(OT) Does anybody else read Neal Stephenson?

Simon

Speaking of books has anyone read the Song of Ice and Fire series by George R.R. Martin? So far there are three books in the series and the 4th one is coming out in November. It's a fantasy series for people that don't like fantasy novels. All the cliches of the genre are thrown out and the series is a complex story of multiple noble houses that are contending for a throne. The characters in the series are wonderfully done. Few characters are clearly good or clearly evil. Everyone has a logical motivation for their actions in the series. Heroes don't simply survive every peril presented to them. It's just a damn good series of books. Pick up the first book Game of Thrones. There's a new edition out that retails for 3.99 trying to introduce people to the series. My poor description really does this series no justice, but give it a look if you have a chance.

Not sure where Cincy's oh so superior reply went. Since he's brilliant enough to look down his nose and judge somebody's prose by reading a single page out of 2500, I eagerly await his all-knowing opinion on what truly constitutes appreciable writing from a modern novelist.

C'mon stuck, wow us with the incredible breadth of your knowledge regarding modern erudition. ;)

Not sure where Cincy's oh so superior reply went. Since he's brilliant enough to look down his nose and judge somebody's prose by reading a single page out of 2500, I eagerly await his all-knowing opinion on what truly constitutes appreciable writing from a modern novelist.

C'mon stuck, wow us with the incredible breadth of your knowledge regarding modern erudition. ;)

443453[/snapback]

What I did, Simon, was delete it. That's where it went, because I realized it might be construed by you as something personal. So away it went. I do such with regularity, realizing that my words can gratuitiously hurt, and that you are far from one that I would wish to cut thus.

As you now say, it was the 1st page, but for a first page it was pure pablum. Sorry...I can't go away from my opinion...if that was the opening, I sorely hope it improved with review and printing.

I surely know I am as arrogant as Hell, Simon. But I am equally as loyal as Hell and you are to know that if it comes, I will defend your interests.

What I did, Simon, was delete it. That's where it went, because I realized it might be construed by you as something personal. So away it went.  I do such with regularity, realizing that my words can gratuitiously hurt, and that you are far from one that I would wish to cut thus.

As you now say, it was the 1st page, but for a first page it was pure pablum. Sorry...I can't go away from my opinion...if that was the opening, I sorely hope it improved with review and printing.

I surely know I am as arrogant as Hell, Simon. But I am equally as loyal as Hell and you are to know that if it comes, I will defend your interests.

443508[/snapback]

I didn't take it personally, I was just surprised that somebody would view his work with such disdain. Granted, the sample is small and it is impossible to represent the extensive scope of the work in a message board format.

I read far more than is good for me and really can't think of a current writer of fiction who does better work than Stephenson. If you've got somebody in mind, I'd appreciate a nudge in the right direction.

Cya

I didn't take it personally, I was just surprised that somebody would view his work with such disdain. Granted, the sample is small and it is impossible to represent the extensive scope of the work in a message board format.

I read far more than is good for me and really can't think of a current writer of fiction who does better work than Stephenson. If you've got somebody in mind, I'd appreciate  a nudge in the right direction.

Cya

443516[/snapback]

Read Coli's blog lately? Now THAT'S some writing.

Read Coli's blog lately? Now THAT'S some writing.

443532[/snapback]

No argument there. That boy knows his way around the alphabet.

Now if he can just come up with a 3,000 page opus which acurately depicts the state of nearly the entire planet in the 17th century while discussing in depth and detail such divergent subjects as world finance, metallurgy, the burgeoning field of calculus, seafaring, major world religions, alchemy, the politics of nobility, natural science, and the relative strengths and weaknesses of wildly divergent historical cultures, and manages to remain subtly hysterical throughout, then I'll start a thread about him too.

;)

No argument there. That boy knows his way around the alphabet.

Now if he can just come up with a 3,000 page opus which acurately depicts the state of nearly the entire planet in the 17th century while discussing in depth and detail such divergent subjects as world finance, metallurgy, the burgeoning field of calculus, seafaring, major world religions, alchemy, the politics of nobility, natural science, and the relative strengths and weaknesses of wildly divergent historical cultures, and manages to remain subtly hysterical throughout, then I'll start a thread about him too.

;)

443582[/snapback]

I'll wear leather patches on my elbows next time I butt in, smoke a pipe, too.

I'm just screwing with you, but for any genre of anything, we like what we like and we are usually bored with what we don't. Sounds like he writes by the pound, but that's my opinion. I'm entitled to it, and it's no better than yours.

Speaking of books has anyone read the Song of Ice and Fire series by George R.R. Martin?

443410[/snapback]

Yes, thats another favorite of mine...I can't wait for the next one to come out (I've been waiting for it for about 4 years now). Apparently, the 5th book is done as well...he wrote so much for the 4th book that he split it into 2. So, it won't be another 5 year gap between volumes. I just hope that there is some kind of good summary for what went on in the first 3 books, as I read them quite a long time ago, and there is no way I could re-read them all before November. Martin does tend to re-hash events a lot in his writing, so it will probably be okay.

I just hope that there is some kind of good summary for what went on in the first 3 books, as I read them quite a long time ago, and there is no way I could re-read them all before November. 

443596[/snapback]

You've GOT to reread them. Put off starting the new one, but definately reread them. I started rereading them specifically so I could be caught up and refreshed in time for November. (I might have started a bit early since I'm about to start Storm of Swords.) I'm finding a new appreciation for how intricately the book is written. It's kind of hard to keep all the characters straight the first read through, since there are so damn many of them, but the second time through you really pick it up and start to get into what is truly going on in the story. BTW, if you haven't already check out this FAQ discussion about some of the major events in ASOIF. It's pretty well done and will get you thinking about a few things that might not have ocurred to you.

The man with the outlandish johnson — swarthy, with wavy black hair in a curious 'do, and a knit skullcap — hitched up his robe, and sloshed out to see if he was all right.

443128[/snapback]

(In my best Beavis and Butthead voice) "huh huh uh...'outlandish Johnson'..huh uh."