LET HIM THROW THE ROCK!!

From USA Today:

"It's tough, but I understand that J.P. is young and he's going to have his bumps on the road," Moulds said. "It's frustrating that you get open sometimes and sometimes the ball doesn't come, but like I told coach Mularkey, I'm going to be patient with it. I know eventually he's going to get it and make some plays for us.

"All we have to do is keep trying to get open and hopefully he finds us and a light switch comes on for him. We hope it comes on soon."

I've got a light switch for you: open up the game plan and let Losman throw the ball. I want to see him put up numbers like 33 for 52, 290 yards, 2 TDs and 3 INTs. That will tell me that they are giving the kid the chance to use his arm. While the opposing Ds are putting 8 and 9 guys in the box to stop #21, that means that Moulds or Evans or Reed or SOMEONE has one-on-one coverage. If JP needs to throw the ball to a spot and let the receiver make the play, so be it. Check down and throw to Campbell or McGahee.

Hell, run the no huddle and put the opposing defenses back on their heels. Let the kid play football.

I am not saying we should be reckless and throw games away, but the only way JP Losman is going to learn to read defenses is to be put into a situation in which he has to read defenses. He has confidence, a strong arm and running ability. Let's start using them.

A couple games with numbers like I mentioned above, and the league starts thinking that the Bills are balancing their attack. They start loading up on double-covers on the wideouts and BOOM, McGahee starts having 150 yard and 2 TD games. Hell, if the O-line opens up enough of a lane, Losman can go for 6-7 yards a pop.

We'll have a few ugly games, but Losman will make a quantum leap in his confidence and ability. By the end of the season, opponents won't know what to do with the Bills. We might miss the playoffs, but we'll start 2006 en fuego.

It will also fill seats, Messrs. Donahoe and Wilson. For a while, it might be a "you never know what you're going to get" football, but it will be exciting, interesting to watch, and you are going to see if JP can live up to his potential.

Enough with the cautious playcalling. Open it up.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been saying it all week dude. We simply don't have the offensive line to be a consistent power rushing team that can grind out 1st down after 1st down. Our second best offensive weapon is Lee Evans and to ignore what he can do when putting together a game plan is foolish.

While they still need to run the ball to keep balance, I think there should be more passing and running in 3 WR sets as we are not effective when we lineup with a FB, 2 WR and a TE playing smash mouth as McGahee is more a slasher than a smasher and with the FB and TE being a nonfactor in the passing game, adding another receiver would spread the D out and give JP another option on earlier downs if they decide to pass. Why wait until 3rd and long for the D to bring in another db in; let them have a lb cover our 3rd WR or bring in a db play on earlier downs so that we can dictate to the D as playing smah mouth football will hold this team back for I feel that JP has that gunslinger mentality.

If the Bills are forced to, or even decide to throw 52 times per game as you suggest, 6 wins would be a stretch.

If we are to assume that the Bills OL cannot open holes for the running game, the pass blocking will collapse, as it has for the last decade, perhaps longer. The defense will also tire and fold.

Without a solid ground game, JP will be a flustered rookie; just running around, over-throwing receivers, getting sacked and probably injured.

>>>>>It will also fill seats, Messrs. Donahoe and Wilson.<<<<<

Sadly, you are right. The fanatics that this board primarily consists of will purchase tickets. The garbage game that you suggest could possibly draw more marginal fans, at least for the short term. But, when JP and little roscoe go down to injury, the marginal fans will disappear, and it will be back to non-sellouts due to a dismal record.

Your rah-rah posts are good. Thank you, but to call for a return to a "Gilbride" style of play will not work and is asking to lose football games.

Football games are won by the ability to run the football, and the ability to stop the oppsoing team from running the football. It is really that simple.

In fact, I have a better suggestion.....If Gandy sucks, he should be replaced by Peters, and returned to the role of "utility man" from which he came (via a lousy team). Gandy is the player who, imo, belongs on the shortest leash of any Buffalo Bill. If Peters can play, the Bills will win more games and perhaps be able to sign him long term for a decent price, a rarity wrt LTs.

In summary, the Bills need to block in order to win, NOT field a circus side show.

If the Bills are forced to, or even decide to throw 52 times per game as you suggest, 6 wins would be a stretch.

If we are to assume that the Bills OL cannot open holes for the running game, the pass blocking will collapse, as it has for the last decade, perhaps longer. The defense will also tire and fold.

Without a solid ground game, JP will be a flustered rookie; just running around, over-throwing receivers, getting sacked and probably injured.

>>>>>It will also fill seats, Messrs. Donahoe and Wilson.<<<<<

Sadly, you are right. The fanatics that this board primarily consists of will purchase tickets. The garbage game that you suggest could possibly draw more marginal fans, at least for the short term. But, when JP and little roscoe go down to injury, the marginal fans will disappear, and it will be back to non-sellouts due to a dismal record.

