Was that Robert Gallery Starting at RIGHT Tackle?

Alaska Darin

OK, now back the point of YOUR original point in the thread.....players do not get drafted in the top 5 to play RT. Gallery was not drafted to play RT.

MW played in front of a left-handed qb in college. I am thinking that when he was dtafted, Bills management was confident that he could make the transition, at least at some point.

If you wish to make the case that players are drafted that early to play RT, please go right ahead.

Btw, I did not think that Big Mike was the best RT in the NFL last season, even in the 2nd half. He was good, but the "best" is quite a reach. Perhaps you were thinking of his paycheck. However, nothing would be better for this current team than his continued improvement. It would help the untested JP an untold amount to have a RT who can play as well as you think that he can.

Tomorrow; our home opener,  is the day for Big Mike to step up and pancake his opponents. CV is playing, and I want to see Willis sprinting past fallen Texans as he races upfield with a head of steam. If I see this, I will pop open a beer and toast to you and Big Mike because we will need plays such as this to win football games.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

435891[/snapback]

Man, the BS that SOME people on this board come up with. :D

I'm with you however.

Regarding MW being the best RT in footbal, that is a joke.

Please see link below to FootballOutsiders that has the Bills adjusted line yards

ranking the Bills 25 overall in the NFL. Not a surprise.

See additional chart below first that has breakdown by direction of run. RT

is ranked # 32, or last in the league.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol2004.php

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm not going to go out and say that MW was the best RT in the league last year, but i will put him in the top 5 for sure. i would also say he was probably the best run blocking RT in the league.

second, in reading this thread i had an idea that i hadn't thought of before. perhaps the "plan" for MW was to ease him in the the nfl - its spead and physicality - by playing RT until Jonas left. ok ok, now jonas is gone and we have seen mike blossom into one of the best RTs in the league. i can't say for sure but i believe that MW is up for a contract in the next year or two. perhaps TD is thinking ahead and realizing it would be a better financial decision to put off the move to LT (LTs make A LOT more money) until after MW is under contract long term. mike would be able to blossom as a RT, perhaps we could find a cheaper solution to LT in the process during the years MW refined the RT position (gandy????), and we save 5 million per year against the cap because we pay him as a RT instead of a LT. crazy theory and probably way to overanalyzed, but worth consideration.

Man, the BS that SOME people on this board come up with.  :w00t:

I'm with you however.

Regarding MW being the best RT in footbal, that is a joke.

Please see link below to FootballOutsiders that has the Bills adjusted line yards

ranking the Bills 25 overall in the NFL.  Not a surprise.

See additional chart below first that has breakdown by direction of run.  RT

435919[/snapback]

Actually it was right tackle, not end that was #32. In addition, looking at the 2002 data, they have Big Mike in his rookie year at #6?

The only thing I can draw from that analysis is that their statistical calculations to arrive at those numbers are flawed...

Actually it was right tackle, not end that was #32.  In addition, looking at the 2002 data, they have Big Mike in his rookie year at #6?

The only thing I can draw from that analysis is that their statistical calculations to arrive at those numbers are flawed...

435991[/snapback]

"See additional chart below first that has breakdown by direction of run. RT

is ranked # 32, or last in the league."

And no again, they have RT in 2002 at # 13.

The RT numbers are the 4th set over.

The method explained: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/methods.php#lineyards

I do give you credit however, for looking at the numbers.

ranking the Bills 25 overall in the NFL. Not a surprise.

See additional chart below first that has breakdown by direction of run. RT

Ohhhh, that's rich. :w00t:

Did you find it interesting that the NFL's best passing teams (IND, KC, NE) were at the top, whille the NFL's worst passing teams (MIA, SF, CLE) were the 3 worst?

Yeah, what an outstanding method of measuring an individual OLineman's performance in the run game. :w00t:

I'm thinking you should spend less time on your math homework and more time actually watching football. But don't tell yer mum I said that.....

Ohhhh, that's rich.  :w00t:

Did you find it interesting that the NFL's best passing teams (IND, KC, NE) were at the top, whille the NFL's worst passing teams (MIA, SF, CLE) were the 3 worst?

Yeah, what an outstanding method of measuring an individual OLineman's performance in the run game.  :w00t:

I'm thinking you should spend less time on your math homework and more time actually watching football. But don't tell yer mum I said that.....

436001[/snapback]

Hmm. The NFL's worst run blocking teams also blow in the passing game?

Do I find this interesting? No, not really.

Did you find it interested that the Buffalo O-line run game was ranked # 25?

Or that per NFL.com, the Bills ranked # 22 overall in rushing yards/attempt?

You know, this is getting boring.

"See additional chart below first that has breakdown by direction of run. RT

is ranked # 32, or last in the league."

And no again, they have RT in 2002 at # 13.

The RT numbers are the 4th set over.

The method explained:  http://www.footballoutsiders.com/methods.php#lineyards

I do give you credit however, for looking at the numbers.

436000[/snapback]

whatever. He is just as responsible for the right end as right tackle. There is also the fact the a great number of running plays have pulling guards and other line stunts that further cloud the picture. It does not consider runs over 10 yards or any short yardage, either. I stand by the fact that this analysis is not accurate and is certainly not an indicator of performance of individual players.

One orther thing- Buffalo was third last year with rushes over 20 yards. Couldn't find any data for ten yard runs, but by taking those away and the Bills' 8th ranked rushing TDs, you have scrubbed too much info.

Edited by KnightRider

whatever.  He is just as responsible for the  right end as right tackle.  There is also the fact the a great number of running plays have pulling guards and other line stunts that further cloud the picture.  It does not consider runs over 10 yards or any short yardage, either.  I stand by the fact that this analysis is not accurate and is certainly not an indicator of performance of individual players.

One orther thing- Buffalo was third last year with rushes over 20 yards.  Couldn't find any data for ten yard runs, but by taking those away and the Bills' 8th ranked rushing TDs, you have scrubbed too much info.

436024[/snapback]

They do have those stats in the upper chart, which is total O-Line, and not specific holes.

Power Rank: # 22

10 + Rank: # 19

Stuffed Rank: # 25

Also, I think you are starting to confuse RB performance (20 + yards)

with O-line performance.

In 2003 RT for the Bills was #6 while LT for the Rams was #21.

You know who the LT for the Rams is. DOnt go by stupid stats.

Its simple, Mike Williams needs to be more consistent. He has thos 2 plays a game where his guy just blows right by him, but most of the time he handles his man.

Also, it doesnt matter where Mike Williams plays. When he was drafted TD compared him to Leon Searcy, a long time RT for the Steelers and hoped he would be our Searcy. There was never a plan to move his position.

Also, If you look at the depth charts, Most of the OT's drafted since 2002 in the 1st round have been RT's. 3 have been in the top 10, Williams, Gross, and Gallery.

The LT's havnt been too good.

Simple conclusion is that we should have lost to Carolina in 2001 and we would have drafted Julius Peppers.