Is there any player available?

The_Real

I don't know if anyone is available that could possibily help. If KH holds up and we can play better run defense I see no reason why we couldn't win the East. NE isn't NE and the rest of the division is sub par.

Is there anyone available?

TR

it's doubtful that any one player will be available that fits this bill, because our problems stopping the run do not seem to be linked consistently to poor play by any one player but due to the failure of several and multiple players on the D failing to implement our system properly.

On the Martin long runs for example, they occured because of a failure by the DL (particularly the DTs) to stop him at the line, AND then the LBs were locked up and (particularly Crowell on one play), AND the secondary was taken out of of the play (Milloy was locked up and overran the POA and Clements was sent inside or lined up too far in).

One could replace any one player and not only would he need to play better than the talent we have, AND he would need to be able to learn and pick-up our system better than a player who has played in it all season but it still likely would only make a marginal difference because the key to the TEAM stopping the run is all players need to do their jobs together.

Just as it is clearly the case that moving from Spikes to Crowell is a definite downgrade in talent any way you cut it, this move made little difference in production because folks like Cadillac Wiiliams or Warwick Dunn and Michael Vick were picking up big or critical yardage against the D with Spikes playing,

The better or more likely answer is that the D will oerform better against the run if the players played better together. The irony here is that they seem to have such chemistry issues when 10 of 11 players were back.

I'd point to these factors as reasons why there is hope:

1. Despite PW quite often being replaced last year on many snaps (he took less than 2/3 of the snaps) players overcompensated for DL play and changes. I think this problem has gotten worse because they have even less confidence in Anderson than in a fulltime Edwards. Anderson ringing up a sack Sunday may help alot and if this team shuts down Lamont Jordan (a real possibility if Moss is not there to distract us) the confidence level will improve.

2. The injury to Spikes did not help (even though Cadillac running over him and plays like the one where Vick exploited the fact Spikes had his back turned to the line directing traffic and Vick hit a hot receiver running through Spikes area were indication of tough times with the run even with better players in) but the good news is that Crowell is getting better with experience and produced in ways that show up on the stat sheet (an INT and a sack) that may give him the confidence to not second guess himself and to demonstrate a will to win.

3. Milloy is older but at least the hand is healing slowly so perhaps he can be more effective. The bad game Clements had on Sunday perhaps will get him to play within his considerable talent rather than trying to do to much in his FA year. However, one of Clements strengths is his arrogance though and I doubt that even with the proof of needless PI call on him or his getting caught too far inside on a long run that this will get him to control his game and not make the requsite one bad play (trying to INT Smith last year instead of simply knocking the ball down or leaving a PR on the carpet against Pitts.

There is more good than bad with Clements so I think we simply take the little bad with a lot of good from him.

We should get that run stoping dt in the draft this year Gabe Watson out of Michigan.  Or Rodrigue Wright from texas, but from a pure clog the hole run stopper standpoint better off drafting Watson.  Wright is more of a corey simon interior pass rush type.

480156[/snapback]

We will be picking a Left Tackle in the 1st round in the next draft

480317[/snapback]

i sure hope so.......draft is loaded with good LT prospects, with as many as 6 or 7 possible first rounders.......however, i don't have quite the same faith that you do in that the bills will actually fill this obvious need.......

of the LT prospects likely around when the bills pick, who do you like?

480317[/snapback]

Yeah, then he'll be another offensive lineman hogging too much of our cap, ala our other first round OT . . . what a horrendous #4 overall pick fat Mike has turned out to be. #4 overalls should be in Pro Bowls by this time.

Yeah, then he'll be another offensive lineman hogging too much of our cap, ala our other first round OT . . . what a horrendous #4 overall pick fat Mike has turned out to be. #4 overalls should be in Pro Bowls by this time.

480327[/snapback]

Oh, for the #4 overall's of the nineties again. I don't know how this happened:

2005: Cedric Benson

2004: Philip Rivers

2003: Dewayne Robertson

2002: Big Mike

2001: Justin Smith

2000: Peter Warrick

1999: Edgerrin James

1998: Charles Woodson

1997: Peter Boulware

1996: Jonathan Ogden

Four straight superstars (Boulware, in his day) and then the well went dry. Best of the 2000-2005 group in Justin Smith, and he's basically Aaron Schobel.

Oh, for the #4 overall's of the nineties again.  I don't know how this happened:

2005: Cedric Benson

2004: Philip Rivers

2003: Dewayne Robertson

2002: Big Mike

2001: Justin Smith

2000: Peter Warrick

1999: Edgerrin James

1998: Charles Woodson

1997: Peter Boulware

1996: Jonathan Ogden

Four straight superstars (Boulware, in his day) and then the well went dry.  Best of the 2000-2005 group in Justin Smith, and he's basically Aaron Schobel.

480369[/snapback]

I think Robertson is universally considered to have raised the level of his game after a pretty slow start, and Rivers and Benson haven't shown much if anything, good or bad yet. They are going to have their time, and I don't think they can quite be judged yet. I'd put Robertson, Smith and Big Mike about equal at this point, adequate starters that have been moderate disappointments given their lofty draft position. Who knows, maybe Warrick will make the connection with some QB late in his career and finally display his talent.

I think Robertson is universally considered to have raised the level of his game after a pretty slow start, and Rivers and Benson haven't shown much if anything, good or bad yet.  They are going to have their time, and I don't think they can quite be judged yet.  I'd put Robertson, Smith and Big Mike about equal at this point, adequate starters that have been moderate disappointments given their lofty draft position.  Who knows, maybe Warrick will make the connection with some QB late in his career and finally display his talent.

