The Bills have nobody to blame

This didn't come down to officiating or schedule making or any other outside influences. This loss came down to piss poor coaching and crucial decision making blunders in key situations.

The Bills dominated the Patriots early on and should have been up a lot more than 3-0 at half. They came out and gave up a TD early on in the second half but rebounded quickly which has not been this team's modus operandi. They continued to control the game by dominating in the trenches on offense and pounding the Pats defense. Could we actually be better prepared than the Pats? Could we actually do the unthinkable and upset the Pats at the Razor and take sole possession of first place? These were questions running through most of the minds of the Bills fandom...and then the wheels came off the wagon and the pipe dream ended.

In the fourth quarter where championships are won and good teams thrive the Bills fell apart completely. Their coaching staff couldn't call a quality set of plays to save their life and their "calming influence" at quarterback couldn't make a good decision to save his life. Kelly Holcomb threw an INT to Assante Samuel when he was blanketing Eric Moulds. The Bills recovered and remained in the game. The Bills still had the lead 16-14 and the ball. Willis was dominating and this drive was going to be the crown jewel in the hat of Willis' night because surely he would be called upon to chew up the clock. Then in the second play holy sh-- Holcomb drops back to pass gets pummeled and fumbles after Gandy turnstile blocks Roosevelt Colvin. While Gandy missed the block the Bills should have never had the possibility of the QB fumbling because any intelligent coaching staff with a top shelf RB having a great game would have ran the friggin football.

Finally the Bills got one last shot and were moving the ball effectively once again and maybe just maybe pull a game winning drive over on Marcia Brady and his merry men. But alas, Kelly Holcomb finds Eric Moulds 6 feet down the field when the Bills were 4th and 7. I must ask why any one receiver should run a route one third of the yardage that was needed on a 4th down and the last shot to probably save a season? This is a supreme example of poor coaching which leads directly to poor execution which leads inevitably to losses. Donahoe you haven't improved any facet of this team one iota in the last 5 years. Mike Mularkey is way over his head as a head coach, and Tom Clements can't STICK with a good game plan to save his life. All that being said, my ass will be back on the couch in 2 weeks hopefully watching JP Losman learning to be an NFL QB, but with the past transgressions of this organization we may see Shane Matthews get a shot because of "his veteran leadership and decision making abilities."

Go Bills,

Dave

This didn't come down to officiating or schedule making or any other outside influences. This loss came down to piss poor coaching and crucial decision making blunders in key situations.

The Bills dominated the Patriots early on and should have been up a lot more than 3-0 at half. They came out and gave up a TD early on in the second half but rebounded quickly which has not been this team's modus operandi.  They continued to control the game by dominating in the trenches on offense and pounding the Pats defense. Could we actually be better prepared than the Pats? Could we actually do the unthinkable and upset the Pats at the Razor and take sole possession of first place? These were questions running through most of the minds of the Bills fandom...and then the wheels came off the wagon and the pipe dream ended.

In the fourth quarter where championships are won and good teams thrive the Bills fell apart completely. Their coaching staff couldn't call a quality set of plays to save their life and their "calming influence" at quarterback couldn't make a good decision to save his life. Kelly Holcomb threw an INT to Assante Samuel when he was blanketing Eric Moulds. The Bills recovered and remained in the game. The Bills still had the lead 16-14 and the ball. Willis was dominating and this drive was going to be the crown jewel in the hat of Willis' night because surely he would be called upon to chew up the clock. Then in the second play holy sh-- Holcomb drops back to pass gets pummeled and fumbles after Gandy turnstile blocks Roosevelt Colvin. While Gandy missed the block the Bills should have never had the possibility of the QB fumbling because any intelligent coaching staff with a top shelf RB having a great game would have ran the friggin football.

Finally the Bills got one last shot and were moving the ball effectively once again and maybe just maybe pull a game winning drive over on Marcia Brady and his merry men. But alas, Kelly Holcomb finds Eric Moulds 6 feet down the field when the Bills were 4th and 7.  I must ask why any one receiver should run a route one third of the yardage that was needed on a 4th down and the last shot to probably save a season?  This is a supreme example of poor coaching which leads directly to poor execution which leads inevitably to losses. Donahoe you haven't improved any facet of this team one iota in the last 5 years. Mike Mularkey is way over his head as a head coach, and Tom Clements can't STICK with a good game plan to save his life.  All that being said, my ass will be back on the couch in 2 weeks hopefully watching JP Losman learning to be an NFL QB, but with the past transgressions of this organization we may see Shane Matthews get a shot because of "his veteran leadership and decision making abilities."

Go Bills,

Dave

491332[/snapback]

Well said Dave..

PS--dont do it...put down that bottle...i mean that remote....and go fishing or something 2 sundays from now..

Good post - I haven't been on the playcalling-bashing bandwagon this year but tonight it was bad. I mean, against Atlanta you kinda had to hurry down by 8 with 6 minutes left IMO because 2 pt conversions are not sure things and you want to give yourself 2 possessions/opportunities to score if possible.

But this game was just a mess. For one thing, it's a 5 pt game so all you need is 1 score. Secondly, you don't want to leave NE any time. You don't need timeouts and sideline routes to travel 39 yards in 3 minutes. Keep feeding Willis the rock.

As I've said before and probably will say again, this game was up to the offense to win when the score was 16-7. You just knew that NE was going to score twice somehow some way no matter what, so they needed 1 more score to win it - Holcomb & co. just didn't get it done.

Actually.....I thought they played quite well for most of the game.  :angry:

491420[/snapback]

I agree. I think they played pretty good. The play calling was sketchy during stretches but they were committed to run for most of the game. I would like to hear Mularkey's explanation of the 4th down play and why some recievers were running such shallow routes when you needed 7 yards. I guess that play just summerizes Buffalo's year so far.

I do think that New England is not going to return to the Super Bowl. There secondary is absolutely horrible and they cannot stop the run. I hope Indy waxes them next weekend.

They ran alot of promos on Ted Bruschi last. What was that all about?

Went to Paul McCartney concert. Got home home around 11:30pm. Watched Bills game on Tivo. Dominated time of posssession. Went to bed stunned. I really thought we were going to be blown out but hey!! We were winning. What a disappointment. Oh well. What a surprise. The Bills a disappointment. Naw....

Actually.....I thought they played quite well for most of the game.  :angry:

491420[/snapback]

I thought it was fairly clear I was talking about coaching, woman.

Seriously, why go thru all that effort to quote that one little sentence and cut everything else out?