Guess the length of Teflon's Reign of Terror!

My best guess would be 10. Here's why:

Ralph has essentially given Teflon a full 6 years with that 1-year contract extension of his in the offseason. But KH will be playing this 2005 season up until the final 2-3 weeks or so when the Bills are likely to be mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, thus leaving JP with an insufficient amount of game experience for next season. So basically, Teflon will get a mulligan for the 6th year because of JP's "rookieness."

But now the end of the 2006 season (Teflon's 6th) is when a bunch of veteran starting players have their contracts run out, especially on defense (Adams, Fletcher, Milloy, Kelsay, Posey). And this, my friends, is Teflon's excuse for Year 7 being a failure - too many key players gone and not enough time for any of the new players to develop proper team "chemistry."

By the end of the 8th year, Mularkey and Co. (Clements and Gray) will get the blame for failing to develop a team that can make the playoffs. So Teflon will again shift blame to the old coaching staff (a la Year 3's conclusion with Greggggo) and hire a new one, thereby regenerating a tried and true excuse for sucking in Year 9 (a rookie coaching staff).

By the end of Teflon's 10th year, I think Ralph Wilson will finally realize that something has been tasting funky with the Banana Rasberry Kool-Aid that Teflon keeps serving him. I'm not quite sure why I think the Reign of Terror will end after Year 10, as opposed to 11 or 12 or more. Maybe it's something about the number 10, which represents a full decade gone by, that will start RW thinking, "Stevestojan! This has gone on way too long!"

So that's my best guess :blink: . Tell me yours!

P.S. If I were Ralph Wilson and had my way, Teflon would be fired at the end of this current season if the team doesn't make the playoffs. After Drew was cut last year, Teflon stated that this team could already take the next step with JP. And when that proved to be untrue, KH was promoted instead of letting JP get more game reps because we were told that the rest of this team could compete NOW for the playoffs. And if they don't make the playoffs this season, that would be 3 straight years running in Teflon's tenure where we were told we could compete NOW and didn't. So there.

Guest BackInDaDay

"After Drew was cut last year, Teflon stated that this team could already take the next step with JP. "

Who benefits the most, financially, from off-season deceptions?

"And when that proved to be untrue, KH was promoted instead of letting JP get more game reps because we were told that the rest of this team could compete NOW for the playoffs. And if they don't make the playoffs this season, that would be 3 straight years running in Teflon's tenure where we were told we could compete NOW and didn't."

Who benefits the most, financially, from a continued interest in the Bills' 2005 campaign?

My best guess would be 10. Here's why:

Ralph has essentially given Teflon a full 6 years with that 1-year contract extension of his in the offseason. But KH will be playing this 2005 season up until the final 2-3 weeks or so when the Bills are likely to be mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, thus leaving JP with an insufficient amount of game experience for next season. So basically, Teflon will get a mulligan for the 6th year because of JP's "rookieness."

But now the end of the 2006 season (Teflon's 6th) is when a bunch of veteran starting players have their contracts run out, especially on defense (Adams, Fletcher, Milloy, Kelsay, Posey). And this, my friends, is Teflon's excuse for Year 7 being a failure - too many key players gone and not enough time for any of the new players to develop proper team "chemistry."

By the end of the 8th year, Mularkey and Co. (Clements and Gray) will get the blame for failing to develop a team that can make the playoffs. So Teflon will again shift blame to the old coaching staff (a la Year 3's conclusion with Greggggo) and hire a new one, thereby regenerating a tried and true excuse for sucking in Year 9 (a rookie coaching staff).

By the end of Teflon's 10th year, I think Ralph Wilson will finally realize that something has been tasting funky with the Banana Rasberry Kool-Aid that Teflon keeps serving him. I'm not quite sure why I think the Reign of Terror will end after Year 10, as opposed to 11 or 12 or more. Maybe it's something about the number 10, which represents a full decade gone by, that will start RW thinking, "Stevestojan! This has gone on way too long!"

So that's my best guess  :blink: . Tell me yours!

P.S. If I were Ralph Wilson and had my way, Teflon would be fired at the end of this current season if the team doesn't make the playoffs. After Drew was cut last year, Teflon stated that this team could already take the next step with JP. And when that proved to be untrue, KH was promoted instead of letting JP get more game reps because we were told that the rest of this team could compete NOW for the playoffs. And if they don't make the playoffs this season, that would be 3 straight years running in Teflon's tenure where we were told we could compete NOW and didn't. So there.

494626[/snapback]

I think that Ralph is incapable of making a well-informed decision on 'his' team, anymore. I suspect that he is being led around by his nose by somebody, the chief suspect being TD himself.

It's called getting old. Throw in a dollup of Alzheimers and a little less mental agility each year and you have Ralph Wilson, 2005 edition. Who is going to advise Ralph that TD is poison to the Bills SB hopes? IMO, Ralph is at the point of not caring any longer...just fill up the stadium for each home game or some facsimile thereof and leave him alone.