480374[/snapback]

Yeah he raised his level a little bit but I think that the Jets were ceertainly expecting alot more. I remember when he was coming out all the experts were deeming him the next Warren Sapp. Hmmmmm, not yet.

480327[/snapback]

Need still rules the roost though the Bills have done better going for the best player available rather than stick strictly to need with their first choice (ironically the pick of MW at #4 probably deviated from this "rule" and the oick has disappointed) so its hard to say right now who they will pick.

If anything, the TD MO has been to recognize that few early picks and even first rounders are worth what that slot is going to pay and the drag this pick will put on the team.

In the past he has used our first rounder to:

2001- Trade down with a great result as we still got the 1st CB drafted and he has made the Pro Bowl.

2002- Used our first rounder to fill a definite OL need with disappointing results.

2003- He traded this first rounder for Bledsoe who provided great value for nothing with his 2002 Pro Bowl reserve performance (though he made this good a wash with his stinky 2003 performance), however, he managed to again create somethng from nothing by getting a 1st rounder for tagging PP and again manipulated using this pick for both value on and off the field by getting the injured WM who rehabbed to be a top 5 talent picked up with a #18 pick. Add o this that TD addressed a clear DL need by reading the market incredibly well so the run DL players allowed him to get Kelsay anyway with our #2.

2004- He made a good need filling choice for Evans who has been developed into a productive Pro. He again turned something into nothing as he traded the 2005 #1 for JP who needed to develop (and unfortunately still does).

2005- I'd label this a need pick because we needed a QB if we were gonna get ridda DB andits pretty clear that even with the poor performance of JP he is at the level of tge other poor performing QBs who were abaliable in the 2005 draft.

Despite the non factual claims of those who want to believe the Bills refuse to devote significant draft resources to the OL, the Bills problem has been making choices who have not worked out rather than not being willing to draft OL players.

The facts are these:

2001- In Jennings and Sullivan the Bills started with 7 picks which they increased to 12 but used to get two OL players who eventually started one of whom they spent a valuable 1st day choice on.

2002- Again they felt OL was important enough to acquire 2 players using the 7 picks they started out with. Again OL was deemed a high priority as the bad season the year before allowed them to spend a #4. There was a clear consensus that the two mostly highly rated LT prospects were MW and Bryant McKinnie. Though lower ranked LT Levi Jones has turned out to be a better choice few argue the Bills picked the wrong guy between the two lead choices. They may be faulted for not trading down but who knows for sure what deals were offered or not offered for this pick, Once again the Bills can be faulted for MW and later pick Pacillo not working out, but they did get two starters from these two picks and no one can credibly argue they do not value the OL, they can only argue correctly that hiring GW and allowing him to hire Vinky and Ruel was a bad move.

2003- Once again the Bills valued OL over the numerous other position they could have drafted and took Sobieski. he was seen as one of the most talented OL players in the draft though he had clear injury issues. This "long-ball" strategy was actually a pretty reasonable one given that the Bills were coming off a surprisingly productive O performance that saw Bledsoe, Moulds and Henry all make the Pro Bowl and PP fail to make it with 94 catches. Sobieski did not pull off the rehab of fellow draftee McGahee and is a failed pick, but again it makes little sense for someone to claim the Bills have no focus, commitment or plan on OL, simply that fairly reasonable moves have not worked out.

2004- Yet again the Bills devote one of their precious draft picks to the OL picking McFarland (and once again the player failed to perform as he was cut this year). However, the biggest Bills OL improvement was to move beyond the Vinky Ruel debacle to acquire JMac as OL coach. As JMac himself says he is no miracle worker and our problem is the OL needs a miracle to perform adequately. The good news for Bills fans is that virtualy a miracle came to pass as JMac cut the failed Pacillo and somehow got a somewhat credible starting performance out of a Ravens PS player Smith. Even more miraculous he inherited from the Vinky/Ruel mismanaged crew a MW who went even more toward bust status by understandably being shaken when his Grammy who raised him died, but unfortunately he dealt with this loss in an unprofessional manner. JMac engineered the replacement of Ruben Brown with Villarial, ran a good cop/bad cop development game on MW and squoze some good pass coverage out of Smith, found away to deal with his redzone failings with good use of Bannan and Adams and had WM's prescense revive the run game. I think JMac did a phenomenal job last year.

2005- JMac has disappointed us by the OL not getting continued growth in OL production. In fact, despite having a huge number of horses to work with it is pretty arguable to this point that the OL has taken a step back. Nevertheless, again the Bills showed that in the draft OL is a top priority as once again they used the 6 picks they had to acquire two OL players. One of those two, Preston is actually a well-regarded sub on this team and a starter for Villarial when he went down.

The bottomline is that it is clearly demonstrated by real world events that OL is top priority for the Bills (If you disagree then who would you have passed on taking Clements, McGahee, Evans or Losman and if you did what OL player would you have taken instead). Second, though the Bills efforts at making this priority commitment have failed to date, their attempts were not unreasonable one to try make wiork (if you disagree with the MW pick would you have gone for McKinnie instead or do you advocate trading down in some 20/20 hindsight woulda/coulda/shoulda kind of way).

The complaining about the Bills OL is really reduced to meaningless whining unless the complainer says fairly specifically what they would have done differently that would have been realistic, forseeable and would have worked.

I don't know if anyone is available that could possibily help.  If KH holds up and we can play better run defense I see no reason why we couldn't win the East.  NE isn't NE and the rest of the division is sub par. 

Is there anyone available?

TR

479881[/snapback]

Corey Simon.

Oh wait, the Bills passed on him because he was fat and out of shape.

Boy, and how the Colt's D has sucked since they got him!