Ulna nerve surgery?

Fezmid

http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/fact/thr_report....topcategory=Arm

Anyone have any problems with their ulna nerve? For the last week or so, I've had tingling in my ring finger and pinkiy finger, and for the past couple of months my left elbow has been acting "weird" -- it feels different and sometimes makes a cracking noise when I fully extend it.

I think something happened 15 years ago while playing football; I went to strip the ball, and another player on my team leaped in for the tackle and hyper-extended my elbow. It swelled up, but was fine the next day so I thought nothing ofi t.

I'm going to try the things recommended on various sites (anti-inflammatory, keep the arm extended, don't let it bend at night), but if it doesn't get better in a week or two, I should probably go in. :lol:

Not looking forward to that - I HATE needles. :lol:

Just wondering if anyone else has had any experience with this before.

CW

I have mild carpal tunnel and cubital tunnel. The ulnar nerve is a pain in the ass. It is one of the bodys designed flaws and it is quite exposed on your elbow. I fractured my elbow last summer and had a problem for awhile. It is ok now. One major cause of ulnar nerve problems is bent elbows. People that spend too much time on computers or holding a phone are more prone to it. Nerve problems can be incredibly painful too. If it becomes painful get the cortisone shot. You should only have a couple cortisone shots in your life- but that helps tremendously with swelling and pain

BTW avoid surgery if you can. It is a big procedure in which the surgeons reroute the nerve.

BTW avoid surgery if you can.  It is a big procedure in which the surgeons reroute the nerve.

463334[/snapback]

Yeah, I hear it's re-routed through the gluteal nerve, which means that afterwards you won't be able to tell your elbow from your...nevermind... :blink:

Could be swelling around the nerve tissue, but I'm not a doctor, nor should anyone's advice here be mistaken for such....but you knew that. :)

Yeah, I hear it's re-routed through the gluteal nerve, which means that afterwards you won't be able to tell your elbow from your...nevermind...  :blink:

Could be swelling around the nerve tissue, but I'm not a doctor, nor should anyone's advice here be mistaken for such....but you knew that.  :)

463365[/snapback]

Yeah, I know. I also know that I hate going to doctors.... Hopefully it subsides on its own, but I'm not holding my breath this time... :lol:

Cw

Anyone have any problems with their unla nerve?  For the last week or so, I've had tingling in my ring finger and pinkiy finger, and for the past couple of months my left elbow has been acting "weird" -- it feels different and sometimes makes a cracking noise when I fully extend it.

I think something happened 15 years ago while playing football; I went to strip the ball, and another player on my team leaped in for the tackle and hyper-extended my elbow.  It swelled up, but was fine the next day so I thought nothing ofi t.

I'm going to try the things recommended on various sites (anti-inflammatory, keep the arm extended, don't let it bend at night), but if it doesn't get better in a week or two, I should probably go in. :(

Not looking forward to that - I HATE needles. :(

CW

463228[/snapback]

Consider the fact that you are aging... :blink:

Consider the fact that you are aging... :(

463770[/snapback]

My 30th was this past May, and my grandmother sent me a card that said:

"Remember when you used to think that 30 was old?"

You open it up, and it said,

"Well, you were right!"

:blink:

Thanks, Grandma! :(

CW

Wish I was 30 again, a lot less aches and pains.

Saturday, i hiked in a park. ~500 ft up and 500 ft down, round trip of about 3 miles. Was sore afterward and so tired, that I went home instead of hiking more and took a 1 hour nap at 4 PM!

I think the ulnar nerve is the one that is your "funnybone".

I'm going to try the things recommended on various sites (anti-inflammatory, keep the arm extended, don't let it bend at night), but if it doesn't get better in a week or two, I should probably go in. :(

I guess I'll throw my hat in the ring since I actually am a doctor. I'm medicine not orthopedics but I see this stuff all the time in the office. With any orthopedic problem you have basically three options:

1. Conservative measures: these include rest, using ice twenty minutes each hour at night to affected area, compression (ace bandage) and elevation if there is significant swelling. Physical therapy also plays a role if indicated here. Therapists are also helpful with braces and slings if appropriate depending on the ortho problem. The most important things are consistent rest and taking anti-inflammatories (motrin, alleve, etc) on a consistent basis for at least 7 days (preferable 10-14). Provided you have no stomach or kidney problems (or medicine interactions) you could take 600mg of motrin with each meal (3x per day) for 7-14 days. Again the main reason you take this is to stop inflammation and to do that you must get a cumulative effect. The pain relief is within a few hours if the medicine is potent enough.....the anti-inflammatory effect takes days however.