I sure hope you're right!

494832[/snapback]

You do? You mean there are still people on this board who support TD? That's a nice surprise!

You do? You mean there are still people on this board who support TD? That's a nice surprise!

494835[/snapback]

Too many people buy into the mentality that change is good for the sake of change, and will make things better. Stability makes things better- high draft picks makes things better- look at Cincy, Baltimore, and St. Louis.

To the people who just want more change? Go back and watch more MTV and reality TV- I'm sure you'll find it more entertaining than I will- I'll go watch the history channel- don't switch from MTV though, you might learn something.

Too many people buy into the mentality that change is good for the sake of change, and will make things better. Stability makes things better- high draft picks makes things better- look at Cincy, Baltimore, and St. Louis.

To the people who just want more change? Go back and watch more MTV and reality TV- I'm sure you'll find it more entertaining than I will- I'll go watch the history channel- don't switch from MTV though, you might learn something.

494837[/snapback]

Right on, brotha! I love having TD here.....I'm as frustrated with our failure to get into the playoffs as anyone else, but we're better off with TD than we are without him. The guy will get it done.

Guest BackInDaDay

494837[/snapback]

I am in total agreement about how the advantages of a stable organization.

Is that what TD has brought to this team? Think about it.

As a matter of fact, RW doesn't seem to be high on stability either.

He's hired 15 coaches in 44 years. Levy was here for 11. That means 14 coaches in 33 years! Is it any wonder the team has lost more game than they've won since it's conception? (322 wins; 346 losses; 8 ties; winning % - .482 :blink: )

Guest BackInDaDay
TD will move upstairs and hire his replacement.

494897[/snapback]

TD is the President/General Manager.

Next stop is Chairman - Ralph Wilson is the Chairman. :blink:

494837[/snapback]

Stability is usually better, but not if that which is stable happens to also be incompetent. And change for the sake of change is almost always bad, but well-calculated, carefully planned change can be good. Very good.

TD has given us some solid players at the skill positions, but soon it may be time to find a new GM with different opinions and talents and strategies that will help us jump over our current playoff hurdle - and hopefully beyond.

More specifically, I'm looking for a GM-to-be (a proven, reputable ex-GM or scout or maybe even coach or player) who has a unique eye for linemen talent and can finally deliver the run-the-ball, stop-the-run, never-give-up, take-no-prisoners identity that this Bills team has been sorely lacking since the Polian Era. Oh, and speaking of Bill Polian, how did he come to be as Buffalo GM? :blink:

Also, for what it's worth, I think 5 years is more than enough time to prove competence as a GM in today's NFL. If that makes me a reality TV-watching, MTV-watching, Hot Pocket-eating, generally impatient person in your eyes, then so be it.

494837[/snapback]

TD has brought in some good free agents (Adams, Blesoe, Spikes, Milloy, etc.). I am impressed that he was able to extend Schobel and MaGee. Getting rid of Travis for a 3rd was a work of art, and he deserves a daily round of applause for doing so.

As for the draft, he has done a less than average job, and I am being kind. Most of his early picks have been small "skill" players, and a majority of them are/were injured. When he did "large size," he did so to the tune of a fat 38 million dollar clunker with a chronic ankle problem.

The Losman fiasco might at some point work itself out (I wouldn't bet on it), but at this point JP has been here for 1 1/2 seasons (at a hefty cost of much needed picks) and has obviously (to those who want to be honest) shifted the gears of the Buffalo Bills Football Team to reverse. Remember, JP was the player that TD said was ready to take us to the playoffs. Sadly, the biggest asset of JP up to now is that he is probably the best "high five" giver in professional sports. Great.

As a Bills fan, I no longer have faith in the ability nor even the motive of TD. It seems that all fans and sportswriters know what the Bills need to take it to the next (playoff) level. The needs are that obvious. TD seems more intent on selling tickets.

On Draft Day 06, I am expecting another WR or running back with our almost certain early first selection. If he does opt for a blocker or 2, he will probably once again pick the garbage of another losing football team and ask Coach McNally to cast a spell on them.

At some point, TD must be held accountable for the mess that he has provided for the MM and the Bills fans. I think that a fair scenario would be to start his wonderboy, JP. If he continues to be a failure, TD should be shown the door.

Look at the draft and W/L record of TD. You too might learn something.

Too many people buy into the mentality that change is good for the sake of change

494837[/snapback]

That might be true, but I look at it from this angle: Based on the teams performance on the field, how can we justify seeing TD STAY in Buffalo when other GM's that have had better results then TD over the years have been fired?

That might be true, but I look at it from this angle:  Based on the teams performance on the field, how can we justify seeing TD STAY in Buffalo when other GM's that have had better results then TD over the years have been fired?

494965[/snapback]

That doesn't mean that the other owners are smart in making those moves