Milloy / Vincent at safety

Lori

I got to thinking about this last Sunday, while watching the Bills wreak havoc on the Texans' passing game. Remembered a discussion from June...

http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?showtopic=25813

...and decided to drag up what I wrote back then:

For those of you asking how the defense could be better this season, here's something to consider.

Think back to last year: Izell Reese and Coy Wire were the safeties on opening day 2004. Wire lasted less than three games before being pulled off the field in the middle of a New England drive. That gave Pierson Prioleau his shot to start at SS against the Jets, and we all remember how well that worked. As for Reese, the coaches were so enthralled with his level of play that they turned to UDFA rookie Rashad Baker for the St. Louis game...

Back to the present. Barring injury, Troy Vincent and Lawyer Milloy will be the Bills' starting safeties in September.

Vincent/Milloy > Reese/Wire/Prioleau/Baker, wouldn't you say?

The five regular-season games since Troy Vincent became the starting FS:

Buffalo 37, Cleveland 7 - 7 sacks, 5 turnovers, 26 total yards, -3 net passing yards. Vincent hit the trifecta with a sack, INT, and fumble recovery; Milloy added a sack.

Buffalo 33, Cincinnati 17 - 3 sacks, 4 turnovers, 1 defensive TD (62-yd INT return by Spikes), 126 net passing yards. Quiet day for the safeties, as the front 7 made the big plays in this game.

Buffalo 41, San Francisco 7 - 3 sacks, 4 turnovers, 91 net passing yards. Milloy had one of the 3 Bills INTs. San Francisco never made it past the Buffalo 45 until their single scoring drive in the fourth quarter, when most of the Buffalo starters were already celebrating on the sidelines.

Pittsburgh 29, Buffalo 24 - 3 sacks, 3 turnovers, 1 defensive TD (Clements 30-yd INT return), 105 net passing yards.

Despite drive starts on the Buffalo 20 and 24, the Steelers offense only found the end zone once. The key to that game was Buffalo's inability to hold onto the ball in the first half - four three-and-outs plus a bad Bledsoe INT, and at halftime, Pittsburgh had an 18:58-11:02 edge in TOP. (That perhaps explains why the D wore down in the second half, no?)

Buffalo 22, Houston 7 - 5 sacks, 5 turnovers, 120 total net yards, 25 net passing yards. Vincent had 2 INTs (and almost a third), Milloy an INT and a fumble recovery.

Totals: 21 sacks, 21 turnovers. That averages out to over 4 of each per game - think about that for a minute, averaging 4 takeaways/game. And check out this average, too - 68.8 net passing yards/game. Granted, the Bills weren't playing against Peyton Manning or Brett Favre in any of those games, but those numbers are still unreal.

And this week's opponent, Tampa Bay, offers up a LG/LT combo who had started a combined 0 NFL games before last weekend.

Here's to a sleepless night for Brian Griese tonight.... :devil:

Totals: 21 sacks, 21 turnovers. That averages out to over 4 of each per game - think about that for a minute, averaging 4 takeaways/game. And check out this average, too - 68.8 net passing yards/game. Granted, the Bills weren't playing against Peyton Manning or Brett Favre in any of those games, but those numbers are still unreal.

And this week's opponent, Tampa Bay, offers up a LG/LT combo who had started a combined 0 NFL games before last weekend.

444064[/snapback]

OH HELL, YEAH !!!!!!!!!

I got to thinking about this last Sunday, while watching the Bills wreak havoc on the Texans' passing game. Remembered a discussion from June...

Buffalo 37, Cleveland 7 - 7 sacks, 5 turnovers, 26 total yards, -3 net passing yards. Vincent hit the trifecta with a sack, INT, and fumble recovery; Milloy added a sack.

Buffalo 33, Cincinnati 17 - 3 sacks, 4 turnovers, 1 defensive TD (62-yd INT return by Spikes), 126 net passing yards. Quiet day for the safeties, as the front 7 made the big plays in this game.