2. Non-surgical intervention: this means invasion with out surgery....i.e. injections, aspiration etc. I would certainly defer this (cortisone shot) until you have tried the above for two weeks.

3. Surgical options. Obviously this is way down on the list and only considered if everything is completely exhausted.

Good luck and one last thing with nerve problems. If your symptoms are truly of a neurologic source and you have chronic (24/7) symptoms you should certainly seek medical attention. Chronic nerve irritation (numbness, pain etc) leads to nerve death and muscle atrophy which are potentially irreversible. Follow your own advice and see your doc if you don't get better.

p.s. Mandatory disclaimer deemed necessary by non-sensical lawsuits: I am writing this as a co-member of Two Bills Drive and not as an individual serving as your own personal physician. Please seek the consultation of your own doctor prior to starting any treatment regimen. What a world...... :blink:

I guess I'll throw my hat in the ring since I actually am a doctor.  I'm medicine not orthopedics but I see this stuff all the time in the office.  With any orthopedic problem you have basically three options:

1.  Conservative measures:  these include rest, using ice twenty minutes each hour at night to affected area, compression (ace bandage) and elevation if there is significant swelling.  Physical therapy also plays a role if indicated here.  Therapists are also helpful with braces and slings if appropriate depending on the ortho problem.  The most important things are consistent rest and taking anti-inflammatories (motrin, alleve, etc) on a consistent basis for at least 7 days (preferable 10-14).  Provided you have no stomach or kidney problems (or medicine interactions) you could take 600mg of motrin with each meal (3x per day) for 7-14 days.  Again the main reason you take this is to stop inflammation and to do that you must get a cumulative effect.  The pain relief is within a few hours if the medicine is potent enough.....the anti-inflammatory effect takes days however. 

2.  Non-surgical intervention:  this means invasion with out surgery....i.e. injections, aspiration etc.  I would certainly defer this (cortisone shot) until you have tried the above for two weeks. 

3.  Surgical options.  Obviously this is way down on the list and only considered if everything is completely exhausted. 

Good luck and one last thing with nerve problems.  If your symptoms are truly of a neurologic source and you have chronic (24/7) symptoms you should certainly seek medical attention.  Chronic nerve irritation (numbness, pain etc) leads to nerve death and muscle atrophy which are potentially irreversible.  Follow your own advice and see your doc if you don't get better. 

463928[/snapback]

Thanks for the input. I didn't realize I should keep taking the anti-inflammatory, even if it's feeling fine. I'll start doing that.

I have an appointment with an orthopedist (sp?) on Monday afternoon. As you said, it can become permanent (my wife knows - she waited too long to get back surgery and now she has lost feeling in half of her foot :( ), so why not... Might as well use the health insurance I've been paying for all these years. :blink:

I'll try the ice thing too; can't hurt.

Thanks again!

CW

PS: Having to use a disclaimer is lame. :D What a world indeed. ;)

Thanks for the input.  PS: Having to use a disclaimer is lame. :(  What a world indeed. :(

463968[/snapback]

No problem and if you're already feeling better that's a pretty good sign you won't need anything drastic.

I agree...the disclaimer is lame.....but if this were to somehow become a lawsuit (you get an ulcer from taking motrin incorrectly or you "misinterpret" my advice or whatever) I could theoretically be liable because I am "trained" and gave advice regarding a specific problem. The biggest joke is the malpractice insurance would never defend me as my advice would be considered as coming from "outside the scope of my practice." I.e. I have no documentation (chart) and my insurance only covers what I do within the bounds of my practice (office or hospital). I love my job and I hate to whine....but this crap is killing the medical field.

Regardless, I hope your elbow is raised in glory at the end of Super Bowl 40...or 41...or even 42 would be good! :blink:

Doctors are lame (no offense to BillsFanM.D. and other doctors around here :angry: ).

I went to the doctor today, they took a couple of xrays and said, "Everything looks fine. You should wrap a towel around your elbow when you go to bed so that it doesn't move, and contact the ergonomics department where you work so they can adjust your desk."

Ok, good advice and all, but it's also advice I learned myself online and here. They always say, "You should always seek medical advice and not listen to anyone other than a doctor that you see in person," yet everytime I go, I've already correctly diagnosed myself beforehand :rolleyes: What a waste of time.

