Let's play "You're Tom Donahoe"

Do you trade/draft to strengthen the offensive, or bolster the defense? (It's a given that you have to deal with "both," so that's not an option in this poll. What would be your ultimate priority?)  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Do you trade/draft to strengthen the offensive, or bolster the defense? (It's a given that you have to deal with "both," so that's not an option in this poll. What would be your ultimate priority?)

• Pump up the offense; I want to be in the top 5.
    • Defense wins Super Bowls--let's start with a better run D.
    • I'd rather stick a pen in my eye than have that job!

I am a huge draftnik and I agree!  Always draft for value!

482369[/snapback]

There are a lot of things to consider when going into the draft:

1) Need

2) Best available

3) Depth

4) Free Agency

5) Contracts coming due.

6) Available money.

So the person in charge of the draft has to know a lot about each of these situations. For the Bills, Mondark is supposedly in charge of the draft. This suggests that Mondrak be ON THE SAME PAGE with Donahoe, the financials and contracts; as well as, with Mularkey for the needs.

The questions here are:

1) Does Mularkey understand the defensive needs and depth???

2) Does TD fully understand how he plans to sustain the Bills in the future???

In my opinion, the lines are where games are won/lost; teams become successful/unsuccessful. It appears the Bills have band-aided the o-line for most of TD's reign. It was demonstrated early this season, the o-line has little depth, and shows lack of chemstry. The d-line is adaquate, but with depth problems.

The big requirements for the trenches is consistancy, continuity, chemistry, and leadership. With the constant addition of band-aides, how can these requirements be met???

At the end of this season, of our 4 CBs on the active roster, 3 will either be UFA (Clements) or RFAs(McGee and Greer). Of our safeties, only one will be a RFA (Baker). Of our depth at LB, all three will be RFAs or UFAs.

At the end of next season: two starting LBs (Fletcher, Posey), two starting d-linemen (Adams, Kelsey), and our starting SS (Milloy), will become UFAs.

This is a lot of needs in the next two years, AND this is only the defense. I would immagine that this front office will start drafting for need and mostly on defense; but we also need players to develop and building chemistry on the o-line.

It will prove to be an interesting next few drafts. There will be a lot of NEEDS.

With Parrish and Everett healthy and on the field I'm not too worried about the offense because I'm not as concerned about JP as others might be. I still feel like he can be an NFL QB and be successfull. My worries on offense continue to be on the offensive line.

I think the main priority on defense has got to be to re-sign Clements or we're going to forced to use another 1st round pick on a CB rather than a stud DT (Rodrique Wright of Texas?) or a FS or SS which would allow us to jettison a huge chunk of capspace and get younger in the secondary.

draft oline, draft dline, draft oline, draft dline, draft oline, draft dline- not neccesarily in that order.  And oh yeah- SIGN Clements AND Mcgee!

482295[/snapback]

Could not have said it better. Forget about the skill positions for once and go O-line and D-line in first 4 rds regardless of TD's "best available"