Could an overlooked problem be...

Like A Mofo

We all know the OL and the inexperience at QB has been a problem and is well documented, and the OL was shaky in 2003 and 2004, but what about the Bills receivers? Are they getting open enough? Are they getting enough separation from the CB's to create opportunites for the QB? Has EM REALLY lost that much?

I leave this question more for those who watched a lot of the games on tape and really take the time to observe the WR's, I must say I havent REALLY studied the WR's but it was just a thought that crossed my mind today.

Fire away.

Hard to tell when they are overthrown by 20 yards every time. Not sure if you caught it earlier, but I was watching the game with a few folks from here. Crap Throwing monkey on one play stands up and yells something like "How the hell do you overthrow two receivers on the same play".

It was a sideline pass that sailed over two receivers and about 3 defenders.

Hard to tell when they are overthrown by 20 yards every time.  Not sure if you caught it earlier, but I was watching the game with a few folks from here.  Crap Throwing monkey on one play stands up and yells something like  "How the hell do you overthrow two receivers on the same play". 

It was a sideline pass that sailed over two receivers and about 3 defenders.

457224[/snapback]

Damn man, I watched bits and pieces of the game this past Sunday, man that is disturbing.

We all know the OL and the inexperience at QB has been a problem and is well documented, and the OL was shaky in 2003 and 2004, but what about the Bills receivers?  Are they getting open enough?  Are they getting enough separation from the CB's to create opportunites for the QB? Has EM REALLY lost that much?

I leave this question more for those who watched a lot of the games on tape and really take the time to observe the WR's, I must say I havent REALLY studied the WR's but it was just a thought that crossed my mind today.

Fire away.

457216[/snapback]

The wide receivers the problem?

Did the thought that Losman wa woefully erratic and unable to throw short, intermediate or long passes with any degree off accuracy cross your mind also?

Is overlooking a receiver what you do in order to overthrow him?  :w00t:

457295[/snapback]

No, that's different. Overlooking a receiver is when you don't go through you're progressions properly and don't see EM wide open for 6 points.

I'm not sure what exactly caused the overthrows; I suspected it was fear of INTs, and being flustered by too much going on all at once. I know I've heard that one-hopping passes is often a result of gripping the ball too tightly because you're trying to throw the ball harder than it needs to be.

But I do know a green QB + shaky pass blocking = uh, a lot of swearing by yours truly. I'm hoping my language cleans up as the season progresses. I think it will, but no promises.

this past game the tv announcer on many plays would point out that another receiver was wide open but JP never looked his way. they are getting open but JP is not finding them. He just has to learn to go through his progressions and check down when the primary receiver isnt open.

this past game the tv announcer on many plays would point out that another receiver was wide open but JP never looked his way.  they are getting open but JP is not finding them.  He just has to learn to go through his progressions and check down when the primary receiver isnt open.

457367[/snapback]

It happened repeatedly against the Falcons.

One play that really stood out, was a third and 7 (I think) where McGahee was wide open, alone, directly in front of Losman. Losman appeared to look past him, downfield to his right, Eric Moulds was flailing his arms over his head, alone, about 25 yards down field, and then he looked to the center of the field, where it was either Aiken or Reed I think, who had broken free from his man about 20 yards down field. So what does he do? He goes back to the short pass over the middle, to McGahee, who, by that time was well covered. Willis gets drilled, short of the first down. Losman had the time, he had three options to get a first down, but hung on to the ball too long (god, why does this sound so disgustingly familiar?), and guess what? Bills punt the ball...it seemed like every time JP had time to look at the defense on a passing play, he chose to throw to the receiver who was most tightly covered.

I really hope this kid turns out to be something special, so days like the past two Sundays will be long forgotten, stashed away in a box in the closet, along with the 1984 and 1985 seasons. I hate this game! :w00t:

We all know the OL and the inexperience at QB has been a problem and is well documented, and the OL was shaky in 2003 and 2004, but what about the Bills receivers?  Are they getting open enough?  Are they getting enough separation from the CB's to create opportunites for the QB? Has EM REALLY lost that much?

Fire away.

457216[/snapback]

could be.

Top flight WRs should not be replaced by Johathon Smith and Aiken.

could be.

Top flight WRs should not be replaced by Johathon Smith and Aiken.

457475[/snapback]

See now that's a good idea. Since we are not able to complete downfield passes, and I am sure this is frustrating to Moulds and Evans. Lets trade Eric to Philly for Fraley. It helps them with another WR, and we get a stud center. Then we trade Evans to Dallas for Flozell Adams. They get a speedster WR, and we get our francise LT.

It is the QB, sad to say. There are many plays that the WRs are WIDE OPEN! He had Moulds open a couple times during that game in the end zone. I like Losman, but this is what had to be expected. WRs are not the problem. Watching the games live you can see how open they are getting. He just has to make quicker decisions and throw the ball--they are there.

I for one think that there is little wrong with our wr corps. Moulds can still make plays, and Evans might be a star sooner than later.

Even Josh Reed has caught a few balls, and one very good play vs. the Falcs was the pass to Aiken, who was in motion.

I am thinking that the OL, DL, LBs, and even secondary (age and potential loss of Clements) are in need of more help than our WRs.

Bill is right---actually the defense has more problems to worry about. Remember the strategy to begin with was ball control (WM 140 yards), a good defense and good special teams. Well, we got 2 out of 3 and the defense played a clunker!