best pizza in WNY?

grammer_police

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only pizza I've had in WNY was at Ilio DiPaolo's earlier this week.

If you are there...try the Blanco Pizza, which is basil, fresh tomatoes and mozarella. No sauce, but then again, it doesn't need it. And the tomato/mozarella salad is awesome.

I was talking to the waitress when I was there on Tuesday. She said she drops off dinner from Ilio's for the Bills coaches a couple of times a week. I wanted to go with her, but she declined...no passengers, I guess. :blush:

My wife and I loved that place...terrific Italian food.

Mike

Bottom line is you really can't go wrong with Pizza in WNY.

A few of my favorites...

Labella's on Genessee in Cheektowaga.

Mazina's (sp) in Clarence.

Papa John's locations in Rochester with their garlic sauce.

Any place around the corner.

441859[/snapback]

?????

You are from Buffalo? I like Papa Johns when I am in the mood for a nice piece of cardboard with sauce

... That usually lasts me until spring, when I start jonesing so bad I break down and order a half-baked to be shipped to me via FedEx. I can proudly say that I've had Bocce pizza in 4 states - it's that good.

Bocce's is where my family always got their pies from. I don't know if it's the best in WNY, but it's what I grew up with. I never thought of having it shipped - the website just says cheese/pep pizza - do they ship any kind of pizza, and wings, too? What's that end up costing?

Seems like all the pizza places down here are owned by greeks or armenians. Not the worst thing I ever ate, but none of it can stack up against WNY pizza. I can't bring myself to eat any of the pizza chain store pizzas. I'd rather take the time to make it myself.

?????

You are from Buffalo?  I like Papa Johns when I am in the mood for a nice piece of cardboard with sauce

442371[/snapback]

I was born and raised in WNY and have lived in Indiana, Nevada, and Wisconsin. I have found phenomonal pizza in all those locales. WNY is good, but really, WNY did not invent nor master the pizza. I have even visited SoCal and found great pizza there.

Those that think WNY is the mecca of pizza probably really do not give other locations a chance - an immediate bias with no chance of a favorable outcome.

By the way, Columbus OH has some great pizza.

I was born and raised in WNY and have lived in Indiana, Nevada, and Wisconsin.  I have found phenomonal pizza in all those locales.  WNY is good, but really, WNY did not invent nor master the pizza.  I have even visited SoCal and found great pizza there. 

Those that think WNY is the mecca of pizza probably really do not give other locations a chance - an immediate bias with no chance of a favorable outcome.

By the way, Columbus OH has some great pizza.

442593[/snapback]

I have traveled very extensively for my job the last 8 yrs or so, and generally I agree with you. However, the one city with absolutley no good pizza is DC. And thats where I lived for 14 yrs. Couple places okay, but nothing outstanding. Now, here in Richmond, several places much closer to a true pizza(thinNY style crust)than I could ever find in DC, especially in the district itself.

There's really no comparison...if you like thin crust pizza (or as I call it, pizza)

LaHacienda, Pine Ave. in Niagara Falls (no relation to LaHacienda on Brighton).

Pepperoni...well done.  Not as good as it used to be, but still twice as good as any WNY pizza.  Trust me.

441848[/snapback]

Have to agree.

I have traveled very extensively for my job the last 8 yrs or so, and generally I agree with you. However, the one city with absolutley no good pizza is DC. And thats where I lived for 14 yrs. Couple places okay, but nothing outstanding. Now, here in Richmond, several places much closer to a true pizza(thinNY style crust)than I could ever find in DC, especially in the district itself.

442613[/snapback]

There are one or two mom and pops in the suburbs, but yeah pizza sucks here.

WNY is with out a doubt the pizza capital of the world. I now live in south Florida and would'nt feed the pizza around here to my dog. I really miss Pontillo's and Pudgie's in Canadaigua. Crispy real pepperoni, crispy crust and cooked well done, not this fast cooked crap that tastes raw and uncooked.

The Main St. Gas and Grille in Youngstown is wonderful.

442248[/snapback]

Hey Ass, remember RRDD(aka R2D2 aka Double R double D)? Right down from the Stone Jug. I worked a the Fort for a couple of years and we always went there for "Pizza fingers".

I can't believe no one has mentioned Honeys Pizza and Wings in NF????

Jeff

Hey Ass, remember RRDD(aka R2D2 aka Double R double D)?  Right down from the Stone Jug. I worked a the Fort for a couple of years and we always went there for "Pizza fingers".

Jeff

442718[/snapback]

Ahhhh the Stone Jug! Was there a couple months ago. Youngstown just ain't the same w/o Commerfords.

As for Honeys, the reason nobody mentioned it is because it SUCKS! Now, if you get the pizza there (well, the old Pine Ave location) at 3AM...drunk...and eat it there...then, it's just bad. They used to bring Honey's pizza to school events all the time (North Junior...RIP, NFHS), for fund raisers and such. Freakin' cardboard with red goo on top. Yeech!

Hey Ass, remember RRDD(aka R2D2 aka Double R double D)?  Right down from the Stone Jug. I worked a the Fort for a couple of years and we always went there for "Pizza fingers".

Jeff

442718[/snapback]

Ahh, the jug shuffle board, won a lotta beers on that thing. Worked at the fort summers of 80-82 as a lifeguard.When were you there?

Ahh, the jug shuffle board, won a lotta beers on that thing. Worked at the fort summers of 80-82 as a lifeguard.When were you there?

442754[/snapback]

I bartended at The Old Fort Inn, Commerfords and ran the YYC bar for awhile around that same time!