Helloooo? This change might not be permanent

Ozymandius

As much as I hope that if Holcomb does well, he finishes the season as a starter in order to make a playoff run, I do realize that the coaching staff might be looking at this benching as just a one or two week thing that can improve JP. Wait, how does JP improve this week without stepping onto the field, you ask? I can think of two possibilities:

(1) One of the easiest ways to improve at something is to watch and study someone else in action who is better at doing it than you are. Make no mistake, right now Kelly Holcomb is a better QB than JP. Much better. And as JP watches Kelly in action from the sidelines, I hope he picks up on some the veteran decisions and moves that Kelly makes that help win ballgames, and that JP doesn't possess right now. When Kelly goes back to pass, I hope JP runs through the progressions with him and attempts to understand why he chose to throw the ball where and when he did.

But JP already spent all of last season watching from the sidelines, you object. That may be true but the difference is, this time around, he'll have already gotten a chance to start and play almost four entire games. He can study what Holcomb is doing on the field and combine that with his own experience playing, and that combination should help him learn much more quickly. Hopefully something will click. Because right now, I think JP needs a reminder of how a veteran QB plays the game.

(2) JP played nervous and tight his first four games. He's talked about how he's been pressing and not trusting his instincts, and Mularkey's talked about it as well. When you're nervous, how do you stop being nervous? Easy, you let another emotion come over you. Hopefully this benching will get JP angry at the coaching staff and eager to prove that he can play in this league, and when he returns to the field, he'll be able to play angry instead of jittery, which should make a difference in his performance.

As much as I hope that if Holcomb does well, he finishes the season as a starter in order to make a playoff run, I do realize that the coaching staff might be looking at this benching as just a one or two week thing that can improve JP.  Wait, how does JP improve this week without stepping onto the field, you ask?  I can think of two possibilities:

(1) One of the easiest ways to improve at something is to watch and study someone else in action who is better at doing it than you are.  Make no mistake, right now Kelly Holcomb is a better QB than JP.  Much better.  And as JP watches Kelly in action from the sidelines, I hope he picks up on some the veteran decisions and moves that Kelly makes that help win ballgames, and that JP doesn't possess right now.  When Kelly goes back to pass, I hope JP runs through the progressions with him and attempts to understand why he chose to throw the ball where and when he did.

But JP already spent all of last season watching from the sidelines, you object.  That may be true but the difference is, this time around, he'll have already gotten a chance to start and play almost four entire games.  He can study what Holcomb is doing on the field and combine that with his own experience playing, and that combination should help him learn much more quickly.  Hopefully something will click.  Because right now, I think JP needs a reminder of how a veteran QB plays the game.

(2) JP played nervous and tight his first four games.  He's talked about how he's been pressing and not trusting his instincts, and Mularkey's talked about it as well.  When you're nervous, how do you stop being nervous?  Easy, you let another emotion come over you.  Hopefully this benching will get JP angry at the coaching staff and eager to prove that he can play in this league, and when he returns to the field, he'll be able to play angry instead of jittery, which should make a difference in his performance.

466920[/snapback]

Sorry, but that post screams bull sh--.

As much as I hope that if Holcomb does well, he finishes the season as a starter in order to make a playoff run, I do realize that the coaching staff might be looking at this benching as just a one or two week thing that can improve JP.  Wait, how does JP improve this week without stepping onto the field, you ask?  I can think of two possibilities:

(1) One of the easiest ways to improve at something is to watch and study someone else in action who is better at doing it than you are.  Make no mistake, right now Kelly Holcomb is a better QB than JP.  Much better.  And as JP watches Kelly in action from the sidelines, I hope he picks up on some the veteran decisions and moves that Kelly makes that help win ballgames, and that JP doesn't possess right now.  When Kelly goes back to pass, I hope JP runs through the progressions with him and attempts to understand why he chose to throw the ball where and when he did.

But JP already spent all of last season watching from the sidelines, you object.  That may be true but the difference is, this time around, he'll have already gotten a chance to start and play almost four entire games.  He can study what Holcomb is doing on the field and combine that with his own experience playing, and that combination should help him learn much more quickly.  Hopefully something will click.  Because right now, I think JP needs a reminder of how a veteran QB plays the game.

(2) JP played nervous and tight his first four games.  He's talked about how he's been pressing and not trusting his instincts, and Mularkey's talked about it as well.  When you're nervous, how do you stop being nervous?  Easy, you let another emotion come over you.  Hopefully this benching will get JP angry at the coaching staff and eager to prove that he can play in this league, and when he returns to the field, he'll be able to play angry instead of jittery, which should make a difference in his performance.