Buffalo 41, San Francisco 7 - 3 sacks, 4 turnovers, 91 net passing yards. Milloy had one of the 3 Bills INTs. San Francisco never made it past the Buffalo 45 until their single scoring drive in the fourth quarter, when most of the Buffalo starters were already celebrating on the sidelines.

Pittsburgh 29, Buffalo 24 - 3 sacks, 3 turnovers, 1 defensive TD (Clements 30-yd INT return), 105 net passing yards.

Despite drive starts on the Buffalo 20 and 24, the Steelers offense only found the end zone once. The key to that game was Buffalo's inability to hold onto the ball in the first half - four three-and-outs plus a bad Bledsoe INT, and at halftime, Pittsburgh had an 18:58-11:02 edge in TOP. (That perhaps explains why the D wore down in the second half, no?)

Buffalo 22, Houston 7 - 5 sacks, 5 turnovers, 120 total net yards, 25 net passing yards. Vincent had 2 INTs (and almost a third), Milloy an INT and a fumble recovery.

444064[/snapback]

Nice post, kind of puts it into perspective huh?

Not much time to comment beyond saying that this is a helluvan observation, and I appreciate the time you took to put this together.

444069[/snapback]

15 minutes with a 2005 media guide and the Houston gamebook, while the PSU game is at halftime on the big-screen across the room. Not like I had anything better to do... :devil:

Oops, the third Q just started. Roar Lions Roar....

Thanks Lori. Your usual high standard of research and posting raises even further.

And to think--we had 20+ Straight games without a safety interception..Milloy and Troy; the President (of the NFL PA) and his Counsel...weakness into a strength..

Cool stuff, but I really come here to find out what's on ABC tonight.

444098[/snapback]

www.abc.com

Now where's that :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: smiley when I need it?

On the flipside, should we miss either to extended absences we are screwed.  Sorry, to be a negative nancy but we need their backups to play competently and I don't they can right now.

444109[/snapback]

Ditto for New England if they lose Rodney Harrison (backups: James Sanders/Guss Scott), Baltimore if they lose Ed Reed (Chad Williams/BJ Ward), or Dallas if they lose Roy Williams (Willie Pile). In fact, I'd imagine any team in the league could anticipate a dropoff between their starters and backups. Your point?

Milloy and Vincent played 4 games together at safety last season - that means there were 12 games they DIDN'T play together, and the defense was still pretty darn good. (Please note the 7-turnover game vs. Miami the week before Vincent returned from his knee injury, or the complete throttling of the NFC West champion Seahawks the week before that, or the 6-sack, 4-turnover, 35-yards-rushing performance vs. the Rams the week before that.....)

I think Lori is my favorite poster here...    :devil:

Nothing like using facts to paint a clear picture...

444166[/snapback]

Lori posts what most people wish to read. Intelligent football discussion.

We now return to legendary basement renovations on HGTV.

444064[/snapback]

The heat that TKO & CO. are bringing will be too much for Griese. :blink:

444179[/snapback]

Fez is pretty OK in my book, too, but I know what you mean... This week has been absolutely refreshing with numerous in depth football posts.

444179[/snapback]

at least you got GG beat. He has started a total of 0 football threads since camp started and you have 3 threads. :devil:

Forums such as this depend on the more knowledgeable posters to lead the discussion. If those threads never make it to our board - I fail to see how the blame falls on those with a less sophisticated take on the game.

I'm pretty darn sure Lori would enjoy more constructive replies as she tries to lead the discussion toward more intelligent football topics.

444064[/snapback]

I think I love you... :blink:

What I love most about our current safeties is their versatility. Milloy can play as a 4th LB without missing a beat, and the same goes for Vincent as a 3rd CB. This allows our defense to keep the most talented 11 men on the field for a much higher percentage of plays.

Honestly, I don't think Griese has a chance against these two. They are rarely caught out of position. Same goes for Clements. Griese's best bet would be to hand the ball off to Cadillac and let him pound away on the left side against Schobel and Edwards.