Benching JP will help him

el Tigre

It seems like everyone thinks benching jp means the coaching staff is giving up on him. I disagree. Letting the kid sit and watch for a while can be part of his development. The bengals did a similar thing with palmer/kitna. I talked to a former nfl player on a local talk show this week about this subject. He said,and i agreed,that jp's confidence is probably shaken and he looks confused and that the best thing for him is to sit for a little while. I don't think this means mularkey is abandoning the long term plan for jp.I think jp will be back starting in a few weeks and be better for this experience.

It seems like everyone thinks benching jp means the coaching staff is giving up on him. I disagree. Letting the kid sit and watch for a while can be part of his development. The bengals did a similar thing with palmer/kitna. I talked to a former nfl player on a local talk show this week about this subject. He said,and i agreed,that jp's confidence is probably shaken and he looks confused and that the best thing for him is to sit for a little while. I don't think this means mularkey is abandoning the long term plan for jp.I think jp will be back starting in a few weeks and be better for this experience.

467449[/snapback]

I just think he should have gotten a chance to play Miami at home. Bench him after the first quarter if things don't go well. I mean, looking at the schedule, we've got the Pats and the Bengals and lots of good teams we need to face, why not bench him later for those tougher games? This is one of the easiest left (not that it will be easy either, just in comparison). We're going to put him back in to get chewed out by a world champion team?

467449[/snapback]

Palmer sat his rookie year, and then started in '04. He was 1 and 4 to start and was handing out interceptions like a Hare Krishna handing out cookie balls, but they stayed with him.

Palmer sat his rookie year, and then started in '04.  He was 1 and 4 to start and was handing out interceptions like a Hare Krishna handing out cookie balls, but they stayed with him.

467472[/snapback]

I thought palmer was pulled at some point and kitna went in for a stretch.I guess i'm mistaken on that,but it doesn't change my overall opinion that this is just part of jp's learning experience.Especially with the o-line we have,letting the kid sit and watch for a bit shouldn't hurt him.

Palmer sat his rookie year, and then started in '04.  He was 1 and 4 to start and was handing out interceptions like a Hare Krishna handing out cookie balls, but they stayed with him.

467472[/snapback]

It's called BALLS and marvin has them all we have are wet fingers high into the wind trying to see which way the wind is blowing today ...........so if its raining cats and dogs sunday the wind is blowing and KH goes 8 for 20 with a TD and 2 int's and the bills win 13 to 6 is KH considered a hero and jp dirt ????????Me thinks that there maybe an insurrection going on at OBD led by the greatest team player in bills history mister E MOULDS??????????I always jump before I catch the pass EMOULDS.........

It's called BALLS and marvin has them all we have are wet fingers high into the wind trying to see which way the wind is blowing today ...........so if its raining cats and dogs sunday the wind is blowing and KH goes 8 for 20 with a TD and 2 int's and the bills win 13 to 6 is KH considered a hero and jp dirt ????????Me thinks that there maybe an insurrection going on at OBD led by the greatest team player in bills history mister E MOULDS??????????I always jump before I catch the pass EMOULDS.........

467506[/snapback]

Wait, who catches the TD?

I thought palmer was pulled at some point and kitna went in for a stretch.I guess i'm mistaken on that,but it doesn't change my overall opinion that this is just part of jp's learning experience.Especially with the o-line we have,letting the kid sit and watch for a bit shouldn't hurt him.

467499[/snapback]

No, Palmer was injured in game 13 (knee strain by NE's Richard Seymour - clean hit), so Kitna finished up the season.

I'd keep JP in, but there are good arguments either way. Seems to be one of those six of one, half a dozen of the other, things.

No, Palmer was injured in game 13 (knee strain by NE's Richard Seymour - clean hit), so Kitna finished up the season.

I'd keep JP in, but there are good arguments either way. Seems to be one of those six of one, half a dozen of the other, things.

467549[/snapback]

I wouldn't. I think Losman should be traded to New Orleans for Donte Stallworth. And a first round pick in '07. That's not too much to ask for.

If JP is so mentally fragile that he somehow is scarred and cannot "recover" from being replaced by Holcomb, JP doesn't have a snowball's chance in a very hot place of being a decent starting QB in the NFL. I see very little actual downside to starting Holcomb. Worst case, Holcomb does nothing and everyone knows that the Bills are doomed this year. Best case, Holcomb gets injured in the 3rd qtr with the game tied 14-14. JP comes in throws a TD and the Bills win 20-17. (Lindell missed the extra point when Peters muffed the hold.)

I don't know if benching him benefits him, but it may very well benefit the team right now. There's valid feeling on the whole team that there is no margin for error because if everyone doesn't do their job (except for JP) then we're going to put JP in a tight spot... and JP can't get us out of any spot right now, let alone a tight spot. When you get into that frame of mind you tend to play "not to lose" rather than playing to win.

Some brilliant mind at OBD was sure that the defense and the offensive players surrounding one JP Losman were so great that there was no question that plugging JP right in was no problem. Well, guess what? The next time OBD does another player/team talent evaluation like that, how about they include scouts from about 10 or 12 other NFL teams. Definitely better info than what's coming from inside the organization.

I wouldn't.  I think Losman should be traded to New Orleans for Donte Stallworth.  And a first round pick in '07.  That's not too much to ask for.

