Branch's catch legal and showed all of one angle.  I fell asleep in the second half, so I didn't see Troy Brown's "touchdown" live.  Did the announcers express as much doubt about that one as they did about Wayne's?  Did they express ANY doubt?

I was surprised Dungy didn't challenge it, but I guess he had enough confidence that his offense would score again to put the game away for good, and they did.

One other thing.  It's obvious that ABC/ESPN took enough flak over The Tedy Bruschi (We're not worthy!) (We're not worthy!) (We're not worthy!) Show last week that they totally downplayed it this week, isn't it?

497532[/snapback]

After they came back from commercial, they showed a replay were the ball LOOKED like it hit the ground. They then showed Dungy have the flag in his hand,then put it back in his pocket. Also showed Dungy jawing at the refs. I think, and only think, he was pissed they got the ball spotted and the PA attempted so quick, that Dungy felt his guys upstairs just didn't have enough time to make a decision on whether to challange or not.

Now the thing that gets me is on the Wayne catch, must have had 6 differant angles shown on TV. On the Brown catch, one angle only, until after the PA, and then go to commercial, and then we get to see all the differant angles. I must confess I do not know what the guys upstairs see as far as replays, but if they seeing the same thing as we are, that seems kinda unfair,.

But give credit to NE for no excessive celebration, and lining up quick before a challange could be issued. This is something MM is starting to learn, as after the Brady fumble last week he had the offence on the field and ran a play in about 20 seconds. Good caoches know to get that next play off quick, and I think MM is catching on.

Dungy could've taken a time out.

497576[/snapback]

May as well just throw the flag then.

Who else was about to explode when on the fumble they said down by contact. Now they got the right call, but at first I was about to start believing in all the conspiracy theories out there.

Who else was about to explode when on the fumble they said down by contact. Now they got the right call, but at first I was about to start believing in all the conspiracy theories out there.

497583[/snapback]

Exactly -- if he takes a timeout and loses the challenge, he burns two timeouts right there, doesn't he?

I was ready to go off too when they said "down by contact" and the announcers added that it wasn't reviewable. Took the refs long enough to get together and make the right call.

497583[/snapback]

I did....I even heard my wife yell "Bullschitt" from upstairs... :o

497583[/snapback]

I don't understand why in that situation you wouldn't challenge the call if you have any suspicion that it was not a catch. They're trying to halt any possibility of a come back and TOs are pretty meaningless to the Colts at that stage of the game. Dungy shouldn't have waited once he saw the Pats hurrying to kick the PAT.

I don't understand why in that situation you wouldn't challenge the call if you have any suspicion that it was not a catch.  They're trying to halt any possibility of a come back and TOs are pretty meaningless to the Colts at that stage of the game.  Dungy shouldn't have waited once he saw the Pats hurrying to kick the PAT.

497611[/snapback]

Yep. This past Sunday at Baltimore, the B'gals hurried up a PAT after a td catch by rookie wr Chris Henry. Billichek took notice, tossed the red flag, and the td was wiped out.

I don't understand why in that situation you wouldn't challenge the call if you have any suspicion that it was not a catch.  They're trying to halt any possibility of a come back and TOs are pretty meaningless to the Colts at that stage of the game.  Dungy shouldn't have waited once he saw the Pats hurrying to kick the PAT.

497611[/snapback]

1. It was the Pats.

2. It was in New Bruschi (We're not worthy!).

Seems pretty clear to me why Dungy wouldn't challenge unless he had rock solid reason to do so, and even THEN it would be a risk. :devil:

1.  It was the Pats.

2.  It was in New Bruschi (We're not worthy!) (We're not worthy!).

Seems pretty clear to me why Dungy wouldn't challenge unless he had rock solid reason to do so, and even THEN it would be a risk.  :devil:

497920[/snapback]

Dungy also has one of the worst replay records in the league, I believe. Maybe he's getting gun-shy.