Your rah-rah posts are good. Thank you, but to call for a return to a "Gilbride" style of play will not work and is asking to lose football games.

Football games are won by the ability to run the football, and the ability to stop the oppsoing team from running the football. It is really that simple.

In fact, I have a better suggestion.....If Gandy sucks, he should be replaced by Peters, and returned to the role of "utility man" from which he came (via a lousy team). Gandy is the player who, imo, belongs on the shortest leash of any Buffalo Bill. If Peters can play, the Bills will win more games and perhaps be able to sign him long term for a decent price, a rarity wrt LTs.

In summary, the Bills need to block in order to win, NOT field a circus side show.

451248[/snapback]

52 times is ridiculous. I think the Bills should have 50-50 run/pass attack. This offense will not begin to move until we start completing some long passes.

I've been saying it all week dude. We simply don't have the offensive line to be a consistent power rushing team that can grind out 1st down after 1st down. Our second best offensive weapon is Lee Evans and to ignore what he can do when putting together a game plan is foolish.

451228[/snapback]

I respectfully remind you that it is FAR easier for offensive linemen to run-block than it is to pass-block, simply because the offensive linemen know the count and fire out on running plays. This is where an OL inflicts pain on defenders. On passing downs, the OL is backing up and taking punishment.

Please don't assume that if a team cannot run, it CAN pass. Again, pass protection is the hard part. If Gandy is not strong nor agile enough to protect the blindside, JP will get creamed, and soon.

Drew cannot move well, but his play improved dramatically when Henry was benched, WM was inserted, and a balanced attack was possible.

The Bills need this balance, and it starts with the ability to run the football.

Sorry, but there is really little room for debate here imo.

Bill, it has ALWAYS come down to Line play. On BOTH sides of the ball. If the Bills want to return to the glory days, then they had better find a couple offensive linemen. When was the last time we drafted a lineman who lived up to the hype? Maybe Mike Williams, but I dont think so. Jonas was a solid pick. Then you have to go back to Rueben like 13 friggin years ago.....

My main problem with Donahoe is his insistence that our O-line is good enough. It hasn't been in 10 years....

Umm... we did this against TB. He ran the no-huddle, he tried to throw to spots, he threw a lot. Guess what he almost got picked 5 times throwing to spots, he was ineffective running the no-huddle, and the abandoning of the running game put him into too many 3-10 or worse.

Umm...  we did this against TB.  He ran the no-huddle, he tried to throw to spots, he threw a lot.  Guess what he almost got picked 5 times throwing to spots, he was ineffective running the no-huddle, and the abandoning of the running game put him into too many 3-10 or worse.

451256[/snapback]

But he did well running it against the prevent Bucs D. <_<

Bill, it has ALWAYS come down to Line play. On BOTH sides of the ball. If the Bills want to return to the glory days, then they had better find a couple offensive linemen. When was the last time we drafted a lineman who lived up to the hype? Maybe Mike Williams, but I dont think so. Jonas was a solid pick. Then you have to go back to Rueben like 13 friggin years ago.....

My main problem with Donahoe is his insistence that our O-line is good enough. It hasn't been in 10 years....

451255[/snapback]

Mike Williams is good, but NOT for a #4. The next game he plays where he lives up to this slot will be his first imo (although he DID have a great game vs. the Cards last year).

Jonas was a GREAT pick. Preston? He looks good.....let's hope.

You are 100% correct, not enough resources are devoted to our OL. You kow, TD has done a better job than Mr. Butler wrt blocking.

Scary but true.

Mike Williams is good, but NOT for a #4. The next game he plays where he lives up to this slot will be his first imo (although he DID have a great game vs. the Cards last year).

Jonas was a GREAT pick. Preston? He looks good.....let's hope.

You are 100% correct, not enough resources are devoted to our OL. You kow, TD has done a better job than Mr. Butler wrt blocking.

Scary but true.

451270[/snapback]

I agree. But if the Bills want to win A SB, then we MUST improve the offensive line... I am tired of Signing somebody elses castoffs and expecting them to "step up their play under Coach XXXXX" We need to sign or draft a few guys like Walter Jones, or Orlando Pace. I would rather pay them the money than a Mike Williams.

Lineplay decides who wins. Win the war up front, and you win the Game...

We might miss the playoffs, but we'll start 2006 en fuego.

451224[/snapback]

Missing the playoffs this year would be unacceptable. The team's success takes greater priority over the speed of Losman's individual development.

The problem hasn't been the number of passing attempts that Losman has thrown; it's been his accuracy and judgement during these attempts. 52 passes a game would almost certainly mean routine blowouts early on in the season, and the damage to JP's confidence from that type of losing will overshadow the extra experience he'd get.

But I do agree to some extent that the offensive coaches need to let Losman attack more of the field. This should get better as soon as Parrish and Everett return from their injuries.