467555[/snapback]

A few days ago, I called up nfl.com's draft history section to remind myself what the Bills passed up in their 3 -year in a row skilled player binge.

Ugly.

A few days ago, I called up nfl.com's draft history section to remind myself what the Bills passed up in their 3 -year in a row skilled player binge.

Ugly.

467591[/snapback]

There's a guy who just did a pretty good job of filling in @ a different position for his team (one manned by a respected veteran, no less) that the Bills passed on. It would be nice to see that guy on our roster.

There's a guy who just did a pretty good job of filling in @ a different position for his team (one manned by a respected veteran, no less) that the Bills passed on.  It would be nice to see that guy on our roster.

467595[/snapback]

Indeed. I recall in '03 clasping and unclasping my hands as he dropped down, and while I am not a swearing man, I let out a loud "WTF???!!!!" when the Bills selected. My wife came from wherever she was and asked me what was wrong. :blink:

That was a position they really, really needed to address.

Btw, the lb that you liked before the draft, Odell Thurman, seems to be exceeding expectations.

The b'gals 4 and 0 is nice, but I'll reserve judgment until they play some stiffer competition. Everything has bounced their way, so far.

Indeed. I recall in '03 clasping and unclasping my hands as he dropped down, and while I am not a swearing man, I let out a loud "WTF???!!!!" when the Bills selected. My wife came from wherever she was and asked me what was wrong. :blink:

That was a position they really, really needed to address.

Btw, the lb that you liked before the draft, Odell Thurman, seems to be exceeding expectations.

The b'gals 4 and 0 is nice, but I'll reserve judgment until they play some stiffer competition. Everything has bounced their way, so far.

467686[/snapback]

You're not the only one who was hoping we'd draft a quality player 'there' (I'm not beating a dead horse by saying who are which position....hahaha!!!). My wife has suggested that I just start hoping the Bills select players from other positions, since the guys I hope for are the ones they usually don't go after, anyways.

Thurman is doing a bang up job for Cincy. I was up in the air between Odell and Channing Crowder as to which I thought was a better player, but Odell has made the jump to the pros w/ more ease than Crowder has so far. They're putting together quite a solid group of young, talented players on that defense.

467449[/snapback]

The guy has already sat and watched for a season....He needs to get

playing time.....Carson Palmer sat for a year and he was the starter in

his 2nd year...SAME AS LOSMAN. Palmer was 3-5 in the 1st half of

the season before pulling to 8-8......It took Palmer the 1st half of

the season to figure out the NFL defense....and he was the #1

overall pick....I think JP deserves a better deal....

As for the veterans in the team wanting to win, they should first show

up for the games....Moulds, Fletcher, Adams, Vincent have all had

terrible games in the season....I bet if they show up and provide the

same support as they did in the Houston game, JP wins some of these

games....

And finally let Tom Clements call plays that play to your team strength....

I don't know if benching him benefits him, but it may very well benefit the team right now.  There's valid feeling on the whole team that there is no margin for error because if everyone doesn't do their job (except for JP) then we're going to put JP in a tight spot... and JP can't get us out of any spot right now, let alone a tight spot.  When you get into that frame of mind you tend to play "not to lose" rather than playing to win.

Some brilliant mind at OBD was sure that the defense and the offensive players surrounding one JP Losman were so great that there was no question that plugging JP right in was no problem.  Well, guess what?  The next time OBD does another player/team talent evaluation like that, how about they include scouts from about 10 or 12 other NFL teams.  Definitely better info than what's coming from inside the organization.

467577[/snapback]

THe margin for no error has to show up in

o Stopping the Run

o Getting off the field on 3rd and longs

o STs providing good field position

o Defense providing turnovers/sacks..

In fact we did all these very well, inspite of Bledsoes problems and still won

9 games last year

The guy has already sat and watched for a season....He needs to get

playing time.....Carson Palmer sat for a year and he was the starter in

his 2nd year...SAME AS LOSMAN. Palmer was 3-5 in the 1st half of

the season before pulling to 8-8......It took Palmer the 1st half of

the season to figure out the NFL defense....and he was the #1

overall pick....I think JP deserves a better deal....

As for the veterans in the team wanting to win, they should first show

up for the games....Moulds, Fletcher, Adams, Vincent have all had

terrible games in the season....I bet if they show up and provide the

same support as they did in the Houston game,  JP wins some of these

games....

And finally let Tom Clements call plays that play to your team strength....

468186[/snapback]

No disrespect meant here, but the "he needs playing time" stuff is misguided.

He looks confused, afraid and has shown no real QB skills of any kind other than running for a few meaningless yards when he gets nervous.

He needs to learn from what's going on the field in front of him FROM THE SIDELINES. Listen to the coaches as they talk to Holcomb, see what Holcomb tries and succeeds and /or fails at. Study film, and learn a little humility.

Understand that this is the N F L not Southern Methodist or Southeast Louisianna you're palying against. Stay in the goddamned pocket and give your o line some consistency so they know WHERE they should block their assignments to on every play. THEY'll get better knowing this. (Losman is actually stunting the growth of the o line in my opinion..but boy its exciting to have a mobile freakin' QB!!!)

And then pray. Because you're playing on a team that has a coaching staff and ownership that makes moves like its a Madden game..and that won't work.