Misplaced concerns

bleedinblue

As for the 2 point conversion matter, you are absolutely incorrect.  A team should never go for 2 unless it is late in the game.  Why go for 2, so you have a nice neat number early in the game?  There are so many different scoring scenerios that can play out between then and the end of the game its not in your team's best interest to not take every single free point they can get.  Unless you can accurately predict the future and know that a 2 point conversion at that very moment will be the difference between winning and losing, its a bad idea to go for 2 that early.

455754[/snapback]

Boy, I'm amazed at the number of fans who have been won over by the myopic, neo-consevative views of NFL coaches and analysts. The argument that there are so many different scoring scenarios goes both ways. The whole point is that at that point, in that game it did not matter if the conversion was made or not. We all remember the games where a missed PAT or safety or missed attempt at 2 cost a game, but the fact is that in the vast majority of cases it just doesn't make any difference. Why not take a shot at changing the dynmamics of the game. This crap about not trying early in a game is typical NFL coach don't take chances, don't risk my job overthink. There really is no right or wrong answer, each instance is unique and yesterday, in that game, the answer should have been try.

Boy, I'm amazed at the number of fans who have been won over by the myopic, neo-consevative views of NFL coaches and analysts.  The argument that there are so many different scoring scenarios goes both ways.  The whole point is that at that point, in that game it did not matter if the conversion was made or not.  We all remember the games where a missed PAT or safety or missed attempt at 2 cost a game, but the fact is that in the vast majority of cases it just doesn't make any difference.  Why not take a shot at changing the dynmamics of the game.  This crap about not trying early in a game is typical NFL coach don't take chances, don't risk my job overthink.  There really is no right or wrong answer, each instance is unique and yesterday, in that game, the answer should have been try.

455821[/snapback]

It doesn't matter if the point is made or not? So you're willing to throw away multiple points a game because "it doesn't matter" at "that point"? I'd rather not have wins and losses come down to a "crap shoot". You take every single point you can get at any given point in the game, period.

It doesn't matter if the point is made or not?  So you're willing to throw away multiple points a game because "it doesn't matter" at "that point"?  I'd rather not have wins and losses come down to a "crap shoot".  You take every single point you can get at any given point in the game, period.

455932[/snapback]

Ok course it doesnt matter if the point is made...just ask GB who lost by 1 and missed an XP...

Only go for 2 when you need it late in the game...this isnt difficult to understand...

Ok course it doesnt matter if the point is made...just ask GB who lost by 1 and missed an XP...

Only go for 2 when you need it late in the game...this isnt difficult to understand...

455943[/snapback]

2004 and the first 3 games of 2005 - 6 games decided by a point, that 2%. Odds say it simply insignificant. We remember the 6 one pointers, especially if a missed PAT or whatever is involved, but forget the other 291 games where it wouldn't mean squat

2004 and the first 3 games of 2005 - 6 games decided by a point, that 2%.  Odds say it simply insignificant.  We remember the 6 one pointers, especially if a missed PAT or whatever is involved, but forget the other 291 games where it wouldn't mean squat

456059[/snapback]

You're not seeing the big picture here. It's not about how many games end only 1 point apart, its how you play the rest of the game. Missing the PAT could put you back 4 points instead of 3 at the end of the game. You need a TD to win instead of a FG to tie. Do you have the stats for how many times that's happened at the end of a game? It could put you down 9 instead of 8, meaning you need two possessions. Do you have the stats for how many times that's happened? Those are only two examples, there are so many ways it can effect the game you can't simply say give a flat stat and say, "see, it's not that big of a deal." Well, you can say it, but you'd be wrong.

You're not seeing the big picture here.  It's not about how many games end only 1 point apart, its how you play the rest of the game.  Missing the PAT could put you back 4 points instead of 3 at the end of the game.  You need a TD to win instead of a FG to tie.  Do you have the stats for how many times that's happened at the end of a game?  It could put you down 9 instead of 8, meaning you need two possessions.  Do you have the stats for how many times that's happened?  Those are only two examples, there are so many ways it can effect the game you can't simply say give a flat stat and say, "see, it's not that big of a deal."  Well, you can say it, but you'd be wrong.

456063[/snapback]

Exactly, there are so many permutations that it doesn't matter. Missing a PAT COULD put you down 4 rather than 3, it could also have no effet whatsoever if you score 40 or if the other guy beats you by 50. In the vast majority of games, a missed PAT etc. really has zero effect on the final outcome.

Exactly, there are so many permutations that it doesn't matter.  Missing a PAT COULD put you down 4 rather than 3, it could also have no effet whatsoever if you score 40 or if the other guy beats you by 50.  In the vast majority of games, a missed PAT etc. really has zero effect on the final outcome.

456069[/snapback]

There so many permutations that you should always take every single point you can get. If you don't know how the game is going to turn out you take every single point for you may need it later. Also, if a single point doesn't matter, then why bother going for 2? It's only going to give you 1 more point than if you didn't go for it...

I can't even believe I'm bothering with this. If you don't understand it now you never will.

There so many permutations that you should always take every single point you can get.  If you don't know how the game is going to turn out you take every single point for you may need it later.  Also, if a single point doesn't matter, then why bother going for 2?  It's only going to give you 1 more point than if you didn't go for it...

I can't even believe I'm bothering with this.  If you don't understand it now you never will.

456093[/snapback]

Oh, I understand, perhaps there is simply no ultimatley correct answer. I respect your opinion, and will stand by mine and the stats. After all, this is strictly opinion, mine is as correct as yours or anyone elses.