When I went to a doctor 10 years ago for wrist problems (tendonitis or something), they took xrays and said, "everything's fine, there's nothing wrong with you." :)

And my favorite, when I had pink eye (the only disease I ever seem to get), and needed eyedrops, the doctor insisted on seeing me instead of just prescribing me some more anti-bacterial eyedrops (since it was the same disease I had 6 months earlier). He looks at my eyes for about 30 seconds, says, "Yup, you have pinkeye," and then gives me a prescription. :wub:

I just don't have a good track record I guess.

CW

Doctors are lame (no offense to BillsFanM.D. and other doctors around here :angry: ).

I went to the doctor today, they took a couple of xrays and said, "Everything looks fine.  You should wrap a towel around your elbow when you go to bed so that it doesn't move, and contact the ergonomics department where you work so they can adjust your desk."

Ok, good advice and all, but it's also advice I learned myself online and here.  They always say, "You should always seek medical advice and not listen to anyone other than a doctor that you see in person," yet everytime I go, I've already correctly diagnosed myself beforehand  :rolleyes:  What a waste of time.

When I went to a doctor 10 years ago for wrist problems (tendonitis or something), they took xrays and said, "everything's fine, there's nothing wrong with you."  :)

And my favorite, when I had pink eye (the only disease I ever seem to get), and needed eyedrops, the doctor insisted on seeing me instead of just prescribing me some more anti-bacterial eyedrops (since it was the same disease I had 6 months earlier).  He looks at my eyes for about 30 seconds, says, "Yup, you have pinkeye," and then gives me a prescription.  :wub:

I just don't have a good track record I guess.

CW

472221[/snapback]

I broke my arm playing basketball a few years ago. I went to the emergency room and told the doctor I broke my arm. He said "no you didnt- you would be in lots of pain if your broke your arm". Xrays came back and he said "guess what- you have a broken arm". No sh---thanks doc.

I also had a compound fracture on my pinky a few years ago while I was in Maine. My pinky was literally sideways at the joint. I popped it back into place. When I got to the hospital the Doctor said "who set this". "I did". "You did a very nice job" :angry:

I have a few doctors. I am very active and have had my share of sports injurys. I am very please with all my Doctors. I have alot of respect for all of them

Anyone have any problems with their ulna nerve?  For the last week or so, I've had tingling in my ring finger and pinkiy finger, and for the past couple of months my left elbow has been acting "weird" -- it feels different and sometimes makes a cracking noise when I fully extend it.

I think something happened 15 years ago while playing football; I went to strip the ball, and another player on my team leaped in for the tackle and hyper-extended my elbow.  It swelled up, but was fine the next day so I thought nothing ofi t.

I'm going to try the things recommended on various sites (anti-inflammatory, keep the arm extended, don't let it bend at night), but if it doesn't get better in a week or two, I should probably go in. :pirate:

Not looking forward to that - I HATE needles. <_<

CW

463228[/snapback]

Fez, Had exact same problem went to neurologist and had tests done etc. Surgurey is an option but not all that successful from my docs perspective. I just stayed off the elbow, check your work space and take aleve 2 twice a day for a week.

Fez,  Had exact same problem went to neurologist and had tests done etc.  Surgurey is an option but not all that successful from my docs perspective.  I just stayed off the elbow, check your work space and take aleve 2 twice a day for a week.

472628[/snapback]

Yeah, I read that about surgery -- so I'm glad (wasn't looking forward to that at all!)

I couldn't figure out how to wrap a towel around my arm so that I can't bend it much. However, I read somewhere that another idea is to buy one of those foamy elbow guards and put it on backwards. I might try that.

Need to contact our health and safety department here to fix up my workspace as well I guess... I was kinda hoping the doctor would say I couldn't work the rest of the week :pirate:

How long did it take for your elbow to get better?

CW

Yeah, I read that about surgery -- so I'm glad (wasn't looking forward to that at all!)

I couldn't figure out how to wrap a towel around my arm so that I can't bend it much.  However, I read somewhere that another idea is to buy one of those foamy elbow guards and put it on backwards.  I might try that.

Need to contact our health and safety department here to fix up my workspace as well I guess...  I was kinda hoping the doctor would say I couldn't work the rest of the week :pirate:

How long did it take for your elbow to get better?

CW

472780[/snapback]

mine took about 6 weeks depends on damage that nerves have, Id go see a neurologist since its an ulnar nerve issue. Another thing is keeping hands open at night may need to wear a splint