466920[/snapback]

going to hold you to it that holcomb is a better QB

466936[/snapback]

He'd better be. If he's not significantly better than Losman and if the Bills don't start winning consistently, Donahoe and Mularkey are going to have a fan mutiny on their hands, if they don't already.

466920[/snapback]

he could have spent the same 4 games of experience in the PRE season and let him play the second half or more in each of those games........you do it one way or the other

466936[/snapback]

No problem. I've seen Holcomb have huge games in the past, including in the playoffs. I guarantee you see much better QB play when he's in the game. I mean, the bar isn't very high right now.

No problem.  I've seen Holcomb have huge games in the past, including in the playoffs.  I guarantee you see much better QB play when he's in the game.  I mean, the bar isn't very high right now.

466942[/snapback]

big f deal he won 4 games as a starter lost 9. he sure looked like sh-- when he has been put in to replace JP did not look ready to play

Benching him for one game to watch the "veteran" Kelly Holcomb will not make a damn bit of difference. If he wants to see other QBs play the game let him get Direct TV like everyone else.

The best way to learn is to get out on the field and take your beating. It's up to THE !@#$ING COACHES to make sure that they cover up for his weaknesses during his learning curve with a gameplan the plays to his and the team's strengths.

This move blows.

And a one liner like that screams stupidity, pigheadedness, and defeat.

466940[/snapback]

Easy schmuck. You're buying into the same b.s. that Donahoe has been stuffing down everyone's throat. Perhaps everyone grossly overestimated the abilities of this team and their coaching staff. They (as did I) made Bledsoe the whipping boy, and hid the rest of the team's defficiencies under his. Now they're doing it with JP. The kid NEEDS one thing- playing time.

Are you saying that JP should re-invent himself as Kelly Holcomb Jr., through observation?

Holcomb is like a poor man's Billy Volek. He should have been able to crack the starting lineup in Cleveland.

What is the point in delaying JP's development? Of course it is going to be a rough road to travel, but I don't see the point in pulling out the rug after just 1/4 of a season.

Easy schmuck.  You're buying into the same b.s. that Donahoe has been stuffing down everyone's throat.  Perhaps everyone grossly overestimated the abilities of this team and their coaching staff.  They (as did I) made Bledsoe the whipping boy, and hid the rest of the team's defficiencies under his.  Now they're doing it with JP.

466950[/snapback]

This team has been scapegoating the QB for the last ten years. This is just more of the same old crap from the Bills front office.

Easy schmuck.  You're buying into the same b.s. that Donahoe has been stuffing down everyone's throat.  Perhaps everyone grossly overestimated the abilities of this team and their coaching staff.  They (as did I) made Bledsoe the whipping boy, and hid the rest of the team's defficiencies under his.  Now they're doing it with JP.  The kid NEEDS one thing- playing time.

466950[/snapback]

If the rest of the team sucks and JP is just the scapegoat / whipping boy, then the Bills should continue to struggle and lose games with Holcomb as QB. We'll see if you're right.

If the rest of the team sucks and JP is just the scapegoat / whipping boy, then the Bills should continue to struggle and lose games with Holcomb as QB.  We'll see if you're right.

466960[/snapback]

YOU will see after this week how wrong this move is. The Bills will lose this week and lose big. I'm calling my bookie and taking whatever line they've got.

Are you saying that JP should re-invent himself as Kelly Holcomb Jr., through observation?

Holcomb is like a poor man's Billy Volek.  He should have been able to crack the starting lineup in Cleveland.

What is the point in delaying JP's development?  Of course it is going to be a rough road to travel, but I don't see the point in pulling out the rug after just 1/4 of a season.

466954[/snapback]

The point of my post is, maybe sitting a couple of weeks before playing again speeds up his development instead of delays it. I've laid out how it's possible. But people can disagree if they want.

LOL, let's see what he does with a week of first team reps.

466957[/snapback]

he's going to be better, but given the 4th quarter of last weeks game and the next two at home when is he not going to be able to outperform the kid...thats the question we're never going to know the answer to..........my best guess is as bad as jp has looked so far it'd take maybe 16 games for him to surpass what holcomb could accomplish in 9 years

The point of my post is, maybe sitting a couple of weeks before playing again speeds up his development instead of delays it.  I've laid out how it's possible.  But people can disagree if they want.

466966[/snapback]

He sat all last year. What the hell is he going to learn from watching Holcomb?