Umm...  we did this against TB.  He ran the no-huddle, he tried to throw to spots, he threw a lot.  Guess what he almost got picked 5 times throwing to spots, he was ineffective running the no-huddle, and the abandoning of the running game put him into too many 3-10 or worse.

451256[/snapback]

Exactly. People are saying we should run more 3 receiver sets. That is what we ran a majority of the time. Josh Reed led the team in catches. You can spread it out all you want but unless the QB can get the ball there, its going to be a long season.

You can't have it both ways. If the o-line isn't good enough to establish a run game, as some suggest, than there's only one other option.

I'm cool with a 50/50 split, even. I don't care how bad Gandy is, he can hold off a DL long enough for Losman to hit a quick out. I don't care if the pass plays only pick up 4-5 yards, the fact is right now opposing Ds know exactly what we are going to call.

Let's assume that the o-line hasn't jelled enough to enable us to establish a consistent running game week in and week out. Enough of you are calling for personnel changes and player pickups to tell me that you can live with this assumption.

Given that, and given you're the coach--you tell me what play you're going to call?

As far as comments re: "garbage game," and "circus side-show," I respect your right to your opinion, but just offering "we need to establish a running game" is not really advancing the discussion. We all know that. We all get that. If McGahee comes out against Atlanta and has a good, solid game running north/south, great. That'll mean the O-line started to figure it out, and we have a chance to go 8-8.

Despite assertions that my posts are "rah-rah," I am NOT a bandwagon-jumping, starry-eyed Bills fanatic. Like some of you, I have been a fan for a long time--40 years, actually--and have seen Bills football far worse than this.

I'm sticking with my original assertion: the Bills need to throw more.

Missing the playoffs this year would be unacceptable. The team's success takes greater priority over the speed of Losman's individual development.

451275[/snapback]

Huh??? It's quite the opposite. The team's success depends upon the Losman's development.

Backing into the playoffs with little chance of advancing is near-sighted, pandering, and pointless. It's the sign of a coaching staff and administration trying to keep their paychecks coming.

Prudent development is the high ground.

Exactly. People are saying we should run more 3 receiver sets. That is what we ran a majority of the time. Josh Reed led the team in catches. You can spread it out all you want but unless the QB can get the ball there, its going to be a long season.

451285[/snapback]

Wrong! they ran 3 WR on 3rd down in KNOWN passing situations and that is where the problem lies in that we don't have ap ersonell group in which we run and pass with balance. All you have to know is that when Shelton is in it will either be a run or play action/rollout %90 of the time. When Reed comes in it is a pass play; barely do you see a run or draw from this group; the D adjust and brings in an extra DB. My point is that I still feel that we can run the ball effectively from a 3 WR set but I don't see any success passing with a 2 WR, @ back, 1 TE group as the backs and TE's are not receiving threats. This leads to predictability for one and no productivity as teams are asking us to beat them passing with this group and we can't. It's like leaving Shaq open at the 3 point line and daring him to beat you from there; some will say he is open so he must shoot to keep the D honest and the D will leave him open until he beats them. Even if he hits a few, guess who would win in the end?

Wrong! they ran 3 WR on 3rd down in KNOWN passing situations and that is where the problem lies in that we don't have ap ersonell group in which we run and pass with balance. All you have to know is that when Shelton is in it will either be a run or play action/rollout %90 of the time. When Reed comes in it is a pass play; barely do you see a run or draw from this group; the D adjust and brings in an extra DB. My point is that I still feel that we can run the ball effectively from a 3 WR set but I don't see any success passing with a 2 WR, @ back, 1 TE group as the backs and TE's are not receiving threats. This leads to predictability for one and no productivity as teams are asking us to beat them passing with this group and we can't. It's like leaving Shaq open at the 3 point line and daring him to beat you from there; some will say he is open so he must shoot to keep the D honest and the D will leave him open until he beats them. Even if he hits a few, guess who would win in the end?

451321[/snapback]

Problem was you yank the TE off the field, then you are asking Gandy to go one on one with Rice. That wasn't heppening, and he and Campbell doubled Rice all day, to where he only got one sack.

Big picture. From a line standpoint the bills did what they could with what they have. Gandy and Jerman cannot be left on an island to single block and Shelton sucks right now, so Jermain got no help on the right side.

451321[/snapback]

How did Josh Reed have multiple catches on 1st down then? Was Moulds or Evans taken out of the game? The only position I noticed Reed in was the slot, I could be wrong though.

How did Josh Reed have multiple catches on 1st down then? Was Moulds or Evans taken out of the game? The only position I noticed Reed in was the slot, I could be wrong though.

451338[/snapback]

There was at least one 1st where I saw Euphus, Aiken, and Shelton on the field without Moulds or Evans. That was the play Aiken just flat out dropped the ball on a short cross pattern.