Sabres Goalie Situation

Bartovic wasn't a defenseman.....?

465061[/snapback]

That's the second time in the last few weeks that I've seen him listed as a d-man. People really need to do some research. I expect more from TSN.

As for the trade, I'm confused, but I can't wait to see what happens next.

Bartovic is a forward. A Left or Right Winger if I recall correctly. I don't know what the heck they need another goalie for except for the fact that the Sabres are keeping Biron, Miller and Norronen for now and that left Rochester shorthanded, so they sent the new goalie to Rochester. Maybe Darcy will pull off a trade before Christmas.

Bartovic is a forward. A Left or Right Winger if I recall correctly. I don't know what the heck they need another goalie for except for the fact that the Sabres are keeping Biron, Miller and Norronen for now and that left Rochester shorthanded,  so they sent the new goalie to Rochester. Maybe Darcy will pull off a trade before Christmas.

465342[/snapback]

Rochester actually has a goalie already. The Panthers are now a parent club for them as well. They have a young goalie, Jean Marc Pelletier that they assigned to Rochester. I don't know much about him, but I think that he was a well regarded prospect a few years back.

Rochester actually has a goalie already.  The Panthers are now a parent club for them as well.  They have a young goalie, Jean Marc Pelletier that they assigned to Rochester.  I don't know much about him, but I think that he was a well regarded prospect a few years back.

465389[/snapback]

This kid looks pretty good: Michael Leighton

He's better than Sterling and gives the Sabres some depth for when the "Three-Headed Monster" situation is finally resolved.

Rochester actually has a goalie already.  The Panthers are now a parent club for them as well.  They have a young goalie, Jean Marc Pelletier that they assigned to Rochester.  I don't know much about him, but I think that he was a well regarded prospect a few years back.

465389[/snapback]

He's not exactly young. He'll be 28 in March. He's had a couple of good seasons at the AAA level but he's never distinguished himself.

He's not exactly young.  He'll be 28 in March.  He's had a couple of good seasons at the AAA level but he's never distinguished himself.

465592[/snapback]

The Panthers will want him to be playing and Buffalo will want Leighton playing. That should make for an interesting situation.

Also, 28 is relatively young for a goalie. That's generally the age where they start to thrive.

edit: I just looked him up and he's 27 (March '78). It really doesn't mean much, but I wanted to point that out.

The Panthers will want him to be playing and Buffalo will want Leighton playing.  That should make for an interesting situation.

Also, 28 is relatively young for a goalie.  That's generally the age where they start to thrive.

edit:  I just looked him up and he's 27 (March '76).  It really doesn't mean much, but I wanted to point that out.

465642[/snapback]

I was born in August of '76 and I'm 29. :D

Hence the reason I said he'd turn 28 in March.  :D

Go look up his stats.  He hasn't gotten progressively better.

466043[/snapback]

That's what I get for looking at his stats the day after reading your post.

Anyway, I still think it should make for an interesting situation. Both teams will probably want their guy playing. Just looking at the numbers Leighton put up last year (very impressive stats), he has to start most of the games.

There's a story out of Minnesota (I'll post a link when I find one) that Manny Fernandez has walked out on the Minnesota Wild. They might be in the market for a player like Mika now.

Wow.

466096[/snapback]

I'm still waiting on a link. I know a sports talk show host in the Minnesota area. Every time he's mentioned something like this related to Minnesota sports, he